main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series I'M HOLDING OUT FOR A THEME SONG! (EMBEDDED VIDEO HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CT-867-5309, Oct 2, 2013.

?

Should Rebels have a kickass theme song intro?

1. Yes

58.6%
  2. No (I have the high ground. Don't try it.)

41.4%
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm still awake because of all the [Yahoo!].

eht13 I like where your head's at. You got your thinking cap on, keep it there.

I was loving the narrator for the Rebels teaser. Reminds me of this voice:

I love that it starts with a sonic boom. Clever! I love that the singer pronounces it "saw-nic" the first two times, gotta give it that extra emphasis.

Blue streak,
    speeds by,
    Saw-nic the Hedgehog.
    Too fast!
    For the naked eye
    Saw-nic the Hedgehog.

I love the singer's enthusiasm, he's way into it, like he actually thinks Sonic is totally hardcore. The chorus:

Sonic
    He can really move
    Sonic
    He's got an att-i-tude!
    Sonic
    He's the fastest thing aligh-ee-ive!

"Sonic" gets said about a hundred times in one minute, gotta get in that name repetition so you don't forget who the show is about!

For you kids who weren't around in the early 90s, attitude was seriously important. I can't even explain how important. Bart Simpson was everywhere. It was the dark ages of comic books, everything was darker and edgier and cynical, gratuitous sex and violence were all in your face and anti-heroes ruled the world. It's the age I grew up in. Seerow can tell you how Zordon told Alpha to recruit a team of teenagers with attitude. It's now the quote for the trope RecruitTeenagersWithAttitude She could probably tell you more about the era of attitude in general. It was so important even Santa's elves had attitude.
    [​IMG]

So how much attitude did Sonic have? Well, he sticks his tongue out at the robots, cued by the word "attitude" at about 0:23, and he's the trope maker for Mascot with Attitude.

"Don't doubt what he can do"

Reinforcing that att-i-tude, because if you doubt him he'll run all over your face.

They made sure to include an explosive timer because Sonic is so fast he can outrun time and explosions.
    He's the fastest thing ALIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

At the end is a quick shot of what I'm assuming is most of the cast, I've never actually seen the cartoon. That's a cool tradition, one seen in the Simpsons, and it could be cool to see in Rebels.

2. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    The theme song should be a cover for Imperial March as epically as possible.

If the Imperial March is somehow not in this, I'm gonna force choke a *****

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I hadn't wanted to post the Sonic theme because I think 07jonesj had posted it in the Disco already, but best theme song EVER.

Off to dig up my kid's DVDs...

As far as the Imperial March...it should be there, and by default it will be used better than it was in TCW.

VanishingReality likes this.
  4. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I'm not sure that would make the right impression now that the Imperial March is being used as the intro theme for the Alex Jones show.

Then again, Palpatine's rise to power really was a shadowy conspiracy, and the Clone War really was an inside job, so maybe the GFFA really does need its own Alex Jones!

5. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think Stuart Copeland did the brilliant Droids theme.

For Rebels I'm hoping they go a bit loungier like the theme from Alice. With Dexter Jettster in the Vic Tayback role.

As an aside, I've always felt that VIC TAYBACK would make a great name for a punk band.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    :p

TKT likes this.
  7. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    I'm so sorry. I had to do it :p

8. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm feeling so under the weather I'm using the phrase under the weather for the first time. So I'm gonna fall back on a classic, DuckTales, the theme song was written by the same guy who wrote the theme for Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers.

First, it always starts with the singer's enthusiasm. It's a childish cartoon, with a childish theme song that includes "woo-oo" several times, an adult has to be able to summon a child's enthusiasm to pull it off. You can't be all old and cynical and sing a theme song. I love the hitches and odd timing to the song, it's a great broken rhythm.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of my five year old self:

Life is like a hurricane
    here in Duckburg
    Racecars, lasers, aeroplanes
    it's a duckblur

Okay, I don't how life can be like a hurricane, but it sounds exciting and being five years old I like that. Plus a wave of gold coins is falling on Scrooge. Also it's so funny that the town is called Duckburg. Get it? Cuz they're ducks! Racecars (a palindrome!), lasers, aeroplanes! That's everything a five year old boy loves! And there's a car, a laser gun and an old timey aeroplane on cue! Just change it to spacecars, lasers, laserblades and you have Star Wars. I don't know what a duck-blur is, but it has the word duck in it so it's cool.

And look at how cute Webby Vanderquack is![face_love]
    [​IMG]
    Eat your heart out, Ahsoka Tano! Webby would have stopped Riff Tamson with a kiss![face_love]

tales of derring-do
    bad and good luck tales!

I love the way they smash together derring-do and bad, it's like poetry!

D-d-d danger lurks behind you
    there's a stranger out to find you

Okay, the lyrics in the video and several other sources say "watch behind you", but unless my hearing is even worse than I think it is, that can't be it. It's either "lurks behind you", or perhaps "look behind you!"

Anyway, it's a brilliant verse and the singer's voice just seems to get higher and higher.

lol, in your face, Scrooge
    [​IMG]
    You just got Gunrayed.

Alright, I admire any adult who can say

not pony-tails or cotton-tails
    No, DuckTales! Woo-oo!

It's that silly and I LOVE silly.

Time for CT's true childhood stories. You wanna know how powerful this song is? I once got a kiss on the cheek from a girl named Teresa for singing this song enthusiastically in 7th grade math class. How many cartoon theme songs can claim that? We weren't even in the demographic anymore, seventh grade is what, twelve years old? That's when you're supposed to be too cool for cartoons, but you're never too cool for DuckTales.

I hope the Rebels theme song is so good it gets some kid a kiss on the cheek some day.

9. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    I like where your head's at.

10. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Oh, man. I don't even. This is so good, yet so bad, yet so good, it's like perception altering. I feel like I just stepped into 1991. This theme song is like a time capsule, it's got the lingo, the attitude, it has it all.

It all starts with repetition. After watching this a single time, a kid would have heard "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" no less than eight times in one minute, an impressionable young mind can't resist repetition of that magnitude!

I love that the baby turtles fly out of the sewers for some reason, and then the adults are literally catapulted out of the back of a van, again giving the impression that they are flying. THE TURTLES DON'T FLY, but it'd be understandable if you thought they did after watching this.

Heroes in a half shell
    Turtle power!

LOL, "turtle power". WTF is that.

I LOVE the turtles' commenting on their own ******* theme song.

They're the world's most fearsome fighting team (We're really hip!)
    They're heroes in a half-shell and they're green (Hey - get a grip!)

LOL, "hip". Wow. For some reason the fact they're green is relevant, I mean cool.

And you get a close up of each turtle wielding their weapon of choice and kids love that trope. Every kid has their own weapon of choice. Unsurprisingly, the turtles supply the pic for the trope page.

When the evil Shredder attacks
    these turtle boys don't cut him no slack

I just can't. Moving on.

Right after that, at about 0:32, Michelangelo deflects a shuriken and a ******* hand grenade with his nunchucks, like a ******* Jedi Knight.

More commentary on their own damn theme song, they're that ******* cool.

Splinter taught them to be ninja teens (He's a radical rat!)
    Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines (That's a fact, Jack!)
    Raphael is cool but rude (Gimme a break!)
    Michaelangelo is a party dude (Party!)

First, there's just something about the phrase "ninja teens" that is so damn...ninja? There's no doubt this cartoon inspired the use of the word ninja as an adjective. I was most definitely not a ninja teen, I so wish someone taught me to be one. Also, LOL at "radical".

Then we just get a plain breakdown on the characters, there's no subtlety, no poetry, no attempt a clever turn of phrase. It really does sound like something a kid would write. Which one are you, kids? The one that leads, does machines, is cool but rude, or the one that's a party dude?

When is the last time you heard someone say "That's a fact, Jack" irl? Or "party dude"? Good lord. And ******* Michelangelo groovin' and breakdancing at the end. Just wow. Or, rather, to channel something more appropriate to the era, Joey Lawrence's "whoa".

Bonus vids, awesome soundtracks to the old TMNT arcade games, some of the best 8-bit soundtracks ever. My brother and I played the hell out of these.

I'm not saying I want Rebels to be exactly like this, but I think it would be pretty cool for today's generation of kids to have something that encapsulates their era in the same way, so they can look back twenty years later and laugh the same way I am right now.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES!

TKT and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  11. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_laugh] It was a nightmare. Thankfully it was one of those "what...the...hell?" nightmares rather than one of those "Oh my God I am so scared right now" nightmares. I just felt like using a different word to describe it. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Honestly if the theme has any lyrics I'll be pissed. I say keep it traditional.

Mia Mesharad and DeviantSpirit like this.
  13. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    No, it should be cinematic score music, as Star Wars should have.

14. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Agreed, and I feel like I'm being a downer on this thread of enthusiasm. :(
    I just don't feel like lyrical openings fit Star Wars and it would break immersion for me. When I experience Rebels, I don't want to feel like I'm watching a cartoon but rather an extension of the Star Wars saga.

15. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Looks like I may have spoken too soon:

16. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Id love for the show to have a awesome theme. Or just the classic crawl. Or have something like Stargate SG-1/Atlantis. :D

17. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Don't worry about it, bro! This ain't the optimism thread!

I can totally see this perspective and I would love a great Star Wars score for the intro, it doesn't have to have lyrics or be like other cartoon intros, I'm just screwing around in this thread. TCW's might have been good if it wasn't an abortion, as Mia mentioned on the first page. It's just too short and doesn't let you feel it.

I'm gonna go pop some greenies and come back totally twitched for my next post.

18. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Double post? That's right! And guess what else? I'm flipping this thread upside down by posting an ending credits theme! ANARCHY! [face_devil]

This thread is about to get bizarre, well more bizarre, almost scary, with the greatest disparity ever between theme song quality and series quality.

EARTH!
    FIRE!
    WIND!
    WATER!
    HEART!

Goooo Planet!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

WTF is heart? It doesn't matter! They're kids, they're saving the planet and they're enthusiastic about it!

By your powers combined I AM CAPTAIN PLANET!

At this point Captain Planet's voice is starting to sound familiar, no? It has the same spirit as that guy who sung Sonic's theme, and the narrator for the Rebels clip, and any adult who thought they were cool to kids. It has the same attitude, or rather the attempt at attitude.

And this ******* singer. I think I'm in love. She's singing as if she's totally into it, with attitude and soul, as if it's legitimately awesome, as if she wrote it herself. How the hell did she get through this song without cracking up?

We're the Planeteers, you can be one, too
    Cause saving our planet is the thing to do
    Looting and polluting is not the way
    hear what Captain Planet has to say

THE POWER IS YOURS!

So powerful, so moving. This cartoon totally inspired an entire generation of kids who grew up to be environmentalists. In no way was this cartoon mocked or derided, kids everywhere took it seriously and started recycling and picking up litter. Despite what Al Gore would have you believe, it was Captain Planet who invented the internet and saved the Earth from global warming.

Can we get George Lucas to wear a green mullet and say "THE FORCE IS YOURS!" at the end of every episode? Please? Anyone in a green mullet would do.

Bonus video. This contains both the opening theme and the closing credits. The opening theme did not get the spotlight because it is full of exposition, it's just too slow. There's no attitude, no enthusiasm, no energy. Just the Earth kid narrating the origin story rather monotonously.

But I'd like to direct your attention to about 0:21.

Is that a giant copy machine just wasting paper? Really? Is that the Eco-Villains' (I'm not kidding, that's what they're called) superweapon? Is that this show's Death Star? A giant copy machine that wastes paper?

Jesus ******* Christ, this show.

Oh, and I just love that the American kid is the one with fire who's a hothead that burns **** recklessly and cares about the environment the least.

America, **** yeah!

[face_flag]

Don't even try to pretend you don't love this theme song.

I'll have none of it.

Get serious.

You love it.

Hello_Fett likes this.
  19. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    I want a theme song as good as Droids. I love that tune!

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    CT-867-5309 I certainly wouldn't mind something like this:

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Something similar to that theme would fit with the "darker" tone that the show seems to be taking per recent announcements. I like it.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  22. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Good one.

Also, "The real adventures of Johnny Quest" has a very catchy intro. Anything similar would go well for Rebels too:

23. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, I always loved that one. Succinctly summarizes the premise of the series, as well as injects a good amount of good humor without being cringe-worthy.

25. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Noooo thanks. I've inherently cringed at (or made fun of) cartoon theme songs since before I was old enough to know what "hip" or "cheesy" meant. And objectively, I think franchise consistency/seriousness > outside nostalgia.