main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legacy Vol 2. #8: Outcasts of the Broken Ring, part 3 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

Ania Solo and Imperial Knight Jao’s search for Sith leads to the poisoned Mon Calamari homeworld of Dac—where their ship is boarded by pirates who have taken over the planet’s orbiting shipyards.
    Jao senses the dark side at work—especially when he and Ania are marked for death!
    * Sith, pirates, and the planet of the dead!
    “Star Wars: Legacy is another excellent extension of this universe, as it does just enough right for both fanboys and fangirls to be worthy of the heritage it now represents. “
    —Unleash the Fanboy

CREATORS

Writer:
    Corinna Bechko, Gabriel Hardman
    Artist:
    Brian Thies
    Colorist:
    Rachelle Rosenberg
    Cover Artist:
    Augustin Alessio

Genre: Star Wars
    Publication Date:​
    October 23, 2013

Gorefiend likes this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Interesting. Sounds like the series is going to kick things up a notch!

Anything that shows the fate of Dac, it's people, and the shipyards is ok in my book. I am surprised that the yards sound to be abandoned. One would think they would be a major asset for the Galactic Federation Triumvirate.

Can't wait for this issue!

--Adm. Nick

3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Hmmm, Grans. You don't see them much, for movie aliens.

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I saw enough in Jedi Knight to last a lifetime, thanks.

Actually, Kyle's involvement probably explains why we don't see them so much. Their population has probably only just recovered by the time we get to the Legacy time period. :p

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Looking forward to this!

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Indeed. Even if the planet is unlivable, the yards themselves should be unaffected.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Unless it is deemed to be in bad taste to continue operating shipyards above a planet of corpses?

Like the sound of this arc.

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I only spotted the essential... Pirates! Pirates! Pirates! Pirates!

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, you'd think the shipyards would still be valuable, unless resources are really stretched that thin. Though come to think of it, were the shipyards ever repaired after Stazi's attack? Something like more than half of the shipyards were disabled and I doubt the Sith would bother repairing them with the genocide of the Mon Calamari, so maybe the new government can't afford to fix them yet. Still, nice to see Dac again, can't wait for this new arc to start.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, it's very strange that the yards are just abandoned. And the implication that Dac has just been abandoned outright makes me sad.

Though it's very early after the initial evacuation, relatively speaking, so it may be that the GA simply has yet to dedicate resources to restoring it, not being ready for a huge project like that just yet.

11. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I remember I used to dismember those Grans all the time. Good stuff.

Looks good, I always loved DAC in volume 1 so Im excited to see where this goes.

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I am hoping for insight into the Triumvirate's efforts to restore Dac & it's shipyards. If nothing else, I would assume that the system is patrolled by Alliance & Imperial warships to ensure nothing falls into enemy hands. I can't imagine that the restoration of one of the galaxy's primary shipyards isn't on the project list, especially given Stazi's close connection to the Mon Cals & Dac.

Either way, this next arc has me excited!

--Adm. Nick

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Maybe with no place to live or supply resources to them, the yards has had a shortage of workers and means to build?

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    If the figures are accurate, nearly 2 billion Mon Cals escaped Dac during Stazi's evacuation. Billions more live on worlds across the Calamari Sector. Even if Krayt went after non-native to Dac Mon Cals, the species is hardly at extinct level.

To your point about means and resources, the shipyards were always primarily focused on naval construction for the main galactic government post-4 ABY. Unless the Galactic Federation Triumvirate decides to stop using Dac designs, the restoration of the shipyards should be of prime concern to the new government. Granted, it appears that the GFT is a bit stretched, but I find it hard to imagine that they simply abandoned the system and sector. Heck, we know Stazi wouldn't stand for that.

I am very interested to see what level the GFT is involved with Dac's reconstruction and rehabilitation.

--Adm. Nick

15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Gorefiend likes this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Yep. The place is controlled by pirates and slavers who are enslaving any and all Dac who come back.

Sorry, Nick.

17. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I'm beginning to get a "Zayne Carrick" vibe from this. What do I mean by that? If you recall in the KOTOR comics, after the Covenant was taken down, and Zayne was exonerated, Zayne left the order. One of the reasons he left was because the Jedi Council was so focused on addressing the big issues that the small ones, like himself, weren't receiving the assistance they needed and were slipping through the cracks. I know I'm speculating, but from what I saw in the previous issue, I think the Triumvirate are making the same mistake. They're so focused on the big projects and trying to bring order into the chaos left behind from the recent war, that they're not taking steps to deal with those who would take advantage of the chaos for their own ends, like what's going on in the Orbital Ring. These small issues are going to gather and grow in size until the collective mass falls upon the Triumvirate, which could lead to another war. While I can appreciate the fact that the resources are limited and stretched, the Triumvirate should allow several small teams of troubleshooters to travel throughout the galaxy. If a team comes across a situation akin to what's going on at Dac, they could choose to address the problem, or inform their superiors so that an appropriate-sized force could be sent to address the issue.

It would be similar to what Han and Leia did during the Force Heretic Trilogy. They travelled around the galaxy and getting in touch with those systems that the NR lost contact with after the fall of Coruscant in order to learn what happened in the interim and to try and bring them back into the fold.

Grey1 likes this.
  18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Ouch, it really hurts to be a Mon Cal in the Legacy era.

So Jao acts like he has a pretty good understanding of how Wredd will work. Not sure if that's a good sign for their search or a bad sign for his own stability. Looks like they probably won't find Wredd there, but there's probably an even bigger immediate problem which I hope they can deal wit.

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    God I want to see the Triumvirate Navy come blasting in and kick those evil pirates & slavers off Dac. It is high time that the Mon Cals & Quarren be given a chance to return to their native system and start putting things back together. I can only hope that the Triumvirate realizes this. Force knows how much Dac has sacrificed for the galaxy over the centuries. Time for the galaxy to repay them.

--Adm. Nick

Havac likes this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Nope! Only rag-tag ruffians and their lightsabers can save the Mon Calamari now!

21. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
  22. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Nick its not about what you did for me a century ago its about what you can do for me today.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Let's hope the Galactic Alliance is the one financing the slavers!

*is hit with a turbolaser from Admiral Nick's cruiser*

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    More like a barrage of turbolaser fire from Admiral Nick's fleet. :p

Skaddix

I get your point, but people can surprise you. Look at how people from across the galaxy heeded Stazi's call to aid with the evacuation of Dac. That wasn't just a military effort, it was a private civilian effort too. People in the galaxy can come together in times of crisis, just like we see in the real world.

--Adm. Nick

25. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I think the GA will get around to it but I think its going to take them some time to get around to it sadly. Although really seeing as the Imperial Part of the gov wants Ania captured and Jao executed, I say their arrival will speed up action,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.