main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit you're gonna think i'm crazy but...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jacktherack, Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    I actually like Kevin J Anderson better then Matthew Stover. I honestly don't see why people dislike kja, his jedi academy trilogy and darksaber were very good books. i'm reading shatterpoint and it's not a bad book but with really good books it's hard for me to stop reading them, and i don't feel that way with shatterpoint.

2. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Are you saying that KJA writes about things you're interested in?

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I won't say KJA is better than Stover but I love KJA's style of writing. JAT and Darksaber are great books imo.

Giovs likes this.
  4. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Yeah KJA's not bad, however IMO I have not read any Star Wars books that could come close in quality to Stover's Traitor or RotS novelization except for Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Also I found KJA's IG 88 story "Therefore I Am" incredibly stupid, especially the whole IG is the Death Star bit. Other than that story though, I find his other stuff to be pretty good, especially the Tales of the Jedi comics.

5. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I don't mind him, but I certainly don't think he's better than Stover. The Jedi Academy Trilogy and Darksaber were both decent reads, but they didn't blow me away or make me think during and after reading them.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    not really, i don't like the post rotj era any more then the clone wars era. it's just some of stover can go on and on about somthing and it gets boring at times.

7. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I second the statement that IG-88 is KJA's worst and TOTJ is KJA's best.
    I (like most people) enjoy the "on and on", but you don't have to.

8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  9. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    His writing style is pretty bland and mediocre, much like Denning's and Karpyshyn's. Very simplistic prose, nothing memorable or artful about it. No subtext or deeper meaning, no interesting use of literary devices, no clever turns of phrase. It's fine if you're just looking for a simple, straightforward story with lasers and bad guys who do bad things because they're bad, but if his books didn't have STAR WARS on the cover they'd probably just be one of those cheap paperback adventure/thriller novels people read to kill time in the airport and then forget about.

10. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    ok, i admit the ig-88 story in tales of the bounty hunters is one of the worst things ever.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Stover is way better than KJA, but KJA's books aren't as bad as a lot of people say.

Yes, I especially enjoyed Darksaber. I mean, I disliked the silly name of the new Hutt-created-lightsaber-shaped-Death-Star, and the go-back-to-random-OT-planets-because-reasons was a little silly, but overall the book was fun; I liked that we got to see Nal Hutta for a while (that didn't seem to happen much in Bantam); and General Madine having a leading role was great (except for the fact that he died :(). Plus, even though I infinitely prefer Wedge/Iella, in this case Wedge/Qwi was fun. And I did like Mara and Callista's one conversation.

Yeah, the IG-88 story was pretty bad. But the others are good.

Yeah, that's the thing. I absolutely love reading things that make me think. And KJA's books...don't. But on the other hand, KJA's are pretty much classic Star Wars...adventurous, heroic, and humorous.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But isn't that what Star Wars is built upon?

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Star Wars is built upon the absence of subtext, deeper meaning, and literary devices?

Revanfan1 and instantdeath like this.
  14. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    And now you've confirmed my suspicions... lol jk, just have to disagree. Stover is a great author.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It stopped being a "simple, straightforward story with lasers and bad guys who do bad things because they're bad" when we found out Vader really was Luke's father after all.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The Empire Strikes Back is a lot more nuanced than most people acknowledge.

17. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    About a few months ago I would have said the hate for KJA is overblown. Then I reread his books.

Yeah, he's terrible.

vadimk, TKT, RC-1991 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No, cheap paperback adventure novels people read to kill time in the airport and b-movies;)

19. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I can understand that Stover isn't for everybody. But I honestly can't wrap my head around someone over the age of nine thinking that KJA's books are better. Catherine already explained why.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There has to be some level of twisted genius in a writer who comes up with the idea of having The Emperor trap the guy who designed the Death Star in a steel cage and then torture him to death, clone him, kill him, and bring him back to life every time as a means of eternal punishment.

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Death by Pirana beetles, thrown out of an airlock, lowered into a vat of molten copper, clouds of acid mist among other forms of death not counting his final death by firing squad. Sucks to be him.

Revanfan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    To repeat: "Piranha. Beetles"

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    My displeasure in this assertion is infinite.

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Palpy's sure is a sadistic nutcase isn't he?
    How the heck did he come up with that?
    On second thought I think I don't I want to know.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The hard part of this thread is figuring out how to dispute the claim without being condescending.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.