main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Reads 2014 - Oct. 11

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by DieWompRatDie, Sep 10, 2013.

1. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    We have been invited by Brett Keniston at the Denver Public Library to be a part of their Star Wars Reads events. They will be having activities at several of their branches September 20th culminating in a large event at the Central Library just South of the Civic Center on October 5th.

www.denverlibrary.org/star-wars-reads

From his email:

Each of our events will feature different activities, from storytimes to crafts and games. Here at Central, we will have a carnival of sorts, with several craft stations for kids (including coloring, pop-up cards, and build-your-own-lightsaber), button-making and gaming for teens, and possibly a scavenger hunt through the Children's Library. We are also inviting other local cosplay groups, some R2 builders, and the Wings Over the Rockies museum. In addition to the kids activities, I'm trying to put together some adult programming--perhaps some readings from the new book, William Shakespeare's Star Wars.

I have responded that we'd be interested. What do you guys think? Can we get some people to head over (in costume and in civvies) to the Central library on October 5th?

I'll post more details as he has them.

darth_hair and Obey Wann do you know if he has contacted the RL or 501st?

QueenHighMistress and PtrsonsZOO like this.
  2. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Is there any events happen in Colorado Springs?

3. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    The only one I know about in the Springs is being done by the Legions. Obey Wann might be able to confirm that for us.

4. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    At the Central library, one of the events will be a reading from the new book Star Wars Shakespeare. I plan to be one of the readers and Brett, our contact, has asked who else would be interested in reading from the book. Any not-ready for library players out there?

Brett will be joining us at our meeting on the 21st to give details and answer any questions we have.

FanForced likes this.
  5. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    Sounds awesome! And I had to reschedule my theater tickets for the same time at $5 a piece so I WILL be there.

6. banzai

banzai Jedi Master

Apr 29, 1999

Since Obey Wann hasn't mentioned anything about the Springs as of this post, the answer to your question is yes. I am the POC for the RL/501st event at the B&N on Briargate. Setup is 1pm, event is from 2-4pm. Beside the RL & 501st, the Mandos will be there and maybe R2. Additional information is available in the public section of Mountain Base (Rebel Legion website).

7. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Okay will look it up.

8. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
  9. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Only bad guys. :rolleyes:

10. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    There is something going on this Saturday at the High Praire Library. I', probably taking my son if his hike with the Cub Scouts is done early enough.

CLICK ME YO!

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  11. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    Anyone else want to read Star Wars Shakespeare at the Denver Library? If we're going to coordinate scenes, we'll need to do that now. No memorizing needed!

12. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

I'd like to do the detention cell rescue and trash compactor scene! And/or the ending scene with Luke in the trench run.

13. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I am trying to arrange it so I can be at this one, too, but I probably won't know until closer to the end of the week. If I make it, I'd be willing to read.

14. ShortForceLover

ShortForceLover Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2013
    Put me down! I would love reading the Shakespeare Star Wars, but I can ready anything!!

15. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Sounds good! Who is this?

16. ShortForceLover

ShortForceLover Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2013
    This is Lynn. I am new to the group, have been to 2 monthly meetings so far!

17. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    ZOO, if we can both make it, want to carpool?

I'm planning on it, but my pesky health stuff is unpredictable.

18. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    It is highly likely that I will be out of town for this=(

19. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I am now a definite for Saturday

20. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Also planning on attending Saturday are Amanda, @Darklord49's wife, and Nikki, from Denver Comic Con and Myths and Legends con fame. Hope to see even more of y'all there!

21. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Thanks to those who came out to support the Denver Public Library! The event was great. They had about 50-60 people come through between 2 and 4.
    At the RMFF table we passed out flyers about the RMFF and met a few new potential members!
    On Facebook @FanForced posted a video of us performing the trench run scene from Shakespeare's Star Wars. Thanks, Grant Middleton, Darklord49, Mrs. Darklord49, Michael Nestlehut, ShortForceLover, Lynn's daughter, Nikki Ebright, and her significant other Billy for their acting chops and at helping the table.

And major props to Brett Keniston and the Denver Public Library for inviting us to their event!
    Here's Brett's comment: "You guys were awesome, all around. Thank you so much for helping to make our Star Wars Reads party a success!"

How did the other SW Reads events go out there?

QueenHighMistress likes this.
  22. Haikukid

Haikukid Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 30, 2013
    I would like to see the video posted by FanForced, On Facebook I went to Rocky Mountain Fan Forced on community groups but couldn't find that video under of all things "Videos". Help please! for the inept! Thanks!

23. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

It was an event on Facebook, so here's the link to the event and the video is on the feed there: https://www.facebook.com/events/198574263648476/

Haikukid likes this.
  24. Haikukid

Haikukid Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 30, 2013
    Just saw the video clip of you all reading at the event, brilliant! Star Wars is such an epic tale fits perfectly with the great drama of Shakespeare! What a great way to get kids into reading too! Thanks for posting the clip (FanForced) and helping me find it (DieWompRatDie) from those that are not wise in the ways of social media! [face_blush]

25. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Bump and a change in the title of the thread!

Denver Public library will again be inviting us to participate in their Star Wars Reads day on October 11, 2014.
    Tara Bannon from the DPL is planning to attend our September meeting and talk about the event and what we can do to make it a great one for the library.