main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Darth Loocas

Darth Loocas Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2013
    well,this IS the "Unpopular Opinions Thread" after all.
    no one should get edgy in this thread i think...thats the point of the thread,being unpopular! lol

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm not saying he's not entitled to his opinion - just that his dislike of being dismissed as "nostalgic" would go over a little better if it came with a willingness not to dismiss other people's opinions.

3. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    well yeah although he & i are in agreement with mostly everything, the "WRONG" bid was not thought through IMO

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Vthuil like this.
  4. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Just for the record, I didn't start really getting into Star Wars until I was older. I remember watch the trilogy one day and just being captivated on how good the story telling was. I really don't think nostalgia had much to do with it.

Darth Loocas likes this.
  5. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    we're not saying the love for SW is all nostalgic only that nostagia gives it a different feeling...they way u like it is different from the way i like it...but what IS important is that we ALL ,LIKE IT. because its good.

if it all was based on nostalgia half of the fans were dead by now & the other half would be dead,in half an hour! im kidding ...
    what i meant was that,that way fans would be one fourth of the current amount

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Nostalgia is a good thing, people. You don't wax nostalgic about things you hate.

7. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    too true,
    like i said the feeling of nostagia of something u grew up with,in this case a movie is very sweet,and well very different

but it doesnt suggest that if someone ddnt grow up with that movie & saw it yesterday & liked it,is liking it in the "wrong" way.

its just different.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  8. SerRoel

SerRoel Jedi Master

Oct 7, 2013
    wow I triggered a lot of reactions:p But I didn't meant vets only like it because of nostalgic reason, but it does play a part most of the time.

9. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    It's not all about nostalgia, though. Sometimes you just need to take these movies in context, instead of slagging off everything that seems wrong with the special FX or what doesn't fit with the stories in the PT. Way too many people around here think there's something wrong with the OT because it doesn't quite fit with the new ones or theres something wrong with the effects.

Star Wars, Empire and Jedi were awesome films back when they came out. They're still awesome, and even if they hadn't been upgraded, or if no prequels came out, plenty would still love them. Know why? Great stories. Maybe they wouldn't have made as much money being released again in theaters, or as much on DVD, but so what?

I'd still love them as much as I ever did if they were still just a bunch of old 1980s movies, like the Goonies.

10. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I have no problem if someone doesn't like ANH or any SW movie, because its all an opinion. I just constantly hear on these boards that there is a generalization that the only reason older fans still love the OT more then the PT is because of nostalgia. Now that maybe true for a small minority, but I can say for all my friends who love SW, none of it is because of nostalgia.

And my comment about watching the movies 1-6 in the wrong context was just meant for ANH only. Of course every fan will watch the movies the way they want, but if you are new to the movies, and see them numbered 1-6, your first reaction is to watch them with the 1st episode, and that is where ANH will be taken out of context. TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ESB, and ROTJ were all written with the big picture by Lucas as Vader was Luke's father, etc. While ANH was a simple fairytale story of good vs evil (Where NOBODY was related) that had a beginning, middle and ending, and, IMO, doesn't work well as the #4 movie of 6.

11. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    in agreement to what u said i wanted to add;
    another thing is when we 1st. saw Epv our jaw dropped when vader said "im' your father!" i still remember how i felt that moment,i got shivers...but when u see 1-.6...well...
    but each of us have different feeling about 2 trilogies-like i said what matters is that we all like them, and enjoy them...each in our own way.

12. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I'm locking this thread if it degenerates into yet another hijacked mess regarding the best order in which to to watch SW, and particularly if certain users believe they need to express their own analyses about why other users have formed a certain opinion.

13. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    well aguements tend to get out of hand sometimes going in all directions...but we should stick to the thread's subject..
    but irony of this thread is that its about unpopular opinions & unpopular by nature stirs up things.

14. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    That's not irony. And the issue has come up before and gotten out of hand.

15. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    oh well i for one ddnt know that,but i hope after your serious message everyone will stick to the topic...
    its good thing u do that actually ,cuz ppl like me who havent read through the whole thread,jump in and well ,this happens.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  16. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I didn't want to derail the thread, but I thought it was relevant to the thread 'unpopular SW opinions.' I watch ANH as a standalone movie, and don't tie it in with the other movies (despite enjoying all 6 movies) and that is seems to be an unpopular opinion here as most people don't watch it in the context of 1977 only. The only reason I mentioned watching it 1-6, was because when I watch it as Star Wars 1977 it does have a different context then when someone watches it as Episode IV of 6 movies.

17. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    he wasnt just talking to u he was talking to me to,lol
    we both over did it i guess

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    To which I post this.

If you see them in order it completely twists things about. A lot of the tricks of IV, V and VI no longer exist. The real struggle of the twins to save their father becomes apparent, whereas it didn't exist at all the first time [audiences saw Episodes IV, V and VI]. Now Darth Vader is a tragic character who's lost everything. He's basically a bitter old man in a suit.

"I am your father" was a real shock. Now it's a real reward. Finally, the son knows what we already know.

Its a really different suspense structure. Part of the fun for me was completely flipping upside down the dramatic track of the original movies. If you watch them the way it was released, IV, V, VI, I, II, III - you get one kind of movie. If you watch I through VI you get a completely different movie. One or two generations have seen it one way, and the next generations will see it in a completely different way.

It's an extremely modern, almost interactive movie making. You take blocks and move them around, and you come out with different emotional states."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith.

It is less about us and more about future generations.

19. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I will never understand how things are run here by mods? I was warned for derailing this thread because I talked watching the movies in a certain order, yet a manager, Darth Sinister continues the argument. Can I respond or is he allowed to do what he wants?

Darth Loocas likes this.
  20. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    Managers can do it, you cant, its like Nazi Germany in here :(

Darth Loocas and Carbon1985 like this.
  21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I didn't see that post. And I'm not a manager. I'm retired. Have been since 07.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  22. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Back on topic, please, people.

23. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    May or may not be unpopular: I don't think the PT was skillfully written, directed or edited

Unpopular: I DO think all 3 prequel *stories* were essential to tell. Episode I and II were needed. Mainly because I think the main theme of the saga is the necessity of making sacrifices. The story of Anakin's younger years is the story of trying to hold on to everything and ending up with nothing.

24. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I'm not sure how unpopular this one will be, but I've never liked the whole Rebellion vs. Empire plot line. It just feels really half-baked with the only thing of note occurring is the destruction of the Death Stars (while nothing really progress tactically in ESB). The real story of the OT, in my opinion, lies in Luke's central conflict. The Empire vs. Rebellion stuff is just there in the background to up the stakes, but it doesn't really matter. At least, not to me.

Also, I think the prequels work much better as a trilogy than the OT. But each OT movie works better as an individual film than each prequel film.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  25. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree with both of your assessments, although I actually think the rebellion vs empire thing is *supposed* to take a back seat to Luke's journey. It's just the setting. People don't watch The Godfather to learn about NYCity gang wars of the 1930's. They're engaged in the human drama.