main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    Oh i agree they won't do that. That would be stupid especially since less then 1% of the fans even know those stories.

It would only confuse the larger audience.

Vthuil likes this.
  2. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Yeah, I agree, no reason multiple continuities can't exist. Who here has been reading "The Star Wars"? Let's have a universe where that story is canon and could actually potentially continue beyond the 8 issues.

Not really. Seriously though, if all things were ideal, I'd want the good stuff of the EU safe and for it to seemingly integrate well with Episode VII onward. But if they really had to retcon everything, a big "Crisis on Infinite Earths-style" crossover event is more likely the favorable option. Dark Horse could totally do it if they wanted to with their Star Wars Legacy comics set in the far-future. Doing a big crossover event in the comics would probably give the readers proper closure into what happened to characters we've been following around for 10+ years, that's why the crossover option is better. Plus it could also give the chance at cleaning up any plot holes etc. It would feel like a cop-out if they came out and said "Hey you know that book you read that you spent X amount of dollars on? Yeah, that book, it's pretty much garbage and it never happened." You also used the "cancelling a TV show" analogy here, so I'll say this, if you "cancel the show" rather than giving us a proper ending, you'll probably repeat history when a little show called Firefly was cancelled. Other than Batman fans from what I've encountered, Firefly fans in this day and age tend to be a bit scary, so basically it'll be like that multiplied by several tenfolds.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I do think multiple continuities can exist but I'm wondering how it would pull off, or if they would want to, in the "Star Wars is one big continuity" party line that has been going on since forever. "The Star Wars" does point out that it is possible it could be done. I agree that the whole point behind retcon stories is that it folds the old continuity into the new as opposed to simply stating the canon has changed in a Facebook post or something. Completely made-up theory: if Marvel gets the Star Wars franchise (will they? Dunno. Maybe. Look at the Disney books that are by Marvel now and not farmed out to smaller publishers like they were before Disney bought Marvel), they kick it off with one of their old standbys "NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!" mini-series with their top-tier talent which sandblasts the old continuity away.

(aside: I do think Firefly got it's proper ending with "Serenity" but one could look at the movie and use the "TV finale where everybody dies" argument. But, hey, death is an ending! A rather, uh, permanent one. Usually.)

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Anyone who defines "closure" as "killing everyone" is not speaking the same language I do.

I mean, there really is nothing else to say besides that.

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    As I've said before, if in the film Han and Leia have a son and a daughter who aren't called Jacen, Jaina or Anakin how on Earth can they retcon that? Pretty much every bit of EU material with even a mention of Jacen, Jaina and Anakin in them will be eradicated from existence. That's just one example of how any future SW films will impact the EU.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, they will and they won't. There's a big difference between declaring something non-canon and saying that it canonically did happen, but was erased from existence. (And of course, either way it's not like the actual material will be destroyed by Disney Thought Police).

I've said all along that the ST team both won't and shouldn't worry about keeping the old post-ROTJ EU in-continuity. That doesn't mean they need to or should literally destroy everything in it.

7. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    For all we know, the EU could be holovids Movie Luke has been watching, with his family

Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

"Who the hell is that Jacen nephew of yours, dad?"
    "The sleazy holo-producers said we needed to appeal to teens 12-17 and have him go evil so he'd get a lot of holo-tumblr pages dedicated to him. I shoulda never signed that deal, daughter."
    *Chewbacca roars in agreement, gesturing angrily*
    "Yeah, well, they said your death scene would play for the holo-awards season, how the heck was I supposed to know they'd drop a moon on ya!"

It's not that closure can only be defined with death. Closure does not just take that one form, though, it comes in many ways. Sometimes it's a group hug and a high five and a freeze frame. Sometimes Boss Nass gets the fuzzy ball of peace from the Queen. Sometimes Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer get sent to jail. Sometimes Newt and Ripley are sent into hypersleep, finally safe. Sometimes Butch and Sundance and/or Themla and Louise jump to their apparent deaths. There are lots of ways to do it. Killing everybody is just one of them!

leiamoody and Darth_Pevra like this.
  9. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    And not one that fits with Star Wars.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  10. The Shrike

The Shrike Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Chewy:(

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Chewie can die in the movies, I thought it was an unfair and somewhat salacious move to kill him off in the book series (the opening book of the new publisher which felt very transparent to me to just get eyeballs to their product). Fates for those can happily be reserved for IG-88 and/or General Madine, etc. Personally speaking, main and secondary supporting characters from the film series should have their fates decided in the movies.

12. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    If you look deep enough into the EU, multiple dimensions do indeed exist.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Waru

I think Dark Horse is perfectly capable of and should only be the ones doing Star Wars comics really. Compared to the giants like Marvel and DC, Dark Horse is quite underrated(maybe perhaps because they don't really have big movies attached to them aside from Hellboy) and as far as I know, one of their only big selling titles are Star Wars comics yes?

Speaking of that, I guess another plus into keeping the current continuity is that Dark Horse Comics has a chance to really flourish business-wise. Imagine how things would go for them if for example, a tv series or movie of Star Wars: Legacy with the saga of Cade Skywalker was green-lit? or Dawn of the Jedi? or a Knights of the Old Republic(the comic) or Tales of the Jedi?

13. Sheol

Sheol Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2013
    Disney owns Marvel. Disney owns Star wars. As good a job as Dark Horse has done with the IP it makes more financial sense for Disney to let Marvel do it.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I fear Marvel will get Star Wars, I just hope all the currently running series staff will get to continue their work under the Marvel bannester.

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    A lot of them already worked for Marvel in the past.

16. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Yes. Whenever they make a big change. Why is it people can't just like something, they HAVE to be the "best most passionate"?

You said - Star Wars only has 1 official story. The comics have several that coexist. The joker has about 5 origins ALL of them are official, all of them exist. Star Wars has always tried to maintain 1 single continuity in its canon. The comics don't do that, Star Trek doesn't do that, no other large franchise does that. - But as I pointed out, Star Wars is just as guilty of contridicting themselves and needing retcons to make everything fit at the comic book universes. So, really, no difference.

And why would putting out material in a different "continuity" stop people who want the whole story from buying product? By having Star Wars following the example Marvels and Avengers set (Movies, Cartoon's, different comics all in different continuities) proves that fans don't need everything to be connected, and they can sell more product to more people who want whole stories. Why only sell 1 story when you could sell 3 or 4 or 5?

17. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Probably not. But new creative is a good thing.

Marvel did only 1 continuity until they started splitting it. Its not a hard thing to do.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They should retcon it where Luke makes a deal with the devil to prevent his marriage from happening.

19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    So we sacrifice our new and creative comic series for other new and creative comic series? :confused: Brilliant! ^:)^

Runs in the corner to cry that Legacy series 2 only has about 14 issues left, if theory is true.

20. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Welcome to the world of comics.
    And by creative I mean more, series/brand editors.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Creative teams swaps is not a horrible thing. Comic runs should have definitive end-point runs by their creators since the characters themselves rarely do.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I used to think superhero comics were one ongoing established continuity.

"Truly is wonderful the mind of a child."

23. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    When I see a cool comic I want to buy, I usually spend 2 hours on the internet figuring out if I can just pick it up and read it or it's intricatly woven into 2151617 other issues which are referenced every second panel.
    A few times I picked up something that's supposedly "a stand alone story" only to have no idea whatsoever what's everyone talking about for half the issues.

purplerain and ScorpionJedi like this.
  24. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013
    Hell, Lucas has already said that the EU is a different universe then the movies.

25. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Yeah I'd really agree to that notion if and only if a comic or something explored and acknowledged the presence of a multiverse. This allows for some good opportunities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.