main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I love the idea. [face_whistling]

My only concern would be adding yet another element for Trieste to keep track of.

[​IMG]

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Not to mention that the flexibility could eventually rip off teams who trade good players and get middling picks in return on what should have been an investment of a good (1st round) pick.

3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, nobody ever said you can only offer conditional picks. If you think the player is worth an early first-rounder and you're willing to give that up, then just offer a straight first-rounder (or demand one in your counteroffer).

4. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Yeah this is just another option to help protect a team from getting fleeced while granting the opportunity for some interesting trades. Of course if a team gets fleeced, that's their fault too. :p

Frankly I like the options this gives us, though I wonder how often it would actually be used.

[​IMG]

5. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Every season I can con... I mean negotiate it with someone :)

Sent from a Galaxy far away via R2-N6

Jedi Gunny, Trieste and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  6. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    This means I'd have to assign contracts to my players. Something I have been considering anyway...I just need a reason like this to motivate me.

7. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    We assume that the contract are already in place in the game. I never really give financial terms anyways in my game; too complicated when credits really aren't a factor.

8. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I never give financial terms for my contracts, I don't want to get involved in the economics of the future of the GFFA. I do have contract lengths for all my players though.

[​IMG]

9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I think I was the first to specify contract lengths. Without specified lengths, you have the freedom to release players to free agency whenever you want, or whenever it fits your storyline, since players are assumed to be under contracts with undisclosed terms, which is the way it was done before I started the trend of specified lengths.

Sometimes I regret starting that trend. :p

10. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Curse you! :p You forced us to actually make this game about strategy!

(While I ignore the fact that I was the first to do a ton of different things that added unnecessary complexity to the game)

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    You only regret it when there is a clerical error.

[​IMG]

Vehn, Trieste, CPL_Macja and 2 others like this.
  12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    And then there are occasions where I love having started that trend. [face_laugh]

13. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yea I don't have any type of contracts, even length, but they would be simple enough to make up :p

14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Contract Length: 294, with a team option for 295

Yep, not realistic at all. :p Except the NHL teams keep trying to do this.

15. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Only if you wanted to take advantage of these sorts of conditional draft pick trades. It sounds like there's pretty broad support to enable this. Whether people will take advantage of it is up for debate. However, it does suddenly occur to me that this could also tie the hands of teams--if your conditional pick ties up, for example, your first or your second pick in a given round, I would have to veto trades involving either of those draft picks until the conditions are revealed. I'll give the remainder of today before saying one way or another since not everyone has had an opportunity to sound off.

Also, as GM/Commissioner I might have to reserve the right to veto a trade where the conditional terms seem unreasonable. And for teams who are leery of them...well don't make those trades. :D

jcgoble3 and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  16. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Conditional picks are a risk. That's the name of the game with them.

17. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I'm in favour, though I'm not sure I'll ever use it. Having trouble dealing with trades mostly because I don't have any way to study a player's background :p

And I don't know when my draft pick time expires but I'll be another couple hours still at least. Just have my phone now which makes it hard to write up a post and look at draft listings.

18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Actually you have until the end of day Sunday because we sped up super fast yesterday. However, if you were able to do a post earlier it would be a big help to Jedi Gunny who might have things a bit tight on his schedule draft day. No pressure though. I'll make things work for Gunny one way or another. :)

--EDIT--

Get with it NHL!!!! We had a "super 16" before you did!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    That's because we're awesome. :cool: And because we did it first.

20. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    So what exactly did Justice Eldred do... because in theory couldn't Vesper fall into the same circumstances?

Sent from a Galaxy far away via R2-N6

21. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I think this is the reason why I'm glad Talon didn't get played for more than one season. Too much legal stuff to process. 8-}

22. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Just about to get my post and pick up but Trieste is/was there a time limit on releasing players to free agency? Because I have a few I meant to drop and move around within the system and haven't really had time to sort that out until just now.

23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    You should be fine on that. Just PM him the moves you want to make.

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    There actually isn't a deadline for declaring free agents. Any time prior to the start of the season works! We all understand some people are on different schedules.

25. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    I like the compensation system in the NFL, but see, I'm pretty biased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.