main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Darth Loocas

Darth Loocas Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2013
    i never knew that everyone wanted to see a monster in there...what lucas did there was beautiful,a monster unmasked & we see a smile on a broken face...we must see the good in him,not only in his last act but in his face too...hence, the smile..and of course sebastian...

2. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Several people I know just wanted him to have a scarier face. I suppose because they felt it fit his Vader personality better. For years, I thought I was the only one who disagreed.

Darth Loocas likes this.
  3. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Lawrence Kasdan actually wanted him to have a much more deformed face. He really resisted Lucas's demand that he not be horrific. GL even thought they went overboard with the back of Vader's head in TESB. I'm very glad GL stuck to his guns on that one.

4. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    no you're not ,

we feared him with his mask on (beutifully designed by late Ralph McQuarrie,i might add) there was no reason to fear him after his unmasked,
    that would have messed up the whole point of the film!

VMeran, SerRoel and Darth Raiden like this.
  5. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I was never really that fond of the music for Duel pf the Fates. Not sure why, but it just never really did anything for me. It just always felt like a tame version of Carmina Burana (which I do like)

6. SerRoel

SerRoel Jedi Master

Oct 7, 2013
    A new hope is overrated, story is not really original. Unexpected hero saves the princess with the help of an old wizard and badass from the evil bad guy.
    The acting isn't phenomenal either. BUT... I still love it, it isn't a bad movie just my least favorite of the six. And for the old timers it's just a classic nostalgic trip. And it was something complete new back in those days, so I understand the love for it. No hatin':D

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    oh another most likely upop opinion of mine by many is that i was very happy with hayden replacing sebastian in the ghosts scene ,i love sebatian but i like what lucas did there because the two trilogies really tied together in that scene for me...since,well,they are very different from one another in many aspects one that bothers me is simply in acting! plus all that u know of so when ever i see that scene i say yes!the circle is really complete!
    well,thats just me...

8. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    my least in three was always jedi,now in six of them is TPM not because i hate it,i actually like it but diffintely not as much as 3 (in PT) and most fave in all six for me is Epv...best SW film EVER!

9. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    i think the one above was my mostest of the most Unpop opinion,lol...since i hear crickets here!

10. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    You have a total right to your opinion of the film, but the 'nostalgia' argument towards people like me is SOOOO false. How come people never use this argument with movies like the The Godfather? Jaws? Rocky? Raiders of the Lost Ark? All movies I grew up with and still love today because they stood the test of time, and its just annoying for people like yourself to pyscho-analyze why fans love a movie or not. ;)

VMeran and Darth Loocas like this.
  11. SerRoel

SerRoel Jedi Master

Oct 7, 2013
    I meant it in a positive way :) Like how I secretly still enjoy the goonies because of childhood memories. It is kinda true is some way, maybe not for everyone i guess.

12. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I gotcha. :)

Then ROTJ would be that movie I still enjoy because of nostalgia. Loved it as a kid, but the movie has not passed the test of time.

SerRoel likes this.
  13. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    had to like both your posts.,carbon1985 was right on spot on about the test of time especially about the significant movies u named they are all,all-time faves...

and SerRoel nostalgia really does play a big part,althoug i dont agree with EpIV being over rated & just nostalgic, i always wondered why i like EpV the best of all was it because the 1st. SW movie i saw at 8 years of age ,was EpV or simply because its the best of them all?

well i personally think it's both.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  14. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    edit:double

15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Darth Loocas please use the Edit function when possible, rather than additional posts

16. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    ok sorry,will do.

spent to much time in Conversations i forget about the edit.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darth_Nub like this.
  17. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I have said for years that The Original Star wars/Episode IV would not fare well to fans who see it as one saga. You Have to watch the Original as part of the Trilogy, or a standalone movie, because it doesn't work well as the 4th episode of a 6 movie trilogy.

Yes, the story was simplistic in 1977, but that is the charm of the movie because everything is so simple, yet the characters work PERFECTLY toghether. The Wizard of Oz is a perfect movie to compare to the Original SW because on the surface they are simple stories, but the movies are pure magic, and have that rare combination where everything works in the movie.

But I can understand fans now who grew up with the Saga or now see it as the saga, because the movie sticks out like a sore thumb. The movie was not supposed to be watched where everyone was related, or it has this hidden deep meaning of redeeming Darth Vader, because if you watch it in that context, it will come of very lightweight compared to the others.

The irony of the Original SW is that the more movies Lucas made, the more the movie became less likeable by new fans. And the other irony is Lucas adding more effects/scenes to the original so it would jive better with the other 5 movies, yet the only fans who seem to love it anymore are the ones who saw it before the Special Editions.

Just check out the rankings here where ANH is far down on many people lists, and I can't remember ONE SW fan as a kid who thought it was the worst of the trilogy.

18. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    Carbon1985
    well its funny what ever you said in your post triggerd something in my mind to add to it in agreement before i see you said it first!!!
    i agree with every word,and would you believe that i watch each one of 6 as a stand alone?

yes every once in a while,we compare,pick faves...but to me all of them are great on their own

(im not so sure about the ST though but here is not the place to talk about it)

i like each the way, THAT movie wants me to like it,if u know what i mean,,,

so i do say my all-time fave is ESB but the way i love ANH is different from the way i love ESB and the others...like u said i love ANH BECAUSE of the quaint simplicity & as u say "Charm",& the actings' so full of youth & the craziness that goes with it!
    the movie has a film school kind of charm to it which i adore...& so on.

and yes im glad im one of many who saw them before SEs. it really differs,youre right.

but still the matter of GROWING up with a movie(s) really matters...im not sure if i started seeing all SW movies starting from ANH to ROTS now in this age would i get to be so passionate about them...well i guess not...when you grow up with some thing it means its grown in your bones all throughout the years...

lol that sounded weird i mean it gets under your skin as u grow.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  19. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I think our opinions are actually relevant to this thread, because I feel the same way about the 6 movies, as I watch them individually too, as that may be an unpopular opinion here.

I think when you try to watch them as 6 movies, or as 3 movies, or eventually as 9 movies, the plot holes and story changes to the movies start to overtake the movie itself.

Part of the reason I can watch them individually is I grew up in a pre-VCR time, and cable was the only way to watch your beloved movies. I watched SW a zillion times on HBO in 1983, and Empire didn't come to HBO til 85-86? And then I watched that a zillion times, and the same for Jedi a few years later, so I never honestly thought of watching them as a saga or trilogy because you couldn't watch them all at once!

You are right about ESB & ANH, as they are just different movies, yet they are both great. ANH has the luxury of being a standalone movie so its the only SW movie that you can get a full experience of a beginning, middle and ending, whereas ESB has the luxury of not having to setup anything and get right into the plot and take the story wherever it wants knowing there is a part 3 coming in a few years.

Darth Loocas likes this.
  20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    To be fair, it's obvious that a very great deal of what you've said about ANH in the past is shaped by having watched the films as they were released. Calling it "nostalgia" is wrong in several ways, but it seems silly to argue that "growing up with" the OT has no effect on how people see it.

21. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

I actually think in 1-6 imo of course that ANH does work well, I like the how we see how far Vader has become being pretty much the lackey, the confrontation between Vader and Leia for the first time and yet these two are quite oblivious about their family connection. It slow build gives you time to introduce the new heroes and of course Obi Wan passing the torch. And of course the prestige environment now gone its about the rebels who use any means necessary to go underground to fight for their right (to party????). I always was skeptical about watching 3 and 4 after but it works well especially seeing ROTS ending to see how far the old and new characters come.

22. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    thats right,they do overtake each other and when u take into account the EU too,youll find yourself drowning in the dune sea of tat....
    but still our only way to survive it is enjoy each work in their own way even the great EU stuff that has been released.

23. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I agree with you, but your saying OUR opinions of the movie are shaped because we saw it in 1977, but I would argue that the opinions of fans who see the movies in order are the ones who are getting effected. We saw the movie in its original context, so you are exactly right, but I would argue that fans who see the 6 movies today are seeing it in the WRONG context. No original movie has ever went to become a middle movie of a saga, that was TOLD to be watched as a middle movie by the creator. So you essentially had this movie that we saw in 1977 that NOBODY was related to this huge story where almost everything in Episode IV is contradicted by the other 5 movies!

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...See, that's the sort of thing that makes people dismiss your attitude as "nostalgia" in the first place. Most people aren't going to be in a big hurry to treat someone who flatly dismisses their opinions as "wrong" with a lot of good faith. Heck, I don't even share the basic philosophical premise it requires (namely, that the creator's "original intentions" are that important) and this post still instinctively sets me off.

25. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    Carbon1985
    what u mean almost "Everything being Contridicted"? well i know a few but i think GL killed himself to somehow make things match..lol..but "everything"?