main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

How does the Star Trek Wiki handle different universe's and time lines and stories that don't follow other stories? Or hte Marvel and DC wikis? It can't be that hard.

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Marvel wiki has redirection pages: http://marvel.com/universe/Magneto_(disambiguation)

So if you stumble onto the Magneto main article you will get the 616 universe Magneto description and from there you can go to the redirection page and check out other universe versions.

This could probably work for SW too. Main articles are movieverse and if you want to check out the alternate EU version you can take the link to the corresponding page.

3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    with the new star trek movies Memory-alpha (the go to Star Trek Wiki) has the new James T. Kirk and the enterprise crew as listed as James T. Kirk (alternate reality) with a link to the "prime" universe character but with stuff like novels and stuff it all goes under Apocrypha

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Indeed, one of my biggest fears is how will I manage to navigate Wookieepedia once ST is released.

5. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    I think all bets are off. This is now a big company (Disney) project. I do not care what they say. Listen to any actor and they will tell you, small movie small problems and it goes under the radar and big movie and big problems. You think some corp exec in Disney give two (you know whats) about the EU in any way? Will there be some continuity? Sure that makes some sense. But can I totally see them going in an entirely different direction away from the EU? I would not be surprised at all.

So strap in. As soon as EP7 comes out, there will be entire segments of the EU that go the way of Splinter of the Minds Eye.

6. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013

pretty much.

Seeing as Lucas didn't care about the EU when he made the Prequels, I don't see why Disney would either.

You have to realize though the fanbase that reads the books and comics is the smallest part of the franchise.

7. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    There really isn't any other franchise that takes the canon so serious as Star Wars. In DC and Marvel there have always been multiple retcons and relaunching of characters. The Joker has about 4 origin stories now and Jean Grey has died like 7 times already.

Star Wars is the only Franchise that has really tried to keep itself all one timeline with very little retcon. Which hasn't worked out to well since the EU specifically the post ROTJ EU is a huge mess and needs a good relaunch.

I mean I love the Thrawn Trilogy but it really doesn't fit into the timeline anymore after the Prequels.

8. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Its not just the new movies. They have the mirror universe and all the books which are not canon.

9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I think something like 5 books got made into canon later, cause a TV writer loved it so much they referenced it on the show. However, yes, you are correct, for the most part all Star Trek books are not canon; plus two timelines (old trek and reboot) make Star Trek wiki really 3 universe wikis under one name (originial (first series-enterprise + movies based on those shows), the books/comics, reboot movies).

10. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Of course there are, Marvel and DC care just as much about their contunity as Star Wars and try to everything in line and clear with very little retcon, they just get/understand that at a certain point you have to restart or ignore for the sake of storytelling. Star Wars is just now getting to that point were the contunity will really have to take a backseat to telling a story. IT happened a little bit with the PT, but not to the scale it is/will happen with the ST.

Ryus likes this.
  11. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Only difference being the movies will remain canon but the EU gets the restart for story telling purposes. Imho though, like every reboot for story telling with Marvel/DC elements and characters from the cut timeline might reappear but reimagined while others will just never be seen again.

12. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i'm glad for this. the EU needs a reboot. after what 20 plus years of Post ROTJ stories, i think it's time for a restart. call it The New EU.

13. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Some people assume the EU will be reset, but it might not. Maybe the EU will continue on just seperate from the movies.

Marvel comics didn't reset once the movie's started coming out.

14. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    There is no reason for the current EU to continue if it's contradicted by the films. There is a number of current readers, yes, but who else would be interested, once the new films come out? Especially if the new films prove popular, there will be zero reason to produce books that don't reference them.
    You don't intentionally split your audience, it's not good.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Sooner or later, this is going to turn into a thread about letting go.

JediGirl_Angelina and Vthuil like this.
  16. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    It has been for 306 pages already, all about friends helping friends let go of a love lost.
    It's really quite beautiful.

Jedi Merkurian and Vthuil like this.
  17. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    no they don't Marvel and DC are all over the place.

How many times have Marvel and DC been rebooted? Retconned?

Tell me this what is the Jokers origin story? Have you read the new 52? its all over the place. It's not even clear if Batman is still the old batman or the new 52 batman.

Then you have all the animated series, and live action films. None of them tie into each other. Yes the Marvel main universe tie into each other but not into the comics, or other Marvel movies like X-men or Spiderman.

18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't even pretend to follow DC canon.
    I just read a story here and there and like it or don't like it. When they start referencing one out of 351 Robins or one of the 135 Oracles or Batgirls or whatever... I just... don't have time to follow that :p

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    DC canon is a tricky beast.

20. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Doesn't mean they don't care about their contunity and don't try to avoid retcons. They take their universes seriously, they are also just more experienced and understand that at times you have to make changes. Also keep in mind they are 4x older/longer then the Star Wars contunitiy.

Whats C-3PO's origin? Was he build 100 befores the battle of Yavin in a droid factory or by Anakin?

21. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

So the fact that people buy and enjoy the material is meaningless?

I guess, by this logic, Marvel should start cancelling their comic books since they don't line-up with the movies? And the Avengers cartoon should be cancelled?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Marvel started out as comics publisher. If they ever cancel their comic line it would be a massive betrayal of their customer base. Most fans also still think the comics are more important than the movieverse.

SW on the other hand started out as filmseries. It was always pretty clear that the films come first and the rest is only tie-in stuff.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Also I'm fairly certain that Marvel comic book readers is a larger number than Star Wars novel readers. It's a small chunk, comparatively speaking.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I have to wonder: What did EU-fans think the whole canon layering system meant for the EU? If even an animated tv-series is ranked over the books and comics, then they're obviously not worth much to the company.

25. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013
    OK, so they should stop making movies because they differ from the comics?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.