main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you miss SW:Galaxies?.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by King Terak, Sep 11, 2013.

1. KOBBRA

KOBBRA Jedi Master

Sep 15, 2013
    Damn i miss my 90 level Human Jedi mainly DPS Millitary rank General in rebel alliance! Name: Arrilian Vedas Server: Far Star 8 years veteran! ;(

2. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Meh, the levels were overrated. The lack of numbered levels and the skill tree of the original were much more novel, IMO. I played SWG to get away from the kids playing Warcraft only to have it turned into a game which catered to them.

3. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I remember after the CU, one of my guides was one level under the cap, I think 79. Because of the way the skill trees worked he was more powerful than if he had respec'd to 80.

4. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Worked on the game for four years. Sometimes I really miss it, other times I don't.

5. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Worked on it as in you worked for SOE for 4 years or worked on it as in played it for 4 years non-stop?

I still miss it. The pre-CU game was very original and I find it awfully depressing that people left it for a game which had all of the content spoon fed to them instead of allowing the players to create most of it themselves. SWG was a HUGE game no matter what angle of it you wanted to play and a lot of folks missed that which is truly their loss.

6. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I never got to play Galaxies. :(

I had a trash PC for the longest time.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Neither my PC or net connection were good enough.

8. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I got Galaxies when JTL came out because a friend recommended it to me. It was... well, my experience wasn't the best. It was definitely a fantastic game, and I liked the skill tree. I never got the hang of the space combat. But the issue really was I just didn't have a story that I could play. I play games primarily for the story (or the build-up and strategy when playing strategy games, I guess), and I'm really not a multiplayer gamer at all. The fact that I couldn't progress much without, you know, interacting with other players was always a roadblock, because I didn't WANT to have to interact with other players. This has been an issue I've had with MMOs ever since, though I've gotten better in a few cases.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I've avoided a lot of games that are more for multiplayer or online (or both) because I can die quite well on my own - I don't need help from anyone else to do that.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I got through Galaxies pretty well by myself most of the time, there were situations where I struggled with a mission and had to ask for help from someone else but most of the time I could manage solo. It helps if you had creatures you could tame and a combat droid.

11. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I loved SWG at release, it was my first MMO, but since then I've come to accept that MMOs just aren't for me. The initial game had a real sense of freedom to go where I wanted and to make my character however I wanted. When they revamped the game, I was pretty disappointed in that a lot of the elements from the previous iteration of the game still lingered but served no purpose since the game became the series of quests on rails that most MMOs are.

A lot of it might just be nostalgia though. There's the very real possibility that after all this time I could go back and play the original iteration of SWG and realize I can't stand it, as has been true for things like TV shows I used to love as a kid.

12. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Same, though sometimes a game comes along that is simply too hard to resist.

The main appeal of MMOs to me is the character creation/customization aspect. If we could more easily port that to single-player games then most of the appeal of any MMO would be gone, I think.