main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sideshow Fans United

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Aug 23, 2013.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I figured it was time for a thread just for Sideshow discussion. Come in to talk about Premium Format figures, 1/6 scale figures, whatever comes from Sideshow.

In related news - I got my notification yesterday that Prequel 1/6 scale Yoda will be hitting the warehouse around Sept 11th.

Of course that's when it's ship - let's ship him right before I'm going on vacation :(

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Well I had to cancel my Yoda - damn them for waiting on this to release it right before vacation!

On the plus side, he'll be available after I come back, I can just order him in October.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'd like to some day start adding Sideshow items to my collection, but they're still too far out of my price range.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Overseas shipping costs have stopped me. R2dtoys used to get a lot of stuff from the likes of GG, Sideshow, Attakus, etc and as they were located in the UK shipping wasn't too bad. However, they went out of business and there isn't really a good replacement.

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'd love to get some of the figures, as they have nice articulation and would be great for stop-motion, however, I can't justify paying the $150+ price tag for something that's going to be manhandled during animation. The most I've spent on a high-end action figure was $60, and I really can't justify spending more than that. Even that price took a considerable amount of deliberation before I simply caved.

Though, before I start hitting up eBay for a used Bossk, how sturdy are the 12" figures?

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    That sucks :( On the plus side, I'm sure as the new films come out, new distributors will pop up again.

I have a good number of these - I've bought ones from SS direct and off of dealers and ebay. I was fortunate enough that I was flush w/ funds after going several years w/o collecting due to financial hardship that SW wasn't all that hot so I was able to score my pieces at really low, good prices. Now if you want something you just have to be patient and watch ebay like a hawk. I do find that if you're not into keeping pristine box items, you can pick up items w/ so-so boxes or having been displayed at fair prices still.

I personally like Sideshow figures. Over the years they've had some issues w/ quality in their sculpting, particularly w/ human characters. But their aliens are OUTSTANDING. I don't have Bossk, but he's pretty impressive looking from the photos.

I know there are people who hate them now (read super snobby articulation-junky figure fans,) but I have to say that if you're on a budget, the Hasbro 12" figures are awesome, particularly all of the aliens and bounty hunters. The bodies are bulky but I display them right alongside my Sideshows.

7. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    I've just gotten into the Sideshow stuff. I used to be exclusively a 3 3/4" collector but the new Hasbro 6" has sparked my interest and with only 4 of those being released per wave i decided to try Sideshow out. I have the Medicom Boba Fett on it's way (the Sideshow version just sold out when i was ready to buy it!) and have preordered Darth Malgus. Planning to get the upcomming Grevious and Vader too.

Being in the UK shipping and taxes are very expensive so i'll probably limit what i buy. My biggest complaint though is for new collectors like myself the only way to get older figures is to buy them on eBay and pay ridiculous prices with no guarantee on the condition (I'm a MIMB collector). It's not like Hasbro who keep releasing the same characters so you don't have to wait more than a year or two to get a character you want. I wish they would remake some of the older figures, i mean this line started around 7 or 8 years ago.

I would really like to find a Stormtrooper and Boba Fett at the very least.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm in the UK and I've gotten older stuff (mostly action figures) from the Entertainer. You could take a look at their website to see what they have. The website and larger stores usually get the new stuff first. My local store is pretty small but they did have some of the Hasbro Black figures recently. I don't think they do stuff other than the LEGO, Angry Birds, and Hasbro stuff though.
    If you're near a branch of Forbidden Planet you could give them a try. The London Megastore is pretty good. I can usually spend quite a bit of money there.

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I don't know if you all have toy shows but you might try those also - at least you'd save shipping costs.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We have big collector fairs (Collectormania, Memorabilia) a few times a year. Nice if you live near the locations where they are held but any of them would involve trains for me. Shipping is cheaper!

11. BOBA-FETT-82

May 19, 2002
    Thanks for the link, never seen that site before. Typical the figures i wanted are out of stock but will add it to my favourites. I live in London so i do go to FP sometimes but their prices are ridiculous. For example they have Sixth Scale figures that are cheaper to buy from Sideshow even with the postage and taxes. Thankfully i go to the US a couple of times a year and try and bring back as many action figures and comics with me as i can. Picked up the whole Black Series wave 1 and 6" last month. The figures are pound for dollar here so we end up paying a 1/3 more basically.

Sorry to go off topic on the Sideshow thread. Back on topic has anyone preordered any Star Wars from them?

12. BOBA-FETT-82

May 19, 2002
    Would also love to see pictures of peoples Sideshow Statues and figures if you want to share?

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I don't have any SS statues - all I've got are 12" scale figs. My pricepoint limit is around $300 and I'll only spend that if it's something extraordinary.

I had the 1/6 scale prequel Yoda on pre-order but had to cancel him due to bad release timing. I figure he should still be there in a month or so if I want to pick him up. I also plan to pre-order the ROTJ Darth Vader 1/6 figure. You can peruse my collection pics HERE. I collect more of the light side figures though, so mine might not get you overly excited :p

BOBA-FETT-82 likes this.
  14. BOBA-FETT-82

May 19, 2002
    I love your collection! (and site which i bookmarked). You even give Rancho Obi-Wan a run. Well maybe not but you know what i mean! ^:)^

You have lots of cool stuff, some i've never even seen before. I would hate to do the dusting on that though!

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  15. BOBA-FETT-82

May 19, 2002
    I plan to pre-order ROTJ Vader and Grievous but at $250 each that price point is getting ridiculous. I also have Darth Malgus on pre-order but it's been pushed back until December.

I'm thinking of getting a Snowtrooper or Bossk now but i can't decide which. I would love all the bounty hunters but already missed IG-88 and also the Bossk with the Sideshow exclusive head (which i prefer) has sold out so i'm leaning toward the Snowtrooper.

Apparently Hoth Luke and Han are going to be up for preorder soon, might get those depending on the price. They are the best 2 human faces Sideshow have done i think. I do love the Hot Toys Luke but having 2 figures of the same character for $300 put me off.

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Thanks! I'm definitely NOT in Rachno Obi-Wan range, but I do have a pretty big collection for being a girl. I actually don't mind the dusting - I usually do it whenever I have something new to add to the shelf ;)

Bossk is cool, I just don't do the bounty hunters much.

The latest Padawan Obi-Wan was Sideshow and he looked amazing. I got him when I moved so I forgot to profile him but his face sculpt is dead on for Ewan McGregor. I think they finally hired some new face sculpting talent over there. (Maybe I'll work on getting better pics of him and doing a review up, he just looks awesome.)

[​IMG]

I desperately want the Hoth Luke and Han. I just wish they did a Leia to go with them as well. I like that snowtrooper but I don't have the room for him.

Sooo worth every penny. I've only bought 2 items in my whole life that were over $300 - Hot Toys Luke set and my lifesize Yoda. I had pre-ordered the Lukes not even realizing that you got 2 full figures. Hot Toys in general are pricey and Japanese imports so getting them for the $300 is actually a good deal. Not only do you get the figures but you get the awesome light up weather-vane as well. Plus both Lukes have the cool side-to-side eye technology that Hot Toys uses on only a few of their figures.

[​IMG]

The detailing on the faces of these figures is just amazing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BOBA-FETT-82 likes this.
  17. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Pretty cool :)

I have to set up all or some of my 6th scale Sideshow Clonetroopers one of these days...

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002