main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ancient Races: Celestials, Rakata, and Co

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cronal, May 19, 2011.

1. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Did the term "Architect" get invented by the NEC?

Even if they're not called by that name, they're referenced in the Corellian Trilogy as the Centerpoint builders, right? It's been a while since I read the Corellian books but I always thought I remember that being part of the backstory, but now I can't remember if that was a later establishment in the Essential Chronology.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think the term "Architect" was invented by the first Essential Chronology.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know of any sub-species to any of the "Ancient races"? And has any of them survived to "today"? And in the case of the kwa; do we know of any sub-species beside the kwi?

I just have to mention this also: the Gondica RPG use a D6-system, not the same as WEG old D6-system but close enough for the Gondica magic-system to easily be incorporated as new and different Force-traditions :D

I am also in the the-gree-named-it-corner, after all: their planet, their hypergate, their catastrophe = their naming right

Cronal likes this.
  4. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009

The Unknown Regions says that certain Rakatan mind traps contain the essences of captured Kwa supersoldiers. So, those could perhaps be seen as a kind of sub-species of Kwa. As for the Kwi, the only ones I know are the Rhoa Kwi introduced in Galaxies.

The Rakata article on Wookieepedia also says and provides citations on three separate subspecies of Rakatans namely the Bukesek, Ikalik, and the Droot that are identified by their skin colours I think.

Killiks are also divided into numerous types... TOR has Joiners calling the smallest of Killiks 'fingerlings' and the Dark Nest trilogy is an excellent example of different deliberately bred castes such as the membrosia givers to the assassin bugs.

Beyond those three, I don't recall any mentions of subspecies for the Gree. Celestials are too much of an unknown so can't say about them. The Columi don't have much mentioned on them either. Sharu 'devolved' forms are just called the Toka but not sure if that could be called a subspecies. Its more the name they adopted when they resorted to primitivism.

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Actually their Castes seem to be subspecies, at least in mental capacity, which is what gets them into trouble once they can't breed new Crafters and Researchers.

Cronal likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But are they really sub-species and not just different biological casts that share the same genetics, like the ants of Earth?

It is interesting that most of the ancient races have so few decedents, unlike f.ex. humans or duros

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we have any knowledge of who build the ancient castles on Munto Codru? Or rather, since they were built a longer, longer time ago, have we seen any theories about who can have built them?

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is that hair on the third kwa from the left or some kind of wig/hair based head-ornament
    [​IMG]

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Crossposting from another thread:

10. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    To me, it looks like hair. Doesn't look like a wig to me but its entirely possible.

Hmmm, I didn't know about those. Checked Wookieepedia and says that those are the Forbidden Castles created by someone before the Codru-Ji. But I don't know if there are any defining characteristics about the structure. Its entirely possible the Rakata did so... there are actually a few planets I think that have structures built by an unknown race. Nirauan is another since I think the Hand of Thrawn is an ancient structure created by an unknown race.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If it is hair, than it mean that the kwa had hair and that seems to be one of the things they lost when they evolved into the kwi
    Why do we always blame the rakata there are many other ancient civilisation, have they become the galaxies Atlantis?

12. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    True, not all should be... I think really its because the Rakata were so widespread following the disappearance of the Celestials that they had littered their legacy everywhere. But again it depends whether the likes of Montu Codru or Nirauan were under the Rakata sphere of influence. They could equably be Kwa ruins or even Sharu remains. Alternatively, there are always the Columi who definitely need some more love.

13. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Nirauan bears a marked similarity to Hijarna - especially in the type of building material used ("ate turblolaser fire for breakfast")

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hijarna

Rakatan hyperdrives could only lock-on to planets with a large Force signature - or so we're told.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is there a readers list of recommended books/comics for people interested in the ancient races of SW?

16. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    DOTJ reveals that the Rakata tricked the Kwa into training them. I remember thinking, "At last, darksiders who weren't corrupted by anyone and/or anything!"

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, the Rakata were introduced in KOTOR. Certainly the current Dawn of the Jedi material would be recommended.
    The Infinity's End arc of Republic for the Kwa.
    The old SWAJ introduced (and gave the most information) about the Gree with their article on the Gree Enclave.
    Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu for the Sharu (and the mysterious 'other' species that gave rise to the speculation about the Celestials).
    The Centerpoint trilogy, IIRC, doesn't really go into the details of its origins.

Cronal and purplerain like this.
  18. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    Best one really I think is Dawn of the Jedi at the moment for some Rakata goodness. Really, its the RPG books and supplemental material that covers the ancient races. FotJ makes references of course to the Celestials... the Lando books had the Sharu, Dark Nest has the Killiks which are the main ones really. But a readers list might be an interesting thing to see... might dabble in making one actually.

EDIT: Andddd I took so long in replying that blackmyron replied with a list :p Only addition I can give are select novels in the Fate of the Jedi books since those talk about the Architects and the Killiks involvement.

purplerain likes this.
  19. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    True. Dawn of the Jedi is basically the backstory of the GFFA.

Cronal likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Gracias, but what do SWAJ and IIRC stand for?

21. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Star Wars Adventure Journal and "if I recall correctly."

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Which AFAIK are canonically the Celestials at this point.

23. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I've heard both Celestials and Rakata.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The New Essential Chronology identifies them as 'The Architects' (essentially the same as the Celestials)

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Gracias