main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Of course not. Both the movies and the comic lines are too valuable for marvel.

But are the SW-books too valuable to ditch?

2. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    The fact that people enjoy the current EU is not meaningless, but if doesn't go along with new continuity, potentially enticing new readers, the number of people who do buy, read and enjoy it can only go down.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    A better analogy might be Star Trek, where novels have continued to be released for the "prime" timeline since the 2009 reboot.

4. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013

Ok let me explain the difference. Yes they care but not in the same way Star Wars fans care.

Star Wars only has 1 official story. The comics have several that coexist. The joker has about 5 origins ALL of them are official, all of them exist. Star Wars has always tried to maintain 1 single continuity in its canon. The comics don't do that, Star Trek doesn't do that, no other large franchise does that.

edit: oh Harly Quinn is now a Roller Derby Girl and not a former psychologist who treated the joker... so yeah..

5. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

But you're wrong. They have fans who care and if they didn't care their universes would be a huge mess and the fans wouldn't be there.

Star Wars has always tried to have 1 single continuity? So were do the old marvel comics fit? What about the Ewok movies? The Holiday Special? I'm pretty sure Splinter of hte Minds Eye doens't fit anymore. Who created the rebellion, was it Brie lfrom the Han novels, or Bail and Starkiller? Who stole the death star plans, Kyle Katarn or the Twi'lek from that PSP game? What about the Glove of Darth Vader?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, post-RoTS publications (The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader, in particular) do reference Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

Bria was never a major member of the Rebellion- only a mid-ranker.

The Death Star Plans apparently consisted of lots of bits, which were each stolen by different people, and which the Rebels thought they needed all of, to maximise their chances of successfully destroying the Death Star.

And so forth. Even the events of The Glove of Darth Vader were salvaged. It's extremely rare for the employees who specialize in maintaining continuity (Leland Chee, specifically) to declare something outright "non-canon".

7. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    For the record, this is a relatively new policy.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  9. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

that book series makes Brie out as the person who started the whole damn thing.
    Well thats a nice RETCON about hte Death Star plans and Glove of Darth Vader series etc.... But I thought Star Wars creators cared to much to resort them......

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I've got the trilogy- it really doesn't have her "start the Rebellion"

The Hutt Gambit, p162:
    Bria had no idea how many rebels there were on Corellia, but it had to be several thousand.

The reason she had no idea how many rebels there were on Corellia was that it was not necessary for her to know. Even though she was fairly high in the rebel hierarchy, she was not part of personnel or recruitment. Information about the rebel groups on her world was doled out sparingly. Only one or two commanders knew the whole picture.

11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    There was probably more continuity in recent years because EU-readers demanded it. In the internet every small OCD-sufferer suddenly has a voice and can infect others with OCD-ness.

12. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

YOu have them, did you read them? She is the one who started pulling all the small rebellion groups together to form the Rebel Alliance.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Which page?

In Rebel Dawn (p20-22) she's the spokesperson for the Corellian Rebels to the others, presenting the proposal to unite, that came from her superiors in the Corellian Rebellion. And at that point in the story, the other groups all turn the Corellians down (p30)

Later in the book (p160-161) we find that they've finally united- but it still doesn't credit Bria personally:

It was Mon Mothma who had made it possible for Bria to go back into the real action. The renegade Imperial senator had both the influence and the eloquence to convince individual resistance groups that a Rebel Alliance was a necessity. The Senator was better at it than Bria had ever been, and spent all her time travelling from world to world, meeting with underground leaders. Just a month ago Bria and the rest of the Corellian resistance had celebrated the signing of the Corellian Treaty.

Publically, Mon Mothma was credited with engineering the Treaty, and there was no doubt that she had helped. But Bria had heard a rumor that Corellia's own Senator Garm Bel Iblis had secretly been one of the main architects of the Treaty. In addition to Corellia, the other signatories to the Treaty were Alderaan and Chandrila - Mon Mothma's home planet.

That said:

It had been one of the high points of Bria's life when Mon Mothma had shaken her hand and told her that she, Bria Tharen, had been one of the people who had been instrumental in getting Bail Organa to change his mind about Alderaan's pacifism.

Which is not the same thing as saying "Bria started the whole thing".

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Hmm... the EU inconsistancies has gotten more explained these last few years. Makes me wonder how much of it was to make the EU more appealing to Disney, kinda like Disney made Marvel rebuy the rights to many of the characters for movies rights before they bought them. [face_thinking]

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  15. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    are we talking about the fans now? Because there is no doubt that Star Wars fans are the most fanatical out of any of the franchises out there.

Wookipedia rivals Wikipedia as far as information and articles. No other franchise has such a complete wiki.

No Star Wars didn't always start out as 1 single continutiy in fact Lucas didn't really care it was the fans obsession with Star Wars that brought it on.

To answer your questions

Marvel Comics are non canon
    Ewoks movies are canon but a lesser level
    Splinter is long gone from canon
    As for the Rebellion and the Death Star plans I have a feeling that is going to change with Star Wars Rebels.
    The games are never really meant to be canon. Force Unleashed kind of was or at least was promoted to be official canon but they sort of stopped that when they saw how low sales were.

EDIT I forgot to add the Holiday Special.

Ok this is kind of weird it's canon and not. Ok so Chewies family is canon, Life day is canon, The wookie homeworld of Kshhyk is canon, Bea Arthur as the bartendered of the Cantina is Canon, Harvy Karman as a 4 armed chef is canon, but the actual events aren't canon... sort of.

Its' more of its not canon because it was so bad but we are taking everything from it and making it canon.

Anyhow point being given the history of Star Wars canon and continuity its more likely that they will just end the Post ROTJ EU and start new.

You also have to realize what Disney is doing, they are trying to create a Trans Media empire with this, so it is important to keep it all in one continuity instead of having it split apart to the books being a different time line thing.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's all canon...from a certain point of view.

17. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I think I should say here that the idea of "canon" in itself is not as meaningless as some of you are arguing.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Let's assume A) Star Wars loves a single canon B) Ep. 7 will not fit into the post ROTJ-EU (let's assume Luke and Leia/Han have different offspring, it butterfly/snowball effects from there), how will A be maintained? I really think the only way to do that is an in-universe reboot of everything past the Ewok party. Or we get crazy stories like "Jania Solo had to erase her entire history from her parents memory and everyone else in the galaxy because her, Ben, Alana had to hide from a Sith-mutated Jaged Fel and they worked behind the scenes the entire ST to make things easier for our heroes on screen".

19. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Or - more simply, and more likely - A will be changed.

Honestly, I've said it before and I'll say it again: your in-universe reboot is a terrible, terrible idea.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't see much chance that Lucasfilm will slap "NON-CANON!" on everything post ROTJ. Bad for brand. Most franchises seem to be turning towards a single continuity, simply because it keeps a segment of fans happy. But I can't see post ROTJ being used in episode 7 because there's too much there. And I can't see original post ROTJ EU continue to be published. That is simply very unlikely, the Marvel multiple continuity example doesn't hold when Star Wars content is primarily driven by the film franchise. So what does that leave it?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Just treat pre-E7 EU as old stock and pretend it doesn't exist. They've done that in the past with pre-Thrawn/WEG EU and nobody cared that much.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    This is a hella-bigger batch of decades of content with a fanbase that did buy a lot of it with all of that is actually, mostly elegantly, tied together. you can slap "non-canon" on Marvel and 80s stuff because it was a relatively small amount comparatively to how much Mass O Star Wars Connected Story stuff is simply there now, and with a vocal fanbase which can be heard kvetching a lot more in the net age.

23. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    a "certain point of view?"

24. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Like I said: the nature of Star Wars continuity will be changed. What they won't do is (further) alienate the people attached to the old post-ROTJ EU by completely blowing up their version of future Star Wars history and all its associated characters. It would bring things far closer to the "nothing I read ever mattered" hysterics we occasionally see in this thread then they would be otherwise.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    See, I don't think the continuity scheme will be changed, simply because most franchises nowadays do tend to try the whole "cohesive continuity" trick ("Buffy Season 8 comics!" Writers of Trek movies declaring their products canon! Marvel movie canon comics and a TV series! ASM videogame being declared canon - which is then simply ran over by ASM 2). It's a carrot to dangle above fans, and since Star Wars has been doing that for decades I can't see that stopping, esp. now that it's the thing to do. The other option is the movie comes out and continuity guru says mysteriously "all will be revealed" or something. It could DC "New 52" it, wherein they say "Oh, it all happened until something is contradicted" but that is a rather messy entanglement.

Good point about the oncoming onslaught of ST-branded mint content but, even in that scenario, there has to be an official proclamation or something like that. I keep thinking something incredibly lame like a twittering of "Hay guys, post ROTJ EU is non-canon. #welcometoEU2.0" by the Star Wars account or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.