main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I sadly missed out on the multimedia project, though GTCW, the Republic Commando series, Republic Commando, and the Dark Lord Trilogy told me enough know that it was indeed special. I definitely intend to get the multimedia project, but money issues have made me hesitant to get it for the time being and my library hasn't really kept up on Star Wars so that isn't much of an option either.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, best of all it's something you'd never be able to believe in any other EU depiction. Yet, Ahsoka actually EXPLAINS this.

Anakin desires respect so having a padawan is a BIG sign of it from the Council.

It also causes him to realize how much hell he put Obi-wan through and their bond deepens because of it.

He also gets a sense of how much advice he'd been given was good advice.

It was never foreshadowed but "Master Anakin" was brilliant and really brought out different facets to his character we'd never seen before.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No, you could do the stories but they wouldn't have the specific charge of going into the unknown, would they? There wouldn't be that feeling that say, Legacy, conjured up so well would there? However, I seriously doubt, in this scenario, the new stories would be deemed as replacing or overwriting the older ones.

What I'm talking of is a perfect fusion between films and other mediums - you get to continue the story after watching AOTC, then as it concludes ROTS is out in the cinema. Doesn't matter how creative you are, this simply can't be replicated in exactly the same way.

Now, if Disney are smart, maybe they'll try to take that to the next level with the ST, because the only thing could beat doing 1 film, continuing the story in other forms while the next one is done, then going straight into it would be to do the trick with an entire trilogy!

Valin__Kenobi and Shadow Trooper like this.
  4. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    It was good stuff, particularly Dark Horse's Clone Wars comics, the Republic Commando game, and two of my all time favorite Star Wars novels Shatterpoint and Yoda Dark Rendezvous. Even the more mediocre works like The Cestus Deception were far superior than most of the junk the EU has been pumping out over the last few years.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    It just doesn't work for me because it wasn't in the multimedia project or the Dark Lord Trilogy, and I also don't feel like I needed such an explanation because LoE and RotS were more than enough for me.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Then you will never know the gloriously dark tale that is Jedi: Dooku nor the Vos epic!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I was referring to Charles's comments on Ahsoka, but intervening posts occurred and I didn't quote it because I thought I would get it in before others managed to post.

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'd be against this because it's possible, sometime, someone would want to do a story in that time period and it's BETTER.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Interesting announcement on the future of the Deus Ex franchise:

“The concept behind Deus Ex: Universe is to create an ongoing, expanding and connected game world built across a generation of core games. It’s a commitment on our part to deliver meaningful content that expands the franchise on a regular basis and to deliver a deep conspiracy that will span several connected Deus Ex games, creating a more immersive and richer experience than ever before. Deus Ex: Universe will include PC and console games, but also additional Deus Ex games and experiences available in other media such as tablets, smartphones, books, graphic novels, etc.”

While it's a video game-based franchise rather than a movie-based one, it is one of the other rare other franchises that has a cohesive (if small) expanded universe - so their approach is certainly interesting in comparison, to say the least.

(Also, one of my favorite game franchises. ;))

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Maybe in story terms Charles, but as an experience?

Could someone, in theory, out-do ANH's opening sequence? Yes. Is it likely? Probably not.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the entire EU has been built on the idea of adding to and working around existing stories - only in recent years has that been broken with, in favour of replacing and overwriting.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The thing I actually dig about TCW was, once they wrapped their head around it, was that it gleefully bounced around different tones and genres for each arc (although, once in awhile, an arc would take a heavy turn in another episodes, a 4 parter with Artoo in the last season was a good example of something that would be a certain tone at the start and turns around at the end). But there are many arcs, the Maul goes Mandelorian-ing and the Ashoka Tano: Fugitive ones that closed out S5 were really good and definitely not something you would label a "kid's show" at all. Possibly the best stuff they did was a rather serious meditation on war and blindly following orders where a bunch of clones were stuck with a rather batty Jedi who had gone off the deep end, kind of like Col. Kurtz from "Apocalypse Now". Also not a kid's story arc at all. However, there are more fun arcs, definitely arcs geared towards a Saturady morning kids audience, and then another arc it will get heavy. One can say the show had kneejerk tonal whiplash syndrome but once they settled on what that was going to be for a given storyline, they didn't particularly break it.

Basically, there's so much different stuff in there, once they show what the arc was going to be about and how it was handled, that it really expanded the number of genres and tones that can be adapted to Star Wars. I always maintain that quality is better than continuity and even though TCW doesn't particularly fit right with the Clone Wars projects from 2002-2005, it's still definitely a worthwhile, and very unique, addition to the Star Wars universe.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    That's a comforting illusion but an illusion. Marvel Star Wars and Classic Star Wars was only recently included in this. Also, the changes were very easily written around.

Republic isn't non-canonical. The only non-canon portions of the ENTIRE Clone Wars EU are:

* A shuffling of the timeline.
    * Obsession
    * Adi-Gallia's death (which helps because Obsession is already dead)
    * Ryloth
    * Even Piell's death

purplerain and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    Technicly Obsession is still canon, just not the part relating to Ventress or Adi Gallia, so Durge still perished and there was still a battle of Boz Pity. Leland Chee said so himself on Face book.

purplerain and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Don't forget Barriss' O66 death, and Boba wearing his father's armor (second is a minor quibble).

15. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    Or the huge shift in Offee's character from a kind healer in the Med Star books into a crazy temple bombing terrorist. I seriously doubt she wouldn't be arrested and or kicked out after that let alone made a Knight

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Guys, we fixed these things already. [face_whistling]

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I always chalked that up to the bota bringing the brain worms inside her back to life. Probably set in shortly after she left Drongar. [face_dunno]

18. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    Here is the thing I don't like about Adi Gallia's death in the retcon of her death.

Grievous doesn't kill her. Which leaves the question of "What Jedi Masters that showed on the Prequels, does Grievous kills?"

Unfornately no one comes to mind. :( So for the retcon is that Somehow Adi survives her stabs by Savage.

Esg likes this.
  19. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    TCW always used Grievous as their incompetent fool so robbing him of his old acheivments feels appropriate some how. The poor guy's had a serious case of bad a** decay ever since ROTS came out.

20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Barriss was always a monster! SEARCH YOUR FEELINGS, YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE!

21. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
  22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It was put to a vote a Barris was Revan'd by the Jedi Council, therefore her being in Order 66.

Esg likes this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Barriss' mental breakdown was due to the fact Anakin was made a national hero while she was kept a padawan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.