main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Planets in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthfettus2015, Aug 20, 2013.

1. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    Somewhere really seedy and crime-ridden like Nar Shaada would be awesome. It would be like Jabba's palace, except this time an entire city of scum and villainy.

my kind of scum likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Carreras Major.

3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Whether it's first or not, I'd really like to see another snow planet. Mygeeto doesn't count.

4. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
  5. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Trilogy 3 should start with some action inside a space vessel as the first two did

6. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    New Alderaan
    or
    Yavin 4

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    [​IMG]

Why not? Mygeeto was fraggin' awesome. I'd love to see it again!

8. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    This would be a really cool way to start out.

I would also like to see Luke or Leia on Coruscant in the beginning, just to visually bridge the two trilogies.

9. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    I feel like we visually bridged the first two trilogies already with the new ending showing Coruscant in the ROTJ special edition...

Lets start the new story and bridge this trilogy to the Original Trilogy. I like the idea of a New Alderaan, kind of like a refuge for all displaced Alderaanians... or the Jedi Temple on Yavin 4....

10. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Old Man Luke will be on Dagobah channeling his inner force............ghost......!

11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
  12. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    New Alderaan
    Coruscant
    Byss
    Yavin IV
    Anoth
    Corellia
    Mimban

Could be one of these. I'm pretty sure we will see the Millennium Falcon fly over after the opening crawl heading to one of these planets to land.

13. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
  14. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    [​IMG]

15. RepublicKnight95

RepublicKnight95 Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2014
    Are there any planets that you would like to see introduced in the sequel trilogy that weren't in the original or prequel trilogy?

For me, it's definitely Korriban. It's not only my favourite planet from the expanded universe, but it's also probably my favourite planet from all of Star Wars. I love the idea of an "evil" planet, that include spooky, haunted tombs where ancient sith legends are buried. I'm not sure how this planet could be used, but perhaps there is a sith lord in hiding there, or maybe the spirits of the sith possess one of Luke's/Leia's children or something, I dunno.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Immortiss, Circular Logic and Dra--- like this.
  16. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Dra--- likes this.
  17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge... and retitled to make it a more general planets discussion thread.

RepublicKnight95 and Dra--- like this.
  18. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    What I don't want to see in Episode VII is too many planets. It happened in ROTS and I get it, it was all about the jedi purge and that's fine, I've got bigger problems with that movie anyway, but it was a mess in the end.

I think incorporating too many planets can be quite messy and drive people away from the story. TPM may have a gillion flaws but the pacing and locations where handled brilliantly IMO. We don't have that many new planets and each planet is very different.

Do we really need to see a planet like Geonosis when we already have Tatooine? Utapau had cool references (Mquarrie's sketches, old name, etc.) but everything that happened there was completely unnecessary and screwed the pacing of the movie (that cut when Obi Wan loses his lightsaber makes you lose any interest and tension, it looks like a video game anyway).

The basic landscape possibilities have already been covered (desert, snow, forest, lava, prosperous renaissance, city, etc.) and we don't really need a "new" landscape that looks like Katy Perry's candy land because every other thing has been done.

I say let creativity run loose on the story and characters but don't make up new planets just for the sake of it. The galaxy is already very rich visually, it may not be necessary to develop new planets for every movie.

19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The galaxy is rich in part because we have Geonosis and Tatooine, when they could have easily been the same. If the battle in AOTC happened on Tatooine, simply because it was "also a desert world" the galaxy would feel that much smaller.

There are plenty of variations within the existing basic models (desert, forest, frost, etc.) to keep it interesting. Hoth was a snow planet, but we pretty much saw only snow dunes. What about a frost planet that's entirely made of huge, frozen glaciers, crystal-like formations, razor sharp and... I dunno, toxic or whatever. A frozen toxic planet. And it starts to melt. That'd be insane.

In the end, I wouldn't refuse to go to a forest in the US just because I've visited one of the forests in my own country, even though it's technically the same thing :p
    Anyway, I'm all for more planets - existing and new. Give me Corellia, Korriban...

20. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    Well said, my friend. The comment I made about Geonosis was meant to emphasize the visuals, not the story. Yes, it would've made the galaxy smaller to use Tatooine again, I agree.

I'm not particularly against new planets, I just don't want to have too many in each movie because it can alter the story. I agree with you on the variations you propose, actually that ice world you imagine sounds awesome, as long as there's no moon clashing into the planet killing our favorite wookie :p

I just don't want to have a whole bunch of locations just for the sake of it. ROTS is very messy because of this. I mean Chewie was Yoda's bodyguard? really? and we have Kashyyyk in there for no real reason to the story, the same with Utapau, Grevious was a very poor and unnecessary character and Obi Wan didn't change one bit because of it.

I would love to be proven wrong and have a new planet with visual identity, being a crucial element in the story.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  21. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I can understand what you're saying about Kashyyyk and Utapau not serving any specific and irreplaceable role in ROTS, but in my view this is one of the rare ocassions where it's not a bad thing to have something there just for visual variety. Utapau itself is unrelated to Grievous' flaws (with which I agree, I feel he was a wasted opportunity). To me, it adds to the scale of the galaxy and the conflict. Moving from one place to another actually shows us that it's a galaxy spanning conflict, not just telling us that and asking us to take their word for it, while limiting us to one place for 2 hours. That variety in locations serves a larger purpose and that is of showing us how widespread the conflict really is. I'd say that's purpose enough, when this is concerned. :)

Mystery Roach and Dra--- like this.
  22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    One of the strengths and weaknesses of the Epic is that it's more free to move location. This lends itself towards a big feel, but can also sometimes dislocate other narrative elements. I actually liked all the moving around in ROTS though. It made sense with the wrapping up of the Clone Wars, imo, to move around. One of the planets that felt redundant to me was Naboo in AOTC. The only reason we end up there is because Lucas wanted to have this romantic setting for Anakin and Padme, but I think it would have been more interesting if they'd never gotten to Naboo, but maybe ended up somewhere less romantic, or simply stuck fleeing through space together, like Han and Leia in ESB, until having to go to Tatooine and Geonosis.

As for the ST: Corellia and Moriband please.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  23. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I thought the PT suffered for using Tatooine in TPM and AotC. It would've been better served for Anakin to be on a different planet and not force redundantcy..

I'd like to see Nar Shadda and Nal Hutta (if I spelled those correctly)

Darth_Pevra, The Hellhammer and TKT like this.
  24. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    I can see how a lot of planets can help envision the scale of the galaxy but IMO, that is an overused resource. I love the classic trilogy because of the symbolism carried in every world. Luke didn't live in a desert planet just because it looked cool . . . our heroes didn't refuge themselves in an ice cold planet just because it was the opposite of the desert.

Locations reflect our character's drive and arc. Luke lives in the desert, isolated, looking up the stars in search of adventure. He trains with Yoda in a swamp in a time where everything's "muddy and foggy" for him and he has to make difficult choices, all this while the other heroes are in this beautiful heavenly place in the clouds that somehow seems too good to be true, deceptive.

This was covered in TPM as well, Naboo was the republic at its finest, beautiful, and elegant. Coruscant is intricate and complicated, like the politics that take place there.

But do we really have that in AOTC and ROTS? (besides Mustafar of course).

IMO, not really. It's just too messy.

What you guys are saying about the scale of the galaxy is fine and it's part of the Star Wars culture, it's even expected. But I think there's a bigger priority concerning locations and the effect on the story and characters.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. While we're all entitled to our opinions, I find yours to be an "alien" one and wonder how you came to it. Furthermore, I disagree with the angle from you are looking at the multitude of planets of the PT. I count myself as a negative person, but Star Wars is one place where we can let our un-jaded inner child run wild and ditch the negativity.

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of legitimate aspects of the PT (heck, the entire saga) to gripe about, but the multitude of planets (and environments) we were shown in those films should be far from the list of things to gripe about. If anything, being shown these worlds gives us a small glimpse into the scope of the Clone Wars, a conflict spread across the galaxy. In such a vast galaxy, there are going to be thousands of desert planets along with other eco-systems, and some of them will be like our own planet with multiple environments.

We were shown but a tiny bit of a much larger world and none of them were just "throwaway" worlds. The comparison of Felucia to "candy land" is ridiculous, is it so difficult to believe there might be worlds covered with various giant fungi and other plants? I liked Geonosis and. though it is a desert world, it is still very different from Tatooine. Everything that happened on Utapau was very important and very necessary towards the story. Darth Sidious needed Obi-Wan out of the way while he completed his seduction and conversion of Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side. Nothing was made up just for kicks, it was all relevant to the story, and I expect we'll see a similar happening with the ST, just in its own unique manner.

Mystery Roach likes this.