main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    If they set a live action series between RoTJ and SW7 it needs to have the Thrawn campaign in it.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Well, if we can't have Bryan Cranston playing a Death Stick dealer in the Uscru District...

Borrowing this idea from this thread in the Lit forum, what about a TV show featuring ordinary people in the Star Wars universe, just living lives in the GFFA without space battles and Empire-building going on around them all the time?

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Hmm, sounds interesting, but I dunno that we could still call it Star Wars, though. Maybe something catchy like "Days of our Lives (in the GFFA)"? ;)

edit: I'm just kidding. I didn't actually check out the link you provided yet. :D

Circular Logic likes this.
  4. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    It would just be a soap opera. With robots and flying cars.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You guys think ordinary people live like those in soap operas?

purplerain likes this.
  6. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    You know, by the time the live-action series actually goes into production, Ewan McGregor might actually be old enough to play a hermit Ben Kenobi close to the time of ANH!

On a more serious note:
    You bring up a good point. If the decide to hold off production of the LAS until after all three films of the new ST have been finished, I could easily see them going this route. Especially if they decide to steamroll many aspects of the post-RotJ EU (it might be almost inevitable at this point). Say, for example, if the children of Luke Skywalker and the children of Han and Leia have different names and/or personalities than in the EU. They might decide to use a series taking place between Episodes VI and VII to establish the backstories of these key characters if they choose not to adapt, or to very loosely adapt, the post-RotJ EU into the ST. Filling in the blanks, so to speak.

The idea about the LAS should focus on ordinary folks is interesting, but I highly doubt they will go that route, because, as Trebor said, what is Star Wars without the Wars? Sure, you can have the everyman character(s) have a role in the plot, but most likely they would be a minor character, overshadowed by the hero(ine) protagonist(s). Star Wars is all about conflict, and I imagine whatever they decide for the LAS, if they choose to pursue it at all, would have it take place in a setting fraught with conflict.

Sidenote: The EU does have a number of stories with characters that could often be considered ordinary, though admittedly practically every story I'm aware of still features Force-users and/or warriors.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  7. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I already said I was kidding. :)

8. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Since you've spent some time in 7SA, you're probably already familiar with this, but my hope for the ST is that the major players of the new generation will comprise loosely adapted versions of their EU counterparts. That is to say, giving Luke a son named Ben, and Leia and Han a daughter named Jaina, while still leaving the filmmakers free to do their thing with the characters (maybe Ben is a blonde, rather than a redhead, Jaina a bit younger than she has been depicted in the novels, etc.). With the films picking up where they seemingly will, with little or no fuss other than this, the post-ROTJ could have been kept relatively intact, while allowing the films the freedoms they will require. No problem, right? I'd think not.

At least, that is, until we start to consider the setting of new stories (potentially a live action series, even) in the interim between the OT and ST. In this case, yeah, I do worry about the potential it raises for the type of complete steamrolling you allude to (some is almost certainly inevitable, and I get that), but I'd like to believe that with a modicum of care, even with a production set during this time, things could be kept relatively workable with what has come before. After all, Hidalgo's been retained for some purpose, amirite? :)

9. John R Pleak

John R Pleak Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2013
    http://screenrant.com/marvel-shield-star-wars-tv-show-abc/

Hello all. Follow the link above for an interesting article about ABC television network and a possible Star Wars live action show. ABC has put a lot of money into the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. show by Marvel. As we know, Disney owns Marvel and Lucasfilm now. In the article they estimate that each episode of a Star Wars live action series would cost between 3 to 5 million in just special fx alone. If ABC has success with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., then we just might get what we want. Joss Whedon would possibly be involved. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D had a massive debut, but viewership dropped 34% after the first episode. Only time will tell folks...Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury) did make a cameo on the latest episode...Interesting. Mace Windu in a live action Star Wars series??? The future is unwritten!

10. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
  11. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Here the offical abandoned and cancelled show News! http://www.avclub.com/articles/watch-this-a-scene-from-the-abandoned-star-wars-li,103844/

However the show could be back in production again judging by this information I got on what 5 ways disney might expand the Star wars franchise. http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/5-ways-disney-plans-to-expand-its-star-wars-brand.html/?ref=YF

12. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    How about a live-action show about Sidious and Maul taking place before TPM?

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Again, preliminary talks are still going on so many things could change but right now there's a debate as to whether or not a television show would take place in between the Prequel Trilogy and the Original Trilogy, or should they go forward with a series that's between the Original Trilogy and the Sequel Trilogy. This way they could play on the new mythos this new trilogy is creating

I have a bad feeling about this....

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    If they do a OT-ST fill-in show and it pisses all over Thrawn and the Thrawn campaign (in a "oh yeah, that? ummm well that stuff never actually happened, and that guy didn't exist, mmkay?" kinda way), I will stop watching SW forever.

15. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013

You know, I'll say it. I've just about had it with these astronomical production costs for sfx. I'm calling bull**** on Disney, and on ABC. The reason? George Lucas made Star Wars for how much in 1977? 11 million? That was a whole movie, though! No computers, no CGI, no Jar Jar Binks, no crap. Those models and sets still stand the test of time for realism, and look far superior to any CGI I've seen, most of which is overdone, overused, and (finally, here's the proof!) overpriced! Spend a million on models and reusable molds for latex masks, another million on sets, buy an old Panaflex camera, and let's go! You can always add to it later once it takes off (and it will). CGI is rapidly becoming the ruin of quality movie making because it is the lazy man's way of wowing audiences to keep them from noticing thin plots, cliched characters, and general crappiness. Moreover, ABC, being owned by Disney, could reuse the models and sets used in the new movies, and has the funds to make them durable enough to use over and over again. The same goes for the latex molds for masks to use to create aliens. Maybe, instead of petitioning Congress to build a Death Star, we should have used it to get them to order a live-action show. It seems we might have had more success. I'm sorry if I'm a little bitter about this, but I'm tired of Disney's whining about production costs when they have enough money to buy a third-world nation. Durable models, molds, and sets, people. That's the key to lowering production costs in the long term! Just look to Stargate SG-1 for proof.

TKT and Dinos4Ever like this.
  16. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    The only reason that they use CGI is because it's faster. They can make more in less time and therefore don't have to pay laborers, cast, or crew for as long.

John R Pleak likes this.
  17. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013

I second that motion, and move the council to establish a contingency plan to stage a boycott should that come to pass.

18. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Yes, Master Dinos, this is true, but these are one-time costs, for the most part. Once all the molds and stuff is made, it doesn't take much to pour latex and airbrush it once it's dried. A small team (oh, look! Disney has one! How convenient!) could maintain and repair/replace the stuff as it wears out once everything is made. Heck, Disney could put out a call and get thousands to labor free to donate time and material to be used in the production of the models, molds, and sets. How many Star Wars fans would refuse? Of course, that would never happen...

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Live Action show probably will never ever be made

20. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Unfortunately, Hollywood doesn't really care. They're looking for the quickest way to make a profit. They don't want to wait around for a cast when they can see results just by clicking around on a computer. The only time we actually get to see the old ways anymore is from film auteurs, who value quality over money.

21. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013

A moment of silence for the death of quality...

Perhaps we should start a petition to send to Disney to open up the doors for set builders and model makers to donate time and material...? Do something like they did in the sixties to bring back Star Dreck? (lol!)

22. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The Walking Sith

Trebor Sabreon and spicer like this.
  23. John R Pleak

Sep 22, 2013
    I do agree with you guys on Disney being penny pinching morons. Seriously, if it says "Star Wars" they will make their money back 100 fold! What happens today that didn't happen in 1977 is that the Unions have more control and many of these established SPFX and CG "gurus" (We could go on about the ills of CG) demand more $$$ for less work. Times have changed and everyone now knows how much Star Wars is worth and each individual involved wants a big slice of the pie...So bring in some newbies who have great new ideas and are not jaded by the industry and have them do it. Ever watch the show "Faceoff"? Bring in all of those youngsters and aspiring FX pros and I bet they could make some killer practical effects on a limited budget!

24. John R Pleak

Sep 22, 2013
    People said the same thing about the Prequel Trilogy years ago...I've been a fan for over 30 years and I've learned that anything is possible in the Star Wars Universe.

Docgeo likes this.
  25. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013

Right on! Star Wars has the potential to be worth just as much as the Walt Disney franchise, but they need to innovate. A great way to do that would be to have in-house CG and physical sfx divisions "bid" on doing the job for the cheapest amount possible in the shortest time. Either way, anything they create, if they build it correctly, would be durable enough to reuse again and again so they get their money's worth. Look how much use SG-1 got out of their sets! IT was a one-time cost up front, and then a minimal cost just to maintain them and store them. Storing sets and props should be no problem, either, because Disney owns how much land? Take a page from Henry Ford's book and make a production line for this stuff in Star Wars! Churn out X-wing hulls! Stamp out E-11s by the hundreds! Mold dozens of Stormtrooper armor pieces at a time! Then, after they're done, turn around and make more to sell to the fans!

John R Pleak likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.