main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Anyone else wish Pong Krell had survived Umbara?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darth fluffy, Sep 28, 2013.

1. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003

[face_laugh]

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    No, No, No, No

Krell was a big meanie who picked on the Clones :p

But no, his death was pretty good and good foreshadowing

3. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Anybody would good. Anakin, Obi-Wan, Windu... I was originally going to say 'face the firing squad' but I doubt they'd have a Jedi (who we know) do it, just some random who works at the temple.

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    If Krell survived it would have been interesting to see him go on trial but I could see TCW just using him in some far flung revenge plot or as another moronic minion of Dooku's. The later could have been cool if done well. We needed more OCs but more than anything we always needed someone who truly believed in the Separatist cause or a much more normal Jedi switching child. I think I still like Krell getting shot by Dogma in Carnage better best.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  5. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    P.S. I wish they never cheapened him out by having him be a wannabe-Seperatist. He should've just have been REALLY opposed to the Jedi cause.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    The Umbara arc wasn't really about the Jedi although it did show us the effect the war has had on one Jedi, it was about the clones troopers. Krell couldn't have served the Umbara arc better as anything other than what he was. Krell was a prop character written to be callous and mean as hell in order to drive the clones to defy him and eventually take him down. He existed to throw them into razor wire walls of death. If he had been anything less, just a Jedi who simply was opposed to the cause the clones would have gladly followed him to their deaths like they always do. How many clones has Anakin taken into situations just as suicidal but the clones are more than glad to follow him? Weapons Factory for example. Its just like Fives said, who seems to greatly admire Anakin enough to retell one of his stories.

Also Krell really does alot toward explaining the publics growing hostility toward the Jedi. Here the populous doesn't have light to read by or hot water for comfortable bathing because the Republic is going bankrupt paying for the expensive clone army. Then there was a batcrap crazy Jedi throwing them away. That's a good recipe for some resentment there.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Pretty sure that Krell wished he'd survived Umbara. :p

Seriously though, I think he kind of needed to meet his demise in this arc the way he did. However, they could have stretched his character development out a little more by introducing him to us sooner in the series... even just a couple brief scenes including him earlier in the same season could have worked well for establishing his character and letting us know who he was.

8. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I agree if could have been cool had Krell been introduced earlier in the series. Then again introducing him for one arc makes it easier to overlook how no one ever took a closer look at Krell's methods.

eht13 likes this.
  9. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I too agree that Krell should have been introduced earlier which could have improved the character (and it would be nice with some answers to what I was talking about on the previous page, being how the Jedi Order accepted Krell with his brutal and troop-wasting tactics and if he ever got called out for it or if they just let him go since he was so successful with his missions; I think someone should ask Filoni about that).

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    It's fun to speculate on alternate ways TCW could have used General Krell, but I think he had a top-notch death and the episodic nature of the series being what is I'm fine with him only appearing in the one arc (and getting subtle-epic name-dropped in Sabotage.)

Circular Logic likes this.
  11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, scrag no! I'm so glad Dogma back-shot the dude. He needed to die way worse than that for sending the clones against each other.

Mia Mesharad and Vialco like this.
  12. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I wish Grievous survived really but, you know, that's just cause I'm in love.
    Yes, Early Cameos are ALWAYS good.

13. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    He could have been interesting if he was handled intelligently.

Instead, he ended up just being another cookie-cutter mustache-twirling cackling villain. As such, when Dogma wasted him it was already overdue. By that point he was obviously never going to be interesting.

14. SerRoel

SerRoel Jedi Master

Oct 7, 2013
    He had it coming. But I don't like it how dumb the clones were when they tried to kill him, they just ran towards him instead of just shooting all at once. He was way to overpowered :p

15. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I always thought when they went to arrest him they should have had some arty trained on the top of the tower. When he Force-repulsed all the clones and started cutting up a bunch of them (before jumping out of the tower) the artillery batteries could have just fired on the tower immediately.

The unfortunate tradeoff for that though, would be that Rex would pretty much be toast, since he was also in that same room.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Krell's story ended pretty much exactly how it should have. Space Col. Kurtz was killed by his compatriots.

17. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I kind of liked the idea of Krell going on to become the "suspicious jerk Jedi", somewhat like Snape from Harry Potter. It wouldn't hurt to have more antagonistic characters on the heroes' side to give them a hard time.. He and Tarkin would probably get along famously.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You know who would get along famously with Krell?

ME.

"Clones, they're not even sentient, amirite?"
    "Ha."
    "Hey Pong, you ready for a classic?"
    "Yeah, yeah."
    "How did the droid army conquer Duro?"
    "They marched in backward and the clones thought they were leaving!"
    "Ha."

I swear to Ventress if I saw Krell at Disney I would flip the **** out. I would ask him questions to test him, to see if it was the real Krell, and if he answered correctly I would totally BELIEVE. Then we would ride the tea cups together, cuz Krell would be so good at it with his four strong arms. Then we would high five and Krell would buy six ice cream cones, four for him and two for me. Then Krell would win me a prize in a game of "Test Your Strength", because he's so big and strong.

It would be the bestest day of my life.

19. JediGirl_Angelina

Jan 12, 2003
    With the exception that Snape was eternally the good guy all along and Krell was rotten till the very heart,

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    [face_plain]

I am not amused.

21. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Not to me, I don't think I'd call Snape a good guy, just a guy on the good side.

22. JediGirl_Angelina

Jan 12, 2003
  23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Anyone else wish Pong Krell had survived Umbara?

Now that the show was cancelled, no. No point wishing for more loose ends, eh?

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  24. Master Mini 907

Master Mini 907 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2013
    Yep. He was awesome.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I am. That was funny as hell. If I were the least bit artistic, I'd do a picture of Pong Krell on the teacups in MS Paint.