main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Clothes and Fashion in the Galaxy Far Far Away

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since there was no thread about weapons in the Galaxy Far Far Away Havac told me to create one.

In this thread we discuses the different and changing (or in some cases non-changing) stiles of clothes and fashion in Star Wars; their real life inspiration and difference.

Also: if you can please use pictures to illustrate what you are talking about, to make it easier for the people that don't have the books/comics that you are referring to to follow in the discussion:)

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Midriff showing outfits are things I approve of in Star Wars!

[​IMG]

And...

[​IMG]

Or even...

[​IMG]

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    People also seem to love cloaks, but then why would they not?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Shirt Junkies, Ho!

6. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    What IS it with all of the capes? Suddenly, the scene from 'The Incredibles' pops into my head: "NO CAPES!"

7. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013
    Apparently some Senators like to wear bed sheets, as well.[face_laugh]
    [​IMG]

8. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    She has a shower drain installed in her tummy... 0_o

9. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Oh man I'm laughing.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

10. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Why does she have a jock strap tho? [face_dunno]

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    . . . Fleece Junkies?

Anyway, I think it would be really interesting to explore the way the concept of the business suit is rendered in Star Wars. Suits are so distinctly of the here and now that you can't translate them directly into the setting, but there's a need to convey that visual image of the upscale businessman in appropriate attire, and so you get a lot of discussion of "business suits" in novels, but I can't recall that many visual interpretations. You would assume that they would be significantly tweaked to fit the setting. Firefly, for example, tended to drop the lapels from suits to create a distinctively different look, and that was in a future-set world. In Star Wars, anything goes.

This is actually one of the tendencies of Jan that bugs me a little. All her female characters wear the same uniform: skimpy, almost always midriff-baring top with full pants (or in Khaleen's case, short shorts over fishnets). Aayla, Deliah, Khaleen, Astraal, all the ladies from Dawn of the Jedi . . . there are only a few characters not designed to be sexy, or who are required to be extra-dignified, to escape the midriff show, but pretty much every major sexy female character gets the same uniform. Talon, who's supposed to be extra-sexy, doesn't get any pants, but has thigh-high boots to create the same overall line. But even ignoring the gratuitous sexualization of it, it's just so incredibly samey. Always a glorified bra, plus full-length pants to distract from the skimpiness of the top. Always baring the midriff. Apparently the cuts of women's fashion have stayed identical from before the Republic to Krayt's death. Like her tendency to make all her male heroes shaggy-haired hunks sporting scruffy, barely-there goatees, it's an incredible uniformity of look that undermines the visual diversity of the piece once you're able to decode the key characteristic every character has in common.

12. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    [​IMG]
    This is how you dress, with a mailbox on your head.

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It looks like the world's fanciest radiation suit.

Zyobot, GrimdarkRose and Ordo N-11 like this.
  14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    And here we see your typical Saudakar lady, dressed for a night in Arakeen with her husband

15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I dunno, I'm going to come to Jan's defense here and say that Star Wars doesn't have to be completely avoid of the sexy and she definitely has brought it to the setting. I also felt that it added a nice little "something" to the Dawn of the Jedi folk, helping signify they weren't the asexual creatures of latter millennium.

That and it's just very-very pretty.

:)

Gorefiend and Ordo N-11 like this.
  16. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    I'm....just going to leave this here.

[​IMG]

Zyobot and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  17. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

[​IMG]

So he grew up to be a Senator!!!

RC-1991, Daala, lbr789 and 7 others like this.
  18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

While not against her style there in general, I think, Jan needs more diversity in designs. To me her drawing of clothes is part of the problem, but what is more so is that all her characters even do look alike. Not just the noses.. she can only draw one type of nose!!!.. but the only thing that differentiates her characters, male or female, is the haircolor/style, tatoos and maybe lightsaber or skincolor. Most got the same face, the same bodytype. Dark Times there had lots of different folks and even a diverse look for its humans compared to Legacy or Republic run of Duursema.

But I'd not say inuniverse that fashion stayed the same from before the Republic to Krayt's death... at least during the OT and thereafter fashion was very different, with a return to ancient fashion style by the time Jan returned it with Legacy. In between there are not that many examples of midriffs or the like. The Bantam EU at least is the era of the "overall" (Jedi apprentices, workers, uniform-overalls etc.) and similiar fullbody covering clothes given most characters depictions that I recall from the top of my head aside the very earthly looking clothes combination in the images below.
    At least those not following Han's fashion trend for corellian bloodstripes, the countless Greedo cosplayers among Rodians or Lando's fancy fashion collection. Also Jedi had more diverse dress designs under the heavy standard robe until the NJO revised that for Prequel-clothes seeing a return to prominence with uniformity.
    At least with Legacy 2.0, an art style I like, Ania Solo is not fitting the typical Duursema style and tells the galaxy at large has more clothes than she drew.

PS: Not sure how many know of it but FACT FILES had several pages on dresses and designs inuniverse that may be relevant for this discussion!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gamiel and Ordo N-11 like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It would not surprise me if Bail Organa's consume more or less represent how a "business suit" looks like in the movie era
    [​IMG]

Abadacus and Ordo N-11 like this.
  20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Xizors get up is properly more in line with a business suit
    [​IMG]

Though of course there also seem to be actual suits, like the Auctioneer here wears.

[​IMG]

Ordo N-11 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    and what is it with the special type broad-shoulder cut of clothes? Xizor got it, others did too and even Dathomir Witches or others prefer to wear clothes with this type of cut/shoulderpadd? something that is very popular among scifi clothes not just in star wars. does anybody know why it is so popular?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Ming made it popular :p
    [​IMG]

23. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013
    I agree, though I would remove the sash/cape combo to make it a more serious and sharp business suit.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Undecided on what to be for Halloween, Cronal decided to go as Space Napolean Blackbeardhole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Re: photo #1 -- first time I realized he's got the Corellian stripe. Any explanation for that?

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Could also be a Sorcerers of Rhand thing.