main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    She's taller than Savage, and he is taller than everyone else. Not to mention the way she towers over every other Nightsister.

For what it's worth (I can't believe their 1m89, or 6'2 and a half, height for Savage), StarWars.com has her height at 2m23 (just shy of 7'4 feet). That's very tall, especially when, again, you compare her to the other Nighsisters. Sure, her forehead is weirdly big, but still...

2. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Was that supposed to show that Mina was wrong about the CIS and the Republic?

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nah, just that Dooku was an ***hole.

Barriss_Coffee and purplerain like this.
  4. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    What if it was the Republic that took out Mina and Lux just doesn't know?:eek:

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That wouldn't be too difficult. Palpatine orders Dooku to kill her, and Lux doesn't know his ass from his elbow anyway.

WatTamborWoo and CT-867-5309 like this.
  6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    As much as I'd like to agree with you for my personal canon, as far as the portrayal of the episodes to viewer goes it is left highly ambiguous and open to a wide array of legitimate interpretations. It could have just been a split-second Force-vision.

7. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    That's true. But it does not deny its importance. :)

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  8. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Honestly, the more I think about it, the more the very concept of the force just bothers me. Star Wars is 98% Sci-Fi and 2% Fantasy and the concept of the Force being this big magical thing just totally conflicts with everything else.

The Force has always been real, we know that. but the degree to how real/powerful it is is where the confusion comes in. Now I've always been a afan of the explanation of Midichlorians because wouldn't it be easy to say that the Jedi are just skilled psychics over making this a genuine religious type deal? Mortis seems to throw that for a loop and I'm okay with that too. But you can't have both interpretations just lying around.

Is the Force truly the threads holding the Universe together or is it just something that the Jedi are able to tap into? Enough with the ambiguity, and enough with the mystery, it's not making the story any better for me, it's making it more tedious.

9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Why can't the force be both? Strings holding the universe together. That mysterious dark matter stuff. The strands of time. The well of life. Some folks are just born better able to tap into qi energy and with training use it. Thus we get mystic warriors like Jedi Knights. Its easy to me to see how something like that can come to be viewed with worship, superstition, or prophecies of destiny. That's how real life people tend to deal with stuff they can't explain. Hell, you might even be able to say its good luck vs bad luck.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I'd strongly disagree about Star Wars being 98% sci-fi and 2% fantasy. The style is from the John Carter of Mars and Flash Gordon school of adventure stories that happen in a futuristic science-fiction environment, but with a longer story arc made of elements adopted from fantasy/mythology. So I'd say it's a lot more action/adventure/fantasy than science-fiction. There are no moral ambiguities to be explored about a space station called the Death Star that a Galactic Empire uses to blow up planets.

11. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Loads of ways it could be done. Palpatine could just send a captured CIS ship, or a ship type common to both sides painted up in CIS markings and broadcasting a fake CIS IFF, to conduct a lightning raid on some planetary installation where Mina was known to be at. Pop out of hyperspace, charge into orbit, a few turbolaser blasts of orbital bombardment, break orbit, hyperspace... the ground facility / city is now a glass parking lot and Mina Bonteri is dead. But sensor data from the facility clearly showing the ship and its IFF transponder freq got out over a tight beam telemetry uplink before it was destroyed, and somehow made its way into the sphere of knowledge of Lux.

12. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I wouldn t say SW is 92% sci fi either. It's more space romance and fantasy imho than really hardcore sci fi.

13. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    At the end of the day I just look at the spaceships, aliens and laser guns. I see far more Sci-Fi than anything else.

14. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012

Those sci-fi elements are essentially window-dressing for what is fundamentally a fantasy story, at least that's how I view it.

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's hard to say Star Wars is 98% science fiction when there's like 0% science in it. George Lucas literally has no idea how a Star Destroyer, Death Star, or lightsaber actually works and he doesn't care. There are no scenes where Geordie pops up and says something about anti-matter fusion plasma relay conduits. The closest thing I can come up with off the top of my head is Han's "Alluvial dampers? No, that's not it, give me the hydrospanner!" which is actually played for laughs.

So he doesn't like the science part of science fiction, he likes the fantastic, surreal aspects, aka fantasy.

Or, as unlikely as it seems, in a surprise twist Dooku was actually telling the truth and legitimate Republic forces really did kill Mina Bonteri.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This is an age-old argument, and at the end of the day I think there is something for many people in Star Wars, and everyone's focus is different.

If I had to pick a favorite aspect of Star Wars, it would be the characters, how they are presented and how they evolve over the series, whether that series is the films, TCW or the books. I think the writers have done a great job in presenting some fascinating characters and strong character arcs. My focus on the characters is also why I passionately hate a few of them. But I digress.

For some people, the Force "makes" Star Wars, which is fine, but to me, the Force is just a tool used in Star Wars for good or evil. I don't think the Force can have a "will" or mandate a "destiny" any more than my coffee pot can have a "will" or mandate a "destiny".

And for some people, the best aspect of Star Wars is the lightsaber battles, or the ship design, or the aspect of Jedi philosophy that doesn't discuss the Force.

Fans can and often do (I'd say usually do) choose which aspects of Star Wars they love most or find most important, and minimize or disregard the rest.

If we're going by strict genre categorization, Star Wars is a fantasy set in space, but that doesn't mean that there is no place for fans who don't buy into the idea of the Force as some sort of god who must be obeyed.

pronker and Mia Mesharad like this.
  17. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    That's what I meant.:D

18. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    That's exactly what I think. Like it's definitely fantasy with sci-fi elements thrown in like the Final Fantasy series. (Which I think takes a lot of inspiration from Star Wars)

19. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Yeah, I like the variety of Star Wars, the sci-fi-influenced setting and mythical stuff. I'm definitely more into the story and the Jedi stuff than the ships and guns and other "sci-fi elements" though. And I like the Force, it's open to interpretation; and IMO the films made the point of portraying it as something special and mysterious.

20. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    One of the strengths of SW as a franchise for me is that it can touch upon such a wide variety of genres. There's comedy, fantasy, sci-fi, western, action-adventure, war films, romance, political, horror... it's all aspects of this one universe - the SW universe.

So while I enjoy having stories about the Jedi, I also like to experience the grimier underworld of the universe from a smuggler's point-of-view. In fact, one of the biggest problems SW can go through is when it tells too many of the same type of story in too short a timespan.

21. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    So i finished season 4 now. Although the first half of the season was good it was shaping up to be my least favorite season, well until i got to the second half of season 4 and it was just episode after episode of awesome!

"A Friend In Need" has to be one of my favorite single story episodes and it doesn't even feature any of the main characters beside Ahsoka and R2. I LOVED the winter scenery on Carlac. It's really beautiful and the animation was amazing. Seeing the Mandalorians flying over the planet was a joy, the awesome battle and i loved what R2 did with the droids. and of course Pre Vizsla! Love that guys Darksaber.

The 4 part Rako Hardeen arc is one of my favorite multipart stories. I loved how Obi-Wan went under cover and being "the bad guy". The Box episode was a lot of fun and of course Cad Bane. I think i'm a bit obsessed with him now! Nice nod to Indy when he picks up the Fedora and inspects it [face_laugh]

"Massacre" is another very strong episode (notice how i'm running out of words to describe awesome!). The Nightsisters are one of the best and most original things to come out of this show and the battle was epic. I loved seeing Grievous cut apart the undead. I even felt sorry for Ventress!

"Bounty" again was awesome. If you've ever seen Firefly you can see this episode was inspired by "The Train Job". Oh and DENGAR!! Was fun seeing Boba, Bossk and Denger together. If only we could have seen 4-LOM, Zuckuss and IG-88. Maybe something we'll see in Rebels.

The Darth Maul episodes were good but unlike the rest of the episodes i had a few problems with but i loved seeing Obi-Wan using a red lightsabre and then when he retreats he tells Ventress he learned from her [face_laugh]

I don't know what i'm going to do when i run out of episodes. Probably start all over again. This show is one of the best i've ever seen, it's now up there with my favorite live action shows!

pronker, WatTamborWoo, hlc88 and 7 others like this.
  22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    BOBA-FETT-82 I'm getting psyched all over again just reading about you watching S4 for the first time! It has a slow start with the water and droid episodes but once you hit the General Krell arc it really takes off. I remember being floored when I saw some of the insanely epic Force-powers used for the first time in Massacre. The Rako Hardeen arc is also a personal favorite but honestly I feel The Box doesn't match up to the other three episodes since it has virtually no plot development. If you liked the S4 Darth Maul episodes, just wait for S5!

And one thing I can say about this show probably more than any other is that you don't need to worry about running out of episodes. There's so much packed into nearly all of them - even the ones I think are mediocre - that I've watched the whole series several times through and still enjoy the series just as much. Some parts of it improve as you rewatch it because you start to connect larger character arcs together, both within the show and for the larger Star Wars saga.

cwustudent, Seerow and BOBA-FETT-82 like this.
  23. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    I'm glad i got you psyched!!

I have to say though i haven't been enjoying Season 5 as much as i had hoped. It's not bad but the multi arc episodes drag out too long. I'm on the Droids arc now and Colonel Gascon is really starting to annoy me. Also i can't even remeber the last time we saw Padme? Only a few episodes left now :_|

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

We're here for you bro. If you can get through that you'll be rewarded with a kickass Mandalore arc.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the average rating of the droid episodes was a 5/10, which is very low for this forum.

The Mandalore arc is definitely the best of season 5. Shades of Reason is absolutely ****ing awful, ran like a fan fic written by a 12-year-old done in text speak, but Eminence and The Lawless more than make up for it.

BOBA-FETT-82 likes this.