main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph And Unto This, Conan: Destined to Bear the Jeweled Crown of Aquilonia Upon a Troubled Brow...

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 25, 2012.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Damn. Baddest-looking elderly policeman I've ever seen. :p

Edit: I do wonder why he keeps acting, though. I mean, surely he's financially set-even if he's blown every last dollar he made in the 80s and 90s he was the governor of Ca. I'm assuming he gets a tidy pension now.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Because he enjoys it?

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I donno. I put on stuff like that at work pretty frequently and I certainly don't enjoy it a great deal. :p Time to retire and stuff, arnold. :p

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Why does anyone who is mega rich keep acting? Because they like it and make even more money. Old boxers fight to losing streaks because they identify themselves as boxers, actors do the same.

His Ten look in that picture is like Badass Howdy Doody.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah. That haircut. Sheesh. Just stick him with the tried and true flattop crew cut and he'll be fine. That or have him borrow a page from his pal Bruce Willis and just go bald.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I think it's safe to say Arnold isn't in it purely for the money- he enjoys being the star, and there's still a big fanbase for him to appeal to. Moreover, I don't think it's unreasonable to think he probably enjoys his craft overall as well. Even if you look back to the late 90's and early 00's, you can see Arnold was trying to steer towards roles that offered more dramatic opportunities than usual (I recall he did End of Days specifically to work on his acting, at the very least).

All that taken together, I can certainly see how he'd enjoy the challenge of rebuilding his acting career after being (mostly) inactive on screen for so long.

7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    It bears noting here that Howard's first two Conan stories, The Phoenix on the Sword and The Scarlet Citadel, were tales of a middle-aged and older King Conan. In a later published prequel, Conan the Conqueror (the only Conan novel Howard wrote), Conan married Zenobia when he was about 45. So to have a grown son (as was planned in Milius's aborted Crown of Iron) he would have to be in his 60s.

In short, the character was conceived and first published as middle aged and old. Arnold is the perfect age for Howard's original vision. And judging from the pictures from the upcoming Ten, the Schwarz is well capable of slimming down and bulking up in all the right places. I expect to see a fit and well-muscled King Conan in the Legend of Conan.

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    My problem when I made that comment was Arnold's appearance. In Howard's stories even in old age Conan was as fit as he had ever been in his youth and I did not think Arnold would look the part enough. But it appears he his getting in shape enough given my last link post.

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Thanks for the support, man.

Ender_Sai and Havac like this.
  10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Legend of Conan talk

Producer Fredrik Malmberg: “As you know right now, we’re concentrating on the story and the script, and then we’ll go out and find the right director who has the same passion as the rest of us in the group. And you always have to let the creative side and let the director put his stamp and mark on it so you never know what’s going to happen with the production design. I mean, we’re trying to get the TOP production people involved. We’re talking all the time about who we’d see doing the production, and our dream would be to have the WETA Workshop guys, the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit guys. They are huge Conan fans and they would be great to be involved on the creative side."

Arnold: “Well, age doesn’t mean anything to me, because I work out every day. I work out twice a day, as a matter of fact. At night I work out with weights, and in the morning I do cardiovascular training. So for me, to get on the set and to swing the sword around again and to ride the horses and all those things doesn’t mean anything [does not scare me], because I feel like I did thirty years ago. So as long as I stay in shape, that’s the key thing, and to keep your body young. Even though you do feel the pain when you wipe out and when you do your fight scenes and you get more sore and the body doesn’t come back as quickly and all this . . . but just grind through it, you know? That’s what it’s all about!”

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I do think Arnold is trying to make a lasting impression as he is at this point someone who can get senior discounts. I am ok with this. I do not want a fake lookin cgi festival. I want brutal badass Conan.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fan-made, but awesome:

[​IMG]

14. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    [​IMG]

Awesome prospect, but it won't be the same without Mako, his KWONICLER, who ALONE CAN TELL THEE OF HIS SAGA!

15. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Ya know, I scrolled down to that just as the music for Whiterun from Skyrim came up on Shuffle. Fits like a damned glove.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Indeed - without Mako who will tell us OF THE DAYS OF HIGH ADVENTURE?

17. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    DUM-DUM-DUM-DUM DUM TA-DUM DUM DUM DUM...

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    "The idea is that this takes place AFTER Conan has been king. But this is the legend of Conan where he has been gone and people say, 'do you remember the good ol' days when Conan was around?' And now it's time for him to come back.

Key team members behind the "Fast and Furious" franchise are involved in the "Conan" relaunch and...

I'm scared.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Schwarzie's Ray Owens character in Last Stand was surprisingly charming. I'd rather see that guy in armor on horseback than Conan.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

Arnold talking about Conan the Destroyer, Andre, Wilt, and paying for dinner.

[​IMG]

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My god, they make him look like an action figure by comparison...

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The thing I find interesting is a wrasslin reveal here. Wilt Chamberlain was 7'1.5" tall. Andre the giant was always said to be 7' 4" or 7'5" while he wrestled. Nope. He's either an even 7 or slightly under.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah the 7'4 was discounted years ago. Maybe an even 7' given that it looks like Wilt's wearing a bit of a slightly heeled boot in that picture.