main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    But why would SHIELD produce its own bottled water? And in the comics, Graviton took the name Graviton because he used graviton particles (just as fictional and nonsensical, but at least a bit more plausible) and they wound up bonded to him. To me, though, Gravitonium sounds just as silly as unobtainium (which, yes, is a real term with abstract/thought experiment/engineering applications and is generally ironic). I get they need to have some explanation, it just struck me as a dumb name.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Perhaps the gravitonium leads to the gravitons? They probably just needed something more to explain the quantity of material bonding to him or some such.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The first episode I'd call good. I hope they keep getting better!

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

What I meant was the first one created by a good guy. Technically Erkshine did it to Skull so I count him as the first. Loki was always superpowerful. Abomination really did it to himself. Banner wasn't responsible. Whiplash and Iron Monger same deal.

In this instance,
    Coulson's actions lead to Graviton's creation. Think Batman causing the Joker or Two-Face. Coulson created Graviton.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not true. Emil Blonsky was the result of General Ross giving the order to have him injected with what Banner came up with. Iron Monger was the result of Tony creating the Mark I armor and Whiplash due to Howard Stark getting his father kicked out of the country.

For its members.

No more silly than Pym's particles. Or Gamma radiation turning people into the Hulk and Hulk like beings.

6. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Not that this matters, but this happens currently in the real world. For example, the US military use to make what was called the HOOAH! energy bar:

[​IMG]

It was designed and produced by the military for deployable meals. It's been since sold to a private company which now markets it. The US government also produces its own water for use in secure supply lines. So really, SHIELD is on par with any number of other, less secret governmental organizations... ;)

Juliet316 and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  7. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Because now they can sell it. I know at least a few people who would purchase it if they saw it in a store. Me ... personally, I'm going to hold out for S.H.E.I.L.D. the flamethrower ...

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Merchandising, merchandising. Where the super spy agency gets its funding.

RC-1991, Penguinator and Juliet316 like this.
  10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I can't wait to see the SHIELD Ranch Dressing.

Juliet316 and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This episode was certainly more enjoyable than the first two, but the gravitonium thing makes no sense. Why would an atom, made of protons, neutrons, and electrons, change gravity in any way? They should have just made it a subatomic particle.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Alt helicarrier, nothing to do with the show or Marvel just something I came across today.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    SHIELD is the new DHARMA.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Better episode, but since the temple thing just won't die, let's go for it.

I. I don't know why you're insisting we're getting wound up just because we mentioned it. I went out of my way to say it's not a huge issue. I actually like the show, and acknowledge its main point is "fun."

II. However, if we want to treat it like a huge issue, then we can talk about how American media tends to treat other peoples and cultures as handy backdrops instead of... you know, people. But nah, let's just call it geeky nitpicking instead. That way we won't have to think. (seriously guys -- missing the point, it's not a " :-B actually that's a mesoamerican temple" it's a "you're seriously going to treat all brown people south of the Rio the same because you don't give two ****s?". We're not talking two neighboring countries here.)

III. Speaking of not having to think, lol BBT. Look, it's a comic book store, look it's a masturbation joke, look it's a person who can't understand the science terms! See -- I don't have a problem with SHIELD because it's not supposed to be clever, just fun. But somehow people insist BBT is clever, and that's really sad.

RC-1991, Mar17swgirl and Mia Mesharad like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks like the first layer in building the Executor out if LEGOs... ;)

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I can't stress this enough.

The distinctions we're asking for aren't subtle. It's like asking people to realize that samurai aren't a feature of historical Chinese society. Why do people know a whole catalog of differences between the English and French, but empires separated by centuries and whole continents became one indistinguishable morass? What happened to the idea that the whole world has things worth learning about? That every culture has some intrinsic value? I've never been to Peru, but I have been through secondary school, which provided enough exposure to recognize what they got wrong. As Jello said, it's not really a huge problem that they made the error they did. It wasn't even mentioned outside of teasing sort of "really?" note. But by insisting so stridently that this sort of basic point is and should be only highly technical, specialized knowledge, you are intrinsically pushing the notion that it's somehow less worth knowing than other peoples and other histories.

I'm not really trying to hold myself up as perfect, either. There are huge gaps in my own knowledge, and even the basics of a lot of stuff escape me. But when someone points it out, I'm not going to attack that person and tell them its a worthless issue no one should care about.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Thanks Wocky -- like I said, I am happy to move on, but I reject the notion that it's just quibbling.

Anyway, moving on. I think the reason this week's episode worked when the last two didn't is because this is the first to really focus on the characters as characters. For all that last week's episode was about team building, they kind of just told us that the team was built but we couldn't really see it. Here we actually saw the characters acting like characters -- a bit of a literal reenactment of Coulson's "just try to be a person" suggestion.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Want.

20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'm realizing that most of my complaints about this show are just quibbles, but I still think Gravitonium is a really dumb name. :p

s65horsey likes this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Is it really any dumber than Einsteinium, Rutherfordium, Mendelevium, or any of the other handful of similarly-names elements?

22. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, those were named after very deserving scientists. The suffix gets a little repetitive, yes, but else can they use? -gen?

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Is the state of California a very deserving scientist? I don't think so. [face_mischief]

24. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    You didn't include that one by name in your original little list, there, though, buddy. ;) We're talking about three elements named after very deserving scientists, aren't we? Yeah, we are.

25. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Oh, they're dumb names, too, don't get me wrong.