main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT George Lucas, Post-ROTJ, states beautifully why the Prequels were necessary

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Oct 5, 2013.

1. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Even if he couldn't (though I don't believe this for a second), he didn't have to participate. But he did.

And -- as my Nuremberg example shows -- he was at least partially responsible. Vader was no foot soldier. He had power and influence.

2. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    He didn't participate. The only participants were Tarkin and the laser-controllers.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Why would Vader want to stop it? This is a guy who slaughtered an entire Tusken Raider village and then three years later, helped kill the people that he had known for thirteen years, before choking his pregnant wife in a fit of rage. Standing by as Alderaan was destroyed was not an issue for him. Vader stops feeling guilt until he and Luke have their first duel on Cloud City.

4. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    I recognize that. I was just puzzled that Garrett Atkins was saying that after what Anakin/Vader did in ROTS, he was irredeemable. I find that a bit odd because I can't see how what he did in ROTS is worse than in ANH, personally.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Alexrd like this.
  5. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    How is holding down and cornering Leia while Tarkin blackmails her with the threat of the loss of her planet not participation?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    He held her back the second before her planet was destroyed.

7. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    You can see Tarkin back Leia into Vader as he says he grows weary. Vader was actively helping Tarkin. He didn't hole up in briefing room while this was going on...

8. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    I have no idea what you're talking about now...

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Can't remember - could have been a Character Guide article of some kind on Vader.

However, in the Death Star novel - there's at least one paragraph hinting that Vader's there to ensure Sidious's wishes are carried out:

Tarkin took a few steps toward him. Vader could sense that the governor's anger had got the better of him "Terminate her! Immediately!"

Unseen under his helmet, Vader's tight features formed a painful grin. He understood Tarkin's anger - after all, he himself was a master of anger - but Princess Leia Organa might better serve them alive. He would consider the matter. Tarkin could not order, only suggest various courses and actions to him, and he was not averse to going along with those suggestions most of the time, since they didn't truly matter. But Darth Vader bowed to no one's wishes save those of his Master, the Dark Lord of the Sith. Should his Master's wishes and Tarkin's collide, Tarkin would be swept away with the rest of history's dust without a second's hesitation.

10. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Leia comes in with Vader. When she refuses to tell Tarkin the location of the rebel base, Vader helps Tarkin to intimidate her -- he walks up to her and smashes her up between himself and Vader saying he is getting weary of her not telling him what he wants to know.

11. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    And what does that have to do with Vader...

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Aside from Tarkin's extra bit of rank, I see the dynamic between the two as not far different from between Vader and Moff Jerjerrod in RoTJ. Vader is the Emperor's "wrist-hawk" - the Emperor's enforcer, the guy the Emperor sends to make sure that his subordinates don't get out of line.

13. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Because you are saying there was nothing Vader could have done to stop the destruction of Alderaan, although there's no evidence that he was helpless. My point was that not only did Vader not even try to prevent in Alderaan's destruction, he actively helped Tarkin.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The whole thing had been discussed beforehand (at least in The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader) - and it makes sense that Vader would be in on what Tarkin was planning:

"I think it's time we demonstrated the full power of this station," Tarkin said. Turning to Motti, he commanded, "Set your course for Alderaan."
    "With pleasure," Motti replied with an evil smile.
    Realizing what Tarkin intended, Vader surveyed the man with new respect. The Dark Lord had done many horrendous and unpardonable things, but it seemed that Tarkin- at least in this situation- was even more diabolically inventive. However, Vader had one problem with Tarkin's scheme. "Alderaan is one of the foremost of the inner systems," Vader said. "The Emperor should be consulted."
    "Do not think to challenge me!" Tarkin snapped. "You are not confronting Tagge or Motti now! The Emperor has placed me in charge of this affair with a free hand, and the decision is mine! And you will have your information that much sooner."
    Vader had long suspected that Grand Moff Tarkin was insane, but it was not until Tarkin had addressed him just then, without a trace of fear, that Vader was left without a doubt. Vader said, "If your plan serves our purpose, it will justify itself."
    "The stability of the Empire is at stake," Tarkin said. "A planet is a small price to pay."

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The one thing that ROTS teaches us (and people seem to forget, or ignore) is that the continuous use of the power of the dark side corrupts the mind so quickly and is so addictive that one isn't able to control him or herself when committing acts of aggression.

16. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Yes, that book (my favorite EU book, probably), is the reason I think Vader shouldn't be held responsible. He kinda thought it wasn't a good idea, so I have that in my personal canon.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No, that's Tarkin. Vader doesn't say anything at all. He doesn't speak again until the conference room scene when Tarkin learns that Leia lied to them, in spite of the threat to Alderaan.

Garrett Atkins likes this.
  18. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Thinking something isn't a good idea but helping an insane person carry out their plan doesn't remove your responsibility, though.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He may not have thought it was a particularly good idea, but he went along with it.

The Death Star version of that scene is slightly different:

Death Star
    "I think it's time we demonstrated the full power of this station," Tarkin said. He looked back at his officer. "Set your course for Alderaan."
    The man mumbled something and left, but Tarkin was already thinking ahead. If Princess Leia was a thorn in the Empire's side, then Alderaan was a forest of thorns.
    Well, it was time to purge that forest. With fire.
    Tagge started to say something but apparently thought better of it. Tarkin smiled almost benignly and said, "I understand your concerns, General. Rest assured I've spoken with Emperor Palpatine recently about demonstrating his battle station's range and strength. He has assured me that I have full rein to do so." He looked at Vader. "You disapprove, Lord Vader?"
    "Not at all, Governor."

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  20. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    You took my quote out of context. What I originally said was:

Leia comes in with Vader. When she refuses to tell Tarkin the location of the rebel base, Vader helps Tarkin to intimidate her -- he walks up to her and smashes her up between himself and Vader saying he is getting weary of her not telling him what he wants to know.

"he walks up to her and smashes her up between himself and Vader saying he is getting weary of her not telling him what he wants to know"

Clearly, the "he" here is Tarkin, although my apologies for not making that clearer.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    According to the new Brian Wood Star Wars comic book (set 2 months after ANH), the bruises Vader's grip left on Leia's arms in that scene took weeks to fade.

The Emperor has removed Vader from his post as Supreme Commander after the loss at Yavin, and pointedly reminds him of his failure in the comic.

22. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    This thread alone demonstrates why the EU is beyond worthless. It's a great scene in the movie and it's fun to debate what was going on behind the scenes between Vader and Tarkin without silly, half-rate writers forcing contradictory (not to mention ridiculous) explanations down our throats.

As for the matter at hand, the movie makes is apparent Vader certainly shares some culpability for the destruction of Alderaan. The exact nature of his relationship with Tarkin is unclear, but he certainly doesn't protest when Tarkin makes his diabolical plans known.

23. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    To me, redemption implies a good/positive act that is roughly equal to the bad/negative act that preceded it. In Vader/Anakin's case, I don't think killing Palpatine to save his son redeems him from all the atrocities he was a part of from ROTS to ROTJ.

24. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Lucas might have been going for a more Christian notion of redemption, perhaps. In that sense, it's not about doing a good act equal to the bad acts you've done but repenting of your sins, seeking salvation, and trying to atone in whatever manner you can. Given that Anakin's atonement causes him to die, well, one can argue that it fits the parameters.

I've always felt, though, that redemption isn't liking balancing a bank account. Even if you save someone's life, that won't bring back the person you've killed. You can't take away their loved ones' pain at the loss. Redemption is more about admitting to your wrongdoing and then acting in a manner that rescinds your previous actions -- even if you can never truly make up for them. My thoughts on the matter, anyway.

I do think that Lucas was right about Luke being validated, though, in that it was Luke's faith in his father that saved his life and, ultimately, the galaxy.

25. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    This. Whether or not we as an audience can forgive Anakin for everything he's done is irrelevant. Lucas isn't asking us to do that. The power or Vaders "redemption" comes solely from the idea that a man so far gone in darkness, a cold, ruthless villain, can find his heart again, and experience compassion. Take away all the spaceships and lightsabers and aliens, and that concept is still amazing to behold.