main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Why don't we see more military based films?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I will play what I want.

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Hi, Arlon.

(you asked earlier what you should do to avoid being sullied. Well, don't post stuff like that)

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Or if you want military/war stuff, play something that requires strategy and creativity.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Like Civ V.

MrZAP, DarthLowBudget and Coruscant like this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Honestly? I'd heed SLG's advice. Civilisation will teach you a rich array of concepts - strategy, tactics, the value of diplomacy... The Mongols used to say that an army of donkeys lead by a lion would defeat an army of lions lead by a donkey. They lived this philosophy - Temujin was arguably the greatest general in all of history, who used every weapon available to him to grow his empire.

I don't play a lot of online shooters - last I played was Far Cry 3 - but the way Civilisation taught me to think has a big impact on how I approach those games.

Penguinator likes this.
  6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    The last games I played involving shooting was the Mass Effect series. If you want to get your shooting fix, play that.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  7. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I do play Civ and many non-war games.

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Just go read the Lord of The Rings a few times while listening to Genesis, Pink Floyd, Rush, and Yes.

9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I don't like fantasy...

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Jesus does every single noob have to create a thread where they mentally break down due to sensitivity towards snark?

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Don't you trail your ellipses with me, young man, you drop and give me twenty chapters of Tolkien, stat!

12. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Don't like fantasy? What kind of gamer are you....

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    [​IMG]

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    eh, the diplomacy system of the Civ games is a thin veneer at best. It's gotten even more simplistic with Civ 5, I think, which is pretty much a huge shame given how much effort they put into the leader graphics. Civ is just super super arcade-y. I quite enjoyed Civ 2 and Civ 3 was my favorite of the series, Civ 4 took some getting used to but I liked it. Civ 5... I hugely regret that purchase.

Honestly, you can get better strategic/diplomatic gameplay in the Total War series, which is mostly built around tactical set-pieces but with an increasingly complex campaign map. Crusader Kings II, I would say, is the gold standard when it comes to a strategy game though. For more tactical stuff, I'd say do something like Advance Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, as well as the aforementioned Total War games.

Violent Violet Menace and MrZAP like this.
  15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Jello, the Brave New World expansion has made diplomacy a bit more complex and made the game overall really good.

16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    My account is older than yours noob... :p

A gun-shooting, car-driving, Lego building, sci-fi loving, friendly online gamer who has unwillingly deserted his gaming buddies...

17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Psst...he's not a noob.

18. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    God dammit people. I create a misinformed thread about something and everyone gets pissed. Chill.

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Hasn't Internets been lurking for a really, really long time? I mean, anybody could say that, but with Internets, I believe him when he says it. Being a noob is more about how your post rather than what your reg date is. In that way, Lazy Storm Trooper is far more of a noob than Internets.

I don't think this is really a noob breakdown thread, though.

edit: ahahahah, sorry, Lazy Storm Trooper, we're definitely not pissed.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Nobody's pissed. This is the JCC -- we don't get pissed, we take the piss.

21. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    No one is pissed. If you want to play bland simple minded games go ahead. I have nothing against that, I play them too. But I also play ones that require thinking, which I strongly suggest you do. I just think that's the end point to your original topic - military games have a tendency to be simple minded, and they're vastly different from military films. A game at the end of the day is a game and not a commentary. Games can make commentary on a historical event, but they inject so much more lighthearted and simple elements into it as well that it's not going to be comparable to film. A game is a game at the end of the day.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Civ 2 was the pinnacle of Civ games. However, with respect of your post Iello... it would be wise to consider the audience and then put my remarks in the context of that audience.

You magnificent closet populares, you.

And Vivec, there are some excellent shooters out there which don't involve redneck fantasies and genocide. Far Cry 2 was one of my favourite examples of this, given the depth of tactical choice the player had. Deus Ex (the original) and Deus Ex: Human Revolution tackled weighty concepts like transhumanism whilst allowing players the option to play through the game with minimal to no kills.

Play the story, regardless of the mode in which it's told - in my opinion anyway.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I played Deus Ex: HR. It was pretty good.

24. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I tried to act respectable but the second people find out my age everyone acts like I can't have an opinion on stuff. It is just not what I used to. Most online communities I have been on have thought about how you act and not how old you are (like it been seeming to be like here). Most place I been online have been happy not jaded half of the time like here. I love being on these forums but all the negativity it just amazing.

Now this might be a noob breakdown...

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Vivs: Oh? I've ignored all expansions given how disappointed I was with the game... didn't want to throw away more money.

Excuse me? Take back that vile calumny, sir.

(pssst: the singular of populares is popularis :p)

As far as good shooters... Dishonored's pretty cool. It's a game that lets you go through it like a mindless brute killing everything in sight but it punishes you with a bad ending if you do so, as well as a deteriorating game environment. It's highly possible -- and in fact, encouraged -- to do a non-lethal run through the game and there are multiple ways through every portion of every level to accomplish your goals nonviolently and stealthily. Ordinarily I have little patience for stealth gameplay, but seeing as the main purpose of the game was playing a courtier trying to restore an empress to her rightful throne, I actually had an incentive to play the creative way and I'm glad the game forced me to because it's actually a whole lot of fun thinking through those challenges.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.