main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official StarWars.com Blog Thread - That's right, I went there

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 24, 2013.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Hired may have been the wrong word. I merely ment they were not told to write that article with new content added as in tasked with it. If paid or not I do not know. I do not even want to know. I understand the sensitivities there and apologize for a misuse of the word hired if I gave a wrong impression with it.
    I also do not blame anybody to sneak stuff in. As I said, it was a lack of editing, not the authors trying anything. And I know editors do a great job too. I do not want to blame anybody in fact, but rather point out that it was a mistake that can happen to anyone. Be it one was too busy to check all sources in the list or one just read past it. That aside, the blog entry has been corrected I see and in the comments Ed confirmed himself that the name of Gallandro f.e. slipped by from an earlier draft. No harm done thus.
    Sorry if I came across too picking on things or the like. Did not mean to be rude or harm anybody's reputation. Not at all! I love what you guys do!

So, Mr Krabbs, when do we get more Blog-Burgers? *waves money*

2. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    It's nice to see you're not acting like an ass over it.

3. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Why isn't Rich's name colored? And the fact that several of these blog posts were written years before for Insider, Polyhedron and Hyperspace makes me hopeful that we might still see Joe Bongiorno's "Supernatural Encounters" published. [face_praying]

4. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Abel, now is the time to publish Vader's Legacy!

Gorefiend and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    At this point, I don't see any reason to not canonizing that first name, because if what has happened to Sev is any indication, its not likely to happen at all if they don't do it sooner rather than later.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Ah we manage to get into fights over class names for more then 36 year old fictional ships, to each his own ;)

7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    It certainly seems to me to be a strange thing to be upset about - I mean, what is the advantage of a character just having one name, especially when we know from the character's relatives that his/her family clearly has two names.

Mystery? I don't know about you, but a mystery is supposed to be a deep and integral part of the setting with many potential answers, like "what is the nature of the force," not minutia like "the first name of a extremely minor gunslinger that we already know everything important about."

(Or Palpatine's first name - if he is Bob Palpatine, does that change a single fracking thing about him? Would "Yoda's species" be any less mysterious if they were just called Froglocks, because they are clearly part of the galactic community in universe, and already have a racial stereotype out of universe.)

Jeff_Ferguson and purplerain like this.
  8. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    Let me add something into the mix here. The very fact that the editors are suggesting new material should not be included is kind of proof that they're approving it. In other words, they wouldn't have that rule if nobody was reading these pieces and enforcing that rule. :)

Personally, I really would like to see a place for this "source article" kind of material, like the Hyperspace subscription service used to give us. But while there is a group of fans that love these kinds of things, it's possible there aren't enough people who ae interested to make it worth LFL's while. Personally, I think including this type of material in the Insider would bring back a number of readers who've lost interest over the years. Though the original fiction we're getting now in there and even the "Rogues Gallery" features are already a step back in the right direction.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Bizarre. This is "officially published" in as much of as sense as we're going to get anything these days, and the first name isn't canonical?

...why not just make it so, seriously? Does Brian Daley have big plans for the character or something?

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Probably not, since he's been dead for years. [face_plain]

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I believe that's the joke.

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, that's the same spirit in which I started the L-canon thread; the odds of anyone else ever getting around to it are infinitesimal, so why the hell not?

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Just put it on Wookieepedia and someone will eventually use it in canon.

Zeta1127 and purplerain like this.
  14. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
  15. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Anything that uses Lando's Commandos is fine by me. More than fine. Super fine.

Also, that's a fitting, Asimovian take on Master-Com.

Halagad_Ventor likes this.
  16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    "Temm reportedly went out in a blaze of glory, defending the station in a waspish, aging Defender-class Star Destroyer against the Mandalorian Supremacists, making way for the station’s twelfth administrator, Attatag Gosem."

I want to see that story. :cool:

--Adm. Nick

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    "After Stark was decollated in an industrial mishap"

lol.

The Strom entry is pretty funny too. Sadly, I have no idea how much of this is in the original comic and how much is new because it's almost all new to me :p

18. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Captain Werrrrrrrrmis

Attatag Gosem!

I are happy.

19. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Well...that's a pretty fitting end for Wermis, actually. Not the best of officers, but then again serving under Darth Vader would be enough to leave most a nervous wreck, I think.

20. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes! I've been waiting for this to come out, and it didn't disappoint. I can't wait to see what Abel and Rich spoil us with next.

I know that Jason had a Military Profile on Wermis cut from the EGTW. I hope we get to see that published when the Author's Cut finally gets to the Civil War section, even if the later portions of his life are probably non-canon now. I especially like the mention of his mission of his mission to the Cowl Crucible. Even if what happened there is non-canon., it's a nice little Easter egg.

I found it fitting that the profiles at the end focused on the major players in the original Marvel comic run. That was a nice touch.

Also, we got the name of the Yuuzhan Vong dread weapon in a caption to an image of all things. We really are getting spoilt lately. :D

Um... Just to make sure that I'm definitely not reading too much into this, was it implied that Master-Com had Kligson 'borg Greyshade's remains and wore him as a meat suit for a couple of years, or did I definitely misinterpret that segment? [face_hypnotized]

I loved that part. It really transformed Temm from the absolute moron that tried telling a Sith Destroyer that it couldn't bring any weapons to his poorly defended space station, into the bad$%^# that stood up to them with a Star Destroyer of his own. The Mandalorian Supremacists is an interesting name drop as well. I wonder if that refers to Yaga Auch's Mandalorians, or a splinter faction.

Pretty much everything except for the last paragraph mentioning his attempt to take over the Wheel is new canon. Even the name of his flagship is new.

Also, Marshall Awe is a fantastic name for an Imperial ship. Bravo to whoever came up with that [face_laugh] =D=

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Heh, the ship name was precisely one of the things I was wondering about -- if they were making fun of a comic spelling or coming up with it on their own.

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Master-Com profile is flat-out amazing. The droid that became a man. It's really a beautiful, powerful little bit of work.

Followed by an entry with a Karrde-esque ship pun and a thermal detonator down the pants. This is my kind of article.

24. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Aside what others already loved about this, I love the connection to Droid World / Droid Space. There is just so much detail in there.. it contains more adventure and story hooks than the entire wotc run had, and they had plenty already!

25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Another excellent entry, I'm still amazed they actually added a Defender-class Star Destroyer reference in there- wonder if they meant the Nebula or the Dragonsnake version. Either way, although it was a blaze of glory, awesome to hear Temm had an old New Republic Star Destroyer lying around.