main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Where the **** did the Noghri go?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by THE EVIL CLIFFIE, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    Seriously, what? Cakhmaim and Meewalh die in Tempest and then the Noghri do absolutely nothing to send another pair of bodyguards to protect their beloved Lady Vader? With no explanation? That's really weird.

Although I find the idea that the constant attrition of Leia's guards has dropped the Noghri population below sustainable levels morbidly amusing.

2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Troy Denning didn't like them, so he killed them.
    Can another author do the same for Saba, please?

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The Jedi Academy Sourcebook for WEG says that Leia gave up the Noghri bodyguards fairly quickly.

Why?

One of them beat the crap out of a Senator who raised his voice threateningly at her during a meeting.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

hahahah, that's actually not bad. Kinda funny, actually. I dig that one.

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Leia evidently picked them back up when she retired, courtesy of Zahn having final word on Bantam. Which continued through the NJO, until Denning killed them in Dark Nest.

You would think the Nogrhi would be keen on protecting Allana, either as daughter of Jacen (which is such a big secret that Jacen had to keep it a secret before she was born) or as the adopted daughter of Lady Vader.

Vialco, Jedi Merkurian and kataja like this.
  6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It's been a while since I read them, but I'm guessing that KJA inexplicably had Leia Noghri-less and WEG had to think of something to justify their absence.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Funny, I thought I remember some Noghri in Planet of Twilight, even though they were only there to be killed by the "mysterious threat", the Death Seed Plague.

They were handy for backup during the NJO, and I think I remember they still had some Noghri bodyguards up until Tempest, as when Jacen's Star Destroyer is firing on them, I think I remember them mentioning that one shot had gone straight through, taking out both turrets and killing the Noghri. I think they barely had time to acknowledge it before jumping to hyperspace though. And that's the last we hear of Noghri bodyguards I think. We haven't seen them since probably because the authors aren't interested in adding more characters, even as expendable redshirts.

That and Han and Leia have been on the run half the time since then, and a good deal of the time its basically come down to Luke, Ben, Han and Leia doing something while everybody else stands around. It might be nice to see more added, but considering the average quality of most post-NJO novels, or at least the ones with Han and Leia in them, with the exception of Millennium Falcon, that's not likely.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That annoyed me. Also what happened to Lowie and Lumpy?

9. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    Lowie was in Apocalypse as part of the Jedi's mission to find out more about Insane Marshmellow Queen from the Killiks. Dunno about the latter.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    That's easy. Lumpy isn't at the Jedi temple, ergo not on screen.

11. LightsaberAccident

Aug 26, 2013
    You can only hire so many actors for a book. The author budgeted wisely in this case.

Wait

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Look, we're asking a lot of Denning just by having Han in the stories, so we should feel fortunate and not ask questions about non-Jedi characters like Lumpy.

13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    You should be asking what happened to Itchy and his 'mind evaporator'.

14. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Or Jag for that matter.Thankfully Denning dealt with that problem by having Jag go from head of state in Invincible to do nothing stay at the Jedi temple dude by the start of Crucible. Cause according to Denning Jaina marrying an Imperial head of state=gone from the story, unless poor Jag gives up his political career.

15. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013
    Lumpy was ignored, because (according to Denning) Han is the only competent non-Jedi person in the galaxy. If anyone, who isn't a Jedi, seems competent, intelligent or not corrupt, Denning either kills offscreen (like Luewet Wuul), makes them into total Doofuses (like every other person in the GA), or does something horrible to them (like he did to the Mandalorians)

16. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    You know, I thought one of the more unintentionally revealing bits of Crucible was the snippet where it's explained that Han is, in fact, just like a Jedi, it's just that he draws upon luck instead of the Force. That at least explains why Denning's okay with using Han; he just pretends it's another Jedi who just happens to not have a lightsaber, and since his Jedi all use blasters already, that's the only major distinction. I'm suddenly not eager to look into his Forgotten Realms stuff; if it were anything like his Star Wars books, every character would be a CoDzilla, and that's doubly tedious since those are even more invincible than Jedi. Denning being a munchkin with a word processor does explain a lot, though.

17. LightsaberAccident

Aug 26, 2013
    Han's luckichlorian count was approximately 5e17 ppm by the end of FOTJ, which is not only over the legal interstellar limit, but also grotesque enough to disrupt mass-energy equivalence. Han Solo has a greater impact on the galaxy than his size would suggest.

18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Actually, the whole thing with Han came from Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Noghri have always been in and out. It's the problem of adding something significant to the setup of the universe. Half the authors won't remember it, or won't want to have to account for it, and half of them will want to stay true to it or will find it useful.

And that's just stuff you add to the setup at the very beginning of the EU. Add it later, and it's got almost no chance of surviving.

So most authors are going to find writing lurking uber-ninja bodyguards into the background of every scene with Leia, and consequently into the action sequences and even the premises of the action sequences and storytelling, enormously burdensome. And that's just the ones who realize they "should" be there. Consequently, they disappear often. It's the inverse of the problem of introducing anything rare: if it's cool, it doesn't matter how rare you say it is; it will soon be everywhere.

20. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008

Oh, I understand that; what bothers me is we got no explanation. The Noghri's honour code not letting them fight a descendant of Vader, or Leia dismissing them because they're dying too fast and she doesn't want to be responsible for that make sense. But as it is, they just disappear for no apparent reason.

21. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    That comment is awesome. A real life example is Facebook. Years ago, it was cool, because only a few 'online' people had it. Now it is mainstream. Hence, account deleted. Same with twitter I suppose, however, I never joined that bandwagon. Strange that my 72 year old Dad, did.

22. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Looking at the MF Owner's guide, how did a turbolaser bolt take out both turrets while leaving the main reactor powering the ship intact and functioning?

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  23. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    UPS and battery backup? ;)

24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I have no idea, I just remember reading that in the book. You'd think a hole of that size would destroy the ship outright, but guess the Falcon is just that tough. Checking Wookieepedia, it mentions that damage too, that a turbolaser shot took out both turrets and the Noghri gunners. Although Wookieepedia isn't always accurate, and according to Wookieepedia it was a single shot, while I have the impression that Jacen had dedicated a long-range turbolaser to blowing up the Falcon, as he thought they had tried to kill Tenel Ka (showing what a great judge of character he was). I think the stupidity was that Jacen was really angry at his parents for what looked like an assassination attempt on Tenel Ka, so even while going into battle, he still had a long-range turbolaser battery assigned to blowing up the Falcon, so they were under fire for a while, though my memory isn't the greatest. Anyway have a copy of Tempest? I might have bought some of the paperback portions of LotF, but threw them away long ago.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Do not... underestimate the powers of the Denning, or suffer the Noghri's fate you will. [face_skull]:p

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.