main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episodic endings in a 9 part saga

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StoneRiver, Aug 21, 2013.

?

The mood of the ending of EPVII will be.....

1. Happy

44 vote(s)
    45.4%
  2. Sad

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Foreboding

49 vote(s)
    50.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I think it should be a happy, stand alone film, much like TPM and ANH. However, it could have foreshadowing elements like TPM.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I'm not worried about it at all :p (But it's still interesting to speculate how this ending will fit in the larger story)

You do raise an interesting point though. IF Arndt has written the treatment for the entire ST as you say, then he has written an entire story (based on GL treatment) that will be split into 3, absolutely no reason why the ending of part 1 of the new trilogy couldn't be sad, especially when you figure in that it's part 7 in a 9 part story. I'm not a proponent of that, but nor am I a proponent of the happy ending ala TPM, ANH or RotJ. I'm much more of a foreboding AotC style ending where the good guys kinda win, but the bad guys are still at large and quite happy with the way things are going. (Nothing is going as Sidious planned by the end of TPM as they are stated to be at the end of AotC).

Actually, as I type this, I'm thinking more and this is the big finale. There is the potential there for us to get 2 sad endings in 7 and 8, taking the viewer to the lowest depths of despair, desperate to know how our heroes are going to prevail, only to be lifted by the final ending in 9. We may end up with 2 more ESB's!?!

kainee and Immortiss like this.
  3. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Could be, but I have the feeling that they will try to hook the audiences on the franchise again and that won't be as easy with a bad/sad ending as with a happy one.
    Regarding episodic endings, I bet that the ending of IX will be episodic in itself, mirroring III and VI, taking us to different planets in a montage...

4. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Episode VII should end with a foreboding twist like TPM. The idea that Luke, in order to help the new generation of Jedi conclude the battle in their favor, during a lightsaber battle with a new prominent Sith or lightsaber wielding dark sider, raises his lightsaber to become more powerful than we can possibly imagine, is struck down, dead. His body does not de-materialized as his students had come to expect through his teachings. His body is recovered and given a Jedi funeral. In the battle the Jedi win, due in large part to Luke. The Jedi attempt to commune with him, but fail. They discuss this development and conclude that the Force his been diminished and the jediknights are feeling weak in strength.

In this way Luke mirrors both Obi-Wan and fellow green saber wielding elder Qui-Gon but leaves the action mysteriously and his followers are left, isolated and alone to continue their mission. No help like Luke had from the Netherworld. In fact the Netherworld needs the mortals.

StoneRiver likes this.
  5. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    It should end with Leia in bed with the final scene being shot in "Black and White" and her saying... " You were the Tin Man..."

6. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Should the ST be a new conflict or part of a continuing conflict?

7. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    IMO-it will be Luke for a variety of reasons.

8. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    A larger continuing conflict throughout the ST IMO.
    I think it's very possible we'll see the demise of both Luke and Han in EPVII. (But Luke will return at some point - ghost, maybe later on in the ST missing VIII completely if your theory is right Immortiss)

Yeah, defo foreboding for me. The heroes will win the battle of EPVII but not without some heavy losses and the antagonist will still be at large.

Immortiss likes this.
  9. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Why are we only choosing between happy, sad, and foreboding? There are other emotions, you know. Like angry, suspicious, bored, drunk. I would love to see a Star Wars movie with a drunk ending.

10. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Not an emotion, but a mysterious ending would be fun.

Darth_Articulate and StoneRiver like this.
  11. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013

12. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

13. CarboniteSolo

Oct 11, 2013
    I always thought it would be cool to kind of wrap things up at the end of Episode IX with Luke (who should get the Jedi Funeral pyre scene as well) who watches over his son and the Solo children and teaches and guides them on their journey throughout the Sequel Trilogy.

The ending of Episode IX however, should end with Jaina Solo and her baby daughter/son living on the old Lars homestead as Uncle Luke's Force ghost watches over them. This trilogy should end at the Lars Homestead. We shouldn't see Tatooine at all, until the end of Episode IX when Luke tells Jaina to go there.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    But why would Luke want his niece to live in a place that he himself hated and also has some pretty disturbing memories for him as the site where his aunt and uncle were murdered?

15. CarboniteSolo

Oct 11, 2013
    It will be a happy, yet foreboding mood, similar to that of The Phantom Menace.

16. CarboniteSolo

Oct 11, 2013
    It's a great place to hide, who wants to go to Tatooine? I mean really! Nobody will find you there. Luke, although he hated the place, grew up there and had better values.

17. CarboniteSolo

Oct 11, 2013
    Don't forget, his grandmother is buried there too.

18. CarboniteSolo

Oct 11, 2013
    I have a feeling you're right on this.
    Han will probably get killed, or at least presumed dead with him returning in Episode VIII and telling Leia, "Never tell me the odds."

19. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    There is no way I could imagine that to happen. o_O

20. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    you gotta wonder if Luke does die in Episode VII, if it will be Ben (if the character of Ben Skywalker) does appear in the movie, if it will be him to take up his father's blade and cut down his attacker (not the main bad guy but the bad guy's apprentice) like Obi-Wan did with qui-gon's in TPM.

21. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004

Could make an interesting mirror

22. CarboniteSolo

Oct 11, 2013
    I do think it will be like this though.

Ep VII Somewhat happy but foreboding.
    Ep VIII Sith Win.
    Ep IX Sith Lose BIG time.

mattman8907 I like that.

23. Dark-Vador1138

Dark-Vador1138 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    I think the end duel will be between luke and his daughter/son, with none of them dying, there's no chance they'll make another "new" baddie, the whole series revolves around the same people, it will probably have some sort of bigger meaning to it all too just like the movies before it.

24. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Instead of a death at the end, a resurrection.

Hayden Christensen or Ewan McGregor walk up and say, "Hello Luke..." - screen wipes to credits- cue the John Williams' exit theme... everyone like, "what just happened?!?!".

Immortiss and StoneRiver like this.
  25. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    I've seen many new peeps around lately, and the poll is pretty even. What do the new guys think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.