main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I really hope that the Rebels aren't presented as "terrorists" fighting a "benevolent" Empire.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I hope they are in at least one arc.

The entire show shouldn't be done that way but different perspectives are far more interesting than being dictated (pun intended) as an audience which side we're "supposed to" be on.

I mentioned in the other thread the lack of perspective on TCW Separatists as anything other than as electrocution-happy cackling thugs. The one attempt to portray a "good" Separatist was pretty lame, and got turned around later when Bieber started squealing about vengeance.

Rebels needs to do better.

3. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    If you haven't already, you might want to check out I.M.P.S. The Relentless. It's a fan made series with very high production quality, acting, effects work et al... oh and it's narrated by Peter Cullen (voice of Optimus Prime). It's told from exactly the POV you describe... it could pretty much be called an imperial propaganda film. It follows the lives of imperial troops and service personnel, and casts the empire as a benevolent, peace-keeping, order-enforcing entity fighting terroristic militants, smugglers, pirates and general assorted scum.

I can't recommend it enough.

Here:

Part 1:

Part 2 was split into 3 pieces on youtube for some reason:

Part 3 isn't out yet. It's slow going and usually takes 2 or 3 years per release. Part 3 was supposed to be out at some point in 2013 though I don't know if it's still on schedule. We'll see.

4. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    There may be people (clones included) in the Empire who mean well, but the fact is that the Empire is a malevolent dictatorship that's eager to fire upon unarmed protestors.

darth fluffy likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Well, yeah. But if all the characters saw them that way, Palpatine would have never accumulated as much power as he did, and the Alliance wouldn't have taken 20 years to form well enough to win a major battle.

What about all those Senators who cheered when Palpatine declared himself Emperor? What were they thinking? I'm interested in their perspectives on this, not just a story in which the good guys wear white (or brown), the bad guys wear black (or armor), the end.

6. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    I wasn't disputing that. Just pointing out the existence of IMPS when you reminded me of it, by talking about the Empire being depicted in a good light.

It should be noted that quite a lot of the Alliance's best men are former Imperial military. Including Han Solo (though admittedly he didn't defect directly from the Empire to the Alliance, but he ended up with them eventually). Once-loyal Imperial servicemen who became disgusted with the oppression and atrocities they were being told to be part of, and defected.

purplerain likes this.
  7. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I have no problem with characters who incorrectly believe the Empire to be good.

8. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    If you ever played TIE Fighter you have to deal with at least two admirals who are defecting to the Rebellion. One of them was honorable, disgusted by the empire. The other was only after the money. Zaarin and Harkov. You get Zaarin after being put under Thrawn's command, his ship gets blown up and he is killed. Harkov gets captured and hauled in front of Vader, whereupon this happens:

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  9. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    In the OT, the clones seem to have become just like the battle droids they once fought against. I wonder if Rebels will reflect that.

10. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    Since you watch a lot of anime, do you know of many that do a good job focusing on the villains, like western cartoons like TCW and Transformers Prime do?

purplerain likes this.
  11. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Tarkin was a moustache-twirling villain in ANH.

12. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    My personal favorite anime of all time is Legend of Galactic Heroes, a story in which who exactly the "good guy" and the "bad guy"are will depend heavily on your own personal philosophy of life. An argument could be made either way.

Nadia: Secret of Blue Water is some classic Gainax that gets you close to the villain Miss Grandis.

Rozen Maiden does a lot of that. And also Red Garden, which is fascinating for other reasons (it's set entirely in New York, and it's interesting to see what the Japanese think that being an American teenager is like). Tiger and Bunny, too - which is just a great show on anywayl.

On the more comedic side, there's Astro Fighter Sunred.

JediGirl_Angelina and HEDGESMFG like this.
  13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    LoGH is one of the best written space operas in existence, truly deserves a mention.

Though let it be said that the show does truly have some despicable villians, they're just not quite as obvious to everyone in universe at the time... their motivations are either well explained enough, or suitably ambiguous. I highly suggest the show to any fan who can enjoy massive fleet battles, older anime, and a long series with a lot of well developed narration and exposition.

Though Rebels will be an entirely different beast, I suspect... but still, I have no doubt we'll see the Empire from multiple views, just as Filoni 'finally' addressed the issue of the populous developing anti-Jedi sentiments late in the war in TCW's final arcs.

14. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Yeah, it would probably be best to borrow a line from George Lucas and say that in LoGH there are heroes on both sides - and villains on both sides. Which side on balance is the "good guy" and which is the "bad guy" is something that will depend on how you see the world.

Even among the characters themselves - sometimes the "heroes" do dishonorable things, sometimes characters who start off as morally questionable rise to the occasion and become better people, sometimes your heart breaks as you watch characters you like make terrible mistakes, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between "evil" and "ruthless in fighting for a good cause"... the show can get very morally complex.

HEDGESMFG likes this.
  15. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Ah, thank you. Nadia is one of my all-time favorite anime series like EVER. And indeed it does a great job in focusing on the villians, but not just with Grandis, Hanson and Sanson. The whole empire run by Gargoyle is show perfectly: operating in secret, describing their interntions of world domination, their origin story, how their society is working and built up, how their superweapon, the Tower of Babel operates and everything. The contrast to the actual "good side" is amazing.

Fushigi Yuugi also does a terrific job with the portrayal of the enemy side, the Seiryuu warriors.

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The only anime I like is Outlaw Star, but this Legend of Galactic Heroes show sounds pretty cool.

17. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    As much as I love it, I have to say that LoGH isn't for everybody. As Carl Horn once put it: "Just because it's long and boring doesn't mean it isn't good". It does have stretches of being boring, slow-paced, convoluted, and overly complex. But if you stick with it, it can be very rewarding.

If you want something that moves at a TCW pace, LoGH might not be your thing. The closest western scifi show I'd compare it to would be Babylon 5, which could also be slow and complex, and wasn't for everybody.

HEDGESMFG likes this.
  18. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Considering the marketing potential, I'm surprised they didn't make a show about the big 3 in between the OT movies.

On another note, since the TCW Order 66 preview has flying Super Battle Droids, perhaps Rebels will have flying Stormtroopers.

19. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Things were different back in the 70s and 80s. Thy couldn't have done the kind of high-quality, serious storytelling we saw in TCW (at least when it was at its best).

Let's not forget how things turned out when they tried making an animated series out of another popular action franchise of the era:

20. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    TCW already had flying clone troopers, on several occasions. Flying stormtroopers are almost inevitable at some point.

purplerain likes this.
  21. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I meant taking place in between the OT movies. I didn't mean from 1977-1983.

22. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    Thanks for the recommendations, after watching the trailers for them Tiger and Bunny and Astro Fighter Sunred seems like the ones that I would like the most since they seem to have more of a sci fi/ fantasy setting than the others.

It seems to me that anime tends to better than western cartoons in terms of having the villains win more and being less predictable. I'm looking for animes that have alien/monster characters not just humans.

23. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    T minus approximately three hours until an amazing... 15 seconds.... of Rebels. :rolleyes: :p Well at least it's something. I'm predicting a logo and "coming Fall 2014", some John Williams, a Ghost flyby, a TIE flyby, a Stormtrooper... and at least one shot of the main heroes.

VanishingReality likes this.
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks for the reminder. I really hope I don't have to burn my TV tonight.

JediGirl_Angelina and purplerain like this.
  25. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I doubt there will be enough content to set off any alarms.