main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Grand Theft Auto

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediKnight20043, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

It's looking like 7 AM eastern timezone, according to Rockstar. We'll see, though - not sure if they're doing it region by region, so it could be 4 AM for folks on the west coast of North America.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  3. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I was gonna do the download, then give it a few days before really attempting to go online.

4. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    15 million copies sold - within the first week - means that yeah, no one's getting on :p

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Jeeze, lol

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - that'll make our server teething issues seem like small change..

7. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    And lo and behold, it works! :p

Quite fun, too!

8. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    I've created a character, but I haven't been able to even sniff online beyond that.

9. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Try playing solo for a while. That's what I did.

10. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    That's normally what I do when I get the "server timed out" message (or whatever it is). I'm not exactly complaining, I fully expected it to be this way for at least a few days.

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What? No, and that's a breath-takingly superficial statement to make.

Back in the day when we had the NES or Sega Genesis or even N64, games weren't multi-platform affairs. And since they have been, games have been less complex as a result. KOTOR 2 was hurt because of consoles. Deus Ex 2 was worse because of consoles. Hell, the console seems to have gifted us the Quicktime event, which is the worst innovation in recent memory.

I appreciate the trade off is that sales have spiked, but given how many boring COD clones and hell, even official reskins we get, is the industry better off?

12. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    For every CoD we have a GTA V. For every THQ there is a Naughty Dog. Every Madden/NCAA there's a Metal Gear Solid. There's Kinect-shovelware, but then there's also stuff like Shadows of the Colossus. Yes, there is a lot of crap today, but there was a lot of crap in the 80s and 90s too. Don't like listening the raging racist rants (didn't plan on any alliteration like that at the outset....) of random 12 years olds on Xbox Live? Mute the little twits. Yes there are EAs and Activisions of the world, but there are plenty of smaller devs still out there kicking ass and taking names.

There is still a ton of creativity in gaming. You just have to know where to look.

Darth_Invidious and timmoishere like this.
  13. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Oh, and pure [face_rofl] at KotOR II suffering because of consoles. It suffered from being incredibly rushed. KotOR was on a console, and that game was just fine.

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It was rushed so the Xbox version would be released before Christmas.

Ender Sai likes this.
  15. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Consoles still aren't what hurt KotOR II, though. A crap development timetable is what did that. Plenty of PC games (without console versions) have suffered from that over the years.

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
  17. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    dammit, they patched that package exploit. i am bugged!!!

18. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Except that THQ never made games, as far as I'm aware, and they published a lot of great game. Only a few I can think of: the Dawn of War series (Relic made those), the Saints Row series (Volition made those), Space Marine (another Relic title), the Red Faction series (another Volition series), and Dark Siders (which were made by Vigil). EA and Activision are just publishers too, they don't make the games either. I do agree on the smaller dev studios though.

You do make some good points. There's a lot of great stuff coming out from smaller studios. It's not always easy to find, but it's there. I recommend the Humble Bundles for great indie titles, especially as it's pay what you want and some money goes to charity. Double Fine have done some great games before and they're doing two brand new indie titles, one of which I backed on kickstarter.

I think what's hurting games isn't the consoles themselves. I think it's more to do with lazy developers not bothering to make the most of consoles or try and find solutions that would make the games just as complex. Dragon Age 2 showed that a lack of controller buttons wasn't an issue. They used the trigger to turn the four main buttons into eight. So there are solutions that can make console games just as complex as PC gamers, it's just when devs don't bother that you get things like Deus Ex 2. It looked good and all, but it was over simplified and there were a lot of problems because of it.

To get this back on topic, I don't think that consoles have hurt GTA at all. I remember playing the original on the playstation, and it came out on PC too. They were all cross platform, with the exception of GTA Advance, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, and Chinatown Wars. If anything, GTA has gotten more complex with every game, so it hasn't suffered from being on both PC and consoles. I think it's a trend we're seeing more often, that devs are realising that console gamers want the same experience as PC players and are making console games better to match PC games rather than simplifying PC games to make it easier to develop console games.

19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Finished the campaign last night. IMO, the finale was a bit underwhelming.

It would've been more satisfying if you had somehow taken out the two major scumbags as part of the big final heist. That mission felt like the true final mission of the campaign and the big rub-out operation was more like an epilogue. Taking out Michael or Trevor a suggested by the big bads is simply no option in my book

I honestly don't feel compelled in going after 100% completion right now - if ever - but after playing a bit of GTA Online, I figure I'll be spending my time there for the foreseeable future. If any of you are under Xbox live, my GT = Ghostrider1172. Feel free to ring me up for a score.

20. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    I still have yet to be able to get into the Online game.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Am I correctly hearing that GTA:eek: only supports max 16 ppl per session?

22. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    How come; hardware limitations?

24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    They also mention that they're planning on upping it to 32.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah but still; I had a game with about 64 people in Liberty City in GTA IV. That's before EFLC or TBOGT came out.

To be fair, most of those 64 ended up furious at me and my two WoW guild mates, because I took the chopper from the helipad outside the Booth Tunnel and flew over the streets where gun battles broke out. My colleagues sat in the open doorways and sniped with the M4, which wasn't easy given the limited firing arc available but it was enough to disrupt.

32/16 is good if you are not interested in mayhem battles but if you want a truly chaotic, and truly online experience, surely you want more people?