main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Why don't we see more military based films?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    After reading the couple of responses in CoD thread I started to today I got to thinking on why there are not many military based films. You know, about soldiers doing their stuff in war. I would love to a lot more historical based film, one set in modern times and some in the near future. Since their are very few films on the subject, it is a creative gold mine in what you could do. Video games have take this genre and run why can movie do the same and give us some different stuff to watch.

2. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    As far as I can tell, because a real military film would be intensely boring. That's what military life is like from what I've heard -- long stretches of intense boredom punctuated intermittently by unbridled terror.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Military films only usually work when they're heavily focused: either character-driven (even biopic in nature) or focused on a single place, or setting. Otherwise they can be unfocused.

But there are plenty of great military films. I'm fond of epics, and both The Bridge on the River Kwai[ and Lawrence of Arabia are military.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There are a metric ton of films based on historic wars, or does that massive glut of films about World War II not count for some reason?

5. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Błack Hawk Down, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Saving Private Ryan etc etc

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The one by Michael Bay certainly doesn't. ;)

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    We don't speak of that thing, Todd. :p

8. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    You've got what has got to be the most relevant username ever chosen.

9. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Because video games are not movies and can get away with more boring subjects.

10. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Are you talking about Pearl Harb--

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Fine, I'll balance it out by bringing up the fantastic Das Boot, a WWII film that doesn't get nearly enough love.

V-2, Sarge and Ender Sai like this.
  12. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I admit if you would have to add a little more excitement to it all but it could make for good movies.

WWII is movies need to stop, out of all of the past conflicts. Give us more about the Korean or Vietnam Wars.

Those movies are five or more years old (at least most of them). We need new movies.
    Are you talking to me?
    No they can't. Games have to keep you interested in their stories for 7 to 10 hours (about the average length of AAA titles). If they were boring they would not be growing so fast into multi-million dollar productions.

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    GENERATION KILL?

Is this thread more accurately titled: "I haven't seen any military movies come on my TV in recent weeks. Because I'm too lazy to check anywhere but said TV feed I'm going to assume that nothing has been made, ever, and complain about it."?

Because that's how it feels.

Or; the Merlin Ambrosius school of deducting reasoning has another proud graduate!

V-2, MrZAP, DarthLowBudget and 5 others like this.
  14. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I check multiple place and could only find four or five military movies release since 2009 and that is why I made this thread. Also people I am not just talking about historical. Personally I would like to see some near future films.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh well, I guess that settles it, only 5 military films made since 2009. What did you think of that French one?

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Are you kidding me? There are way too many films that are based on militaries, war and fighting. This **** comes out constantly. Act of Valor? Zero Dark Thirty? (I'm counting it, special forces were involved) Red Tails? Battleship? War Horse? The Expendables? Red Dawn remake? Battle: Los Angeles?

There are dozens of major films on the recent wars in the Middle East that took place only in the last decade. There's dozens of major films on the prior Gulf War, hundreds of major films on Vietnam, a few on Korea and thousands of major films on WW2. Then there's all the fictional military movies plus fantastical stuff like GI Joe.

The last thing Americans need is more "America, **** yeah" military propaganda.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Lazy Storm Trooper : Watch some films older than 2009. Your life will be better for it.

The Hurt Locker is about the Iraq War and won an Oscar.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And you were just saying how you hate being called an old fogie :D

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, I was actually saying I hate stereotypes. ;)

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I was going to go down this path after an elaborate set up first. :(

But yes, all the above. Plus there's Forces Spécial, a 2011 French film about... the French special forces.

Lazy Storm Merlin69, IMHO.

21. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Whoa, whoa, whoa... come on, Ender. Lazy Storm Trooper is in my humble opinion a very promising newbie. He's not done anything to be sullied with that kind of brush yet.

22. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Tom Hanks and Speilberg are doing another mini series too about the fighter pilots so theres that.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK, if you say so Cor, I will back off.

Lazy. Have you seen Generation Kill?

NOTE: If the answer isn't yes, it should be "no, but I've bought it on iTunes/Google Play/ordered it on Netflix/am off to pick up the Blu-Ray right now".

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There are too many military films.

V-2 likes this.
  25. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Terminator Salvation was a military film basically. Even though it sucked. Theres your future military film LOL.