main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lost in a Good Fic -- The Well of Lost Plots Social Thread

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 31, 2010.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    *pokes head through the door*
    Hello.

I thought it had potential, certainly. And am prepared to be traumatized by however they resolve Coulson...

teamhansolo likes this.
  2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello Random Comments! It is good to see a new face here. :D

I agree that some of the new agents weren't quite there yet - but it was a pilot. They need a chance to mellow and mesh and let all of their personalities through. They had quite a few new faces to show at once, with a plot going on at the same time. :) I liked the feel of a big movie in a smaller time setting - it was like reading a comic all over again, complete with splash pages, and I enjoyed it. I think it had potential, and I trust Joss' capabilities with writing and directing the show.

(And I liked Howard Stark's flying car. Of course Coulson would have that - Captain America obsessee he is! [face_laugh])

So, basically, I am just eagerly looking forward to the next one. :D

3. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    You can call me RC. :)

Lola was great. :p

teamhansolo likes this.
  4. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello then, RC! :D

Three cheers for the Lola love! Woot! [face_dancing]:cool:

teamhansolo likes this.
  5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I thought that was a cute ending :p I'm not so into Skye, but we'll see.

6. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Mira_Jade

Just discovered your Tolkien drabbles thread.
    So...much...awesome...
    I can't even...just...
    It's amazing.

Skye was a bit irritating, I have to say...

7. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Random Comments, why thank-you! I had a blast writing them, and now that you mention it, I really need to post that last set. I've had them written for forever. :p

And yes, I have to agree with the irritating Skye . . . I could have done without her.

8. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    The language seemed shoehorned in to be "cool," and I can't say I appreciated that. But the show certainly could turn into something really good, with time.

Anyone seen the Hobbit trailer yet? Smaug's voice.....is perfect.

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    No! Post it here, precious.

10. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
  11. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I do think that I am in love!!!! I just . . . there are no words.

Benedict Cumberbatch was the perfect choice, I think. The perfect choice!! (That said, I can't wait to hear him do Sauron's voice too, just . . . I may be a mess of fangirl goo by the end of it. [face_love])

The way Jackson is handling the dwarves and their quest is just amazing. I am really, really feeling for Thorin in this version, and Biblo is just stealing my heart. [face_love] The thing that tickles my canon bone is how they are handling the White Council and Sauron's reveal . . . but, I am trying to ignore how it really happened in order to enjoy with Jackson is doing for us. Because I was cringing. A lot. o_O

I am trying to hold off on my judgment on Tauriel, as well. As long as she is not turned into a Mary Sue, I think I can stomach Jackson adding her. Now, if they use her to highlight the differences between the Silvan and the Sindarin, I am actually kinda intrigued as to her character. The actress who plays her said that there is no Legolas/Tauriel romance, but Thranduil was very clearly warning her away from someone, and I am curious. [face_thinking]

12. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Maybe she meant none /on her side/...
    Sounded to me like Thranduil was saying not to make Legolas think he has a chance with her...

I do wish it followed the book a bit more...but Cumberbatch as Smaug/Necromancer!

13. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Benedict Cumberbatch is also rumored to be up for a role in the new Star Wars Trilogy. As much as his camp is denying the rumors, Benedict has been less firm on his stance that he's not in it and is kind of teasing his fans about the role. I think he will take the role, myself. I can see him playing the clone of Emperor Palpatine. If he does, can you imagine it? He'd be the big baddie for the three most successful movie franchises in history (Lord of the Rings/Hobbit, Star Trek, and Star Wars).

14. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    That's honestly my only issue with him in Star Wars. But...more Cumberbatch brilliance....I don't know...
    He'd be a great Thrawn, though...

Of course, he'd have to be in Who as well, to complete the set of my insanity. :p

15. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Well, Thrawn is already out the window. George Lucus is dead set against bringing any of the stories from the novels into the movie, though he hasn't been as vocal as bringing some of the characters over. He pretty much is dead set on Thrawn though. He has repeated that Thrawn will have no appearance in any movie. George Lucus is not known for lying to keep a secret like J.J. Abrams or Joss Weadon and what's his name from Transformers. If George says no to Thrawn, then I'd tend to take him at his word, though I, too, would have enjoyed seeing him. I wouldn't mind any of the novels except for The New Jedi Order or newer novels. They've really gone down hill because of and since the New Jedi Order.

16. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    You all know who the Necromancer really is, right? I've read the Hobbit, and know who he really is. I don't think it's too much of mystery? I'd be surprised if someone doesn't know who he really is.

Also, I'm kind of interested in seeing Benedict in the new movie, The Fifth Element. I would have never guessed he would be playing the Wikileaks guy!

Oh, Also...

R.I.P Tom Clancy! Your novels and movies were top notch!

17. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I....don't think they're trying to keep it secret. It's entirely possible his LotR name might not be used in the films, though,

Lucas also isn't in charge as much anymore...but I still don't really expect Thrawn. :(
    I wouldn't say /anything/ before NJO, but definitely nothing afterward.
    *cough*crystal star*

18. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I'd expect that they'll reveal the necromancer's name at the very end of the third movie, probably in the final scenes with Frodo, Bilbo, and probably Gandalf. Who knows.

19. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I suppose that does make sense...as a "but, wait! There's more! Go buy the other award-winning trilogy!"

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That trailer was AWESOME!! Ahhhh I really can't wait :D

I think BC would be a fab Thrawn :D And I'd love to see Chris Pine as Han Solo (very unlikely to happen, but a girl can dream :p )

21. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Well, I'm excited if he would be a young Palpatine. I want to see him in a huge saber duel with the young Jedi or Master Skywalker. Benedic vs Mark Hamil! That sounds exciting!

It'd be like Khan in a fight with Luke Skywalker. A genetically enhanced super being verses a Jedi Grand Master. I don't do crossovers, but that would be one heck of a crossover fic.

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    BC in the Star Wars world in any shape or form would make my fangirl's heart happy! Or in Doctor Who, as was mentioned. [face_love] He would make an excellent Master. [face_mischief][face_love] (You know they won't be able to resist bringing that character back . . . again. :p)

Random Comments likes this.
  23. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I can't see him as the Master for quite a while, at lest, though, because of his association with Moffat's /other/ show...

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    RE: Hobbit trailer - they just better not mess up the barrel scene. That has been my favourite scene ever since I was three years old.

Honestly, I'm skeptical about the film. There were things I really enjoyed about the first one, but the things I didn't like overshadowed them. I think in terms of adaptations and good film-making, The Hobbit trilogy just isn't cutting it. It doesn't have the same magic as LOTR and the first Hobbit film really misjudged the mark in adapting the tone of the book. It feels like some "other" version.

I have no comments about Star Wars and whether BC should accept a role or not. I'm going through a bout of extreme Original Trilogy nostalgia, so that's kind of colouring my opinions of everything else Star Wars. :p

(PS. Hi everyone.)

25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I echo you on the barrel scene! Jackson can make it and break it there. :p

Personally, I really enjoyed the first Hobbit film, even with my 'noooooo, that wasn't what the book was trying to do at aaaall' moments. :p It wasn't LoTR, by a longshot, but I was really, thoroughly drawn in while watching it. I had a silly grin on my face most of the way through, especially with Freeman's Bilbo. I held my breath through some scenes, and had that magical feeling fluttering in my stomach that only Tolkien's world can bring. And things like Gollum and Bilbo's riddle match, Bilbo's first time meeting the dwarves, and the end with Thorin and Bilbo was perfectly done. Of course, there were things that bothered me, but the things I liked ended up outweighing that in the end. I also noticed that the things that bothered me had nothing to do with the main part of the Dwarve's quest. The White Council bothered me with how it was handled. Azog and his CGI'd ridiculousness bothered me. The cutting the interaction with the Eagles bothered me . . . Even little things like messing up Thrain's fate in the flashback bothered me. But that is being nitpicky. :p But, all of those things weren't the main part of the movie, nor the main characters in the story line. I enjoyed the parts that mattered, and decided to embrace that. :)

I just hope the second one will keep that up. If PJ plays really fast and easy with book events I may not keep that opinion - like, was that the Elves of Mirkwood helping Thorin and company I saw in the trailer? :eek: I hope that was just the way the teaser was edited, and not how the movie is going to go. And how they are revealing Sauron is just plain frustrating me. You screwed up that canon past the point of no return, Jackson. No return. o_O

But . . . I still can't wait. [face_love]

. . . I am just patiently waiting for a Silmarillion movie someday. Actually, I am kinda hoping and praying with everything in me - and I am not above begging! The Hobbit and LoTR are amazing, but . . . gah, Silmarillion!!! How I do love thee. [face_love] If that monster is ever brought to life, and brought to life properly (a tall order, I know ;)), I could die a happy woman. [face_love]

BTW, hi Idri!!! [:D]

pronker likes this.