main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Why don't we see more military based films?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

I thought you liked Call of Duty.

Penguinator likes this.
  2. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I would also recommend everyone the Splinter Cell series. They are amazing stealth games.

I thought you liked Call of Duty.[/quote]
    Hell No. Other than the stories (no matter how unrealistic they are) to me their is no other good qualities. Mechanics are bad, MP is bad, and the community is bad. I don't really like those games much.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Pong was gaming's peak.

Sarge, Katana_Geldar and Coruscant like this.
  4. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Then you are missing out on a lot...

5. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Pfft, crokinole or nothing.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It was all downhill after Spacewar! anyway.

7. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

It's dangerous to go alone.

Take one of these:

[​IMG]

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Dishonoured was thoroughly unrewarding though Jello. I played it stealthily (and anyone who says stealth and never played as Garrett... GTFOTMFB) as well as brutally and once you get the rune/power/whatever that lets you vape an enemy when you kill them you limit the risk of the plague spreading. I found it pretty unrewarding.

9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012

Knew that was sarcasm and it was a half sarcastic answer.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ender: eh? I'd read that the developers specifically confirmed that that specific ability still counted as a kill for purposes of the chaos calculation (as well as the kills statistic).

11. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    What half?

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Jello: Yeah, it's a lot better. Gods and Kings improved AI combat a bit (though the AI cannot for the life of it properly handle a navy) add a religion mechanic that's pretty good, and readded spies. Brave New World made the AI a bit better, added trade routes, an ideology mechanic (communism, fascism, democracy), a tourism mechanic, and a world congress. Compared to vanilla Civ, current Civ is great.

13. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Can't get any better than this.

[​IMG]

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I tried to play Crusader Kings 2 and my brain exploded. I think it has the most useless tutorials of all time.

Saintheart likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, the tutorial doesn't... tell you anything. You've just muck around until you figure it out. Guess it keeps out the riffraff, but it also means you're confused for a while.

16. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I've read that Crusader Kings 2 is supposed to have a really good Game of Thrones mod.

GenAntilles likes this.
  17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I would suggest skipping the in-game tutorial, which is bugged anyway, and just reading this: http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/ It's somewhat outdated by the expansions/updates - to the extent that a revision is currently in progress, but it's really helpful for actually learning the game. I was instructed in the fine art of EU3 by this guy, he's got a knack for explaining the mechanics.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Eh. It's creative and got some nice features, but the designers are really... lacking an attention span. Instead of focusing on polishing, they've decided to have as many playable historical periods from ASOIAF as possible with the net result of very little depth. The best part of that mod is using characters people are familiar with, so you'd think a setting during the books would be ideal, but they love doing thing's like Aegon's Conquest or Robert's Rebellion where we might know (in the former case) like 3 names and that's it.

I prefer the base game which has actual historical dudes in it and is balanced and designed for long points of history.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Jello; if it made a hint of difference, I certainly didn't notice it.

20. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    After watching Master and Commander I recommended it to my sister. Her response was: "Oh... is that one of those films that has no women in it?".

I actually laughed at first at the idea that there were a whole bunch of films that did not feature women in them, it just seemed so unlikely; then I realised that I had actually seen lots of films that had no female characters of any real weight or dimension, used solely as window dressing if they were there at all, and most of these films were war films. I'm a guy and simply had not noticed this until it was pointed out to me.

You'll notice that in all the big budget super-hero films there is a romance sub-plot, whether it makes sense or not, whether it's good or not; the studios think, rightly or wrongly, that women want romance in their films, and the female demographic (and their cash) is very important to the studios, especially since Titanic. Getting a big budget film green-lit today is, I imagine, very difficult if it doesn't feature a romance sub-plot and at least one strong female character, and that can be difficult to slot into a script based on a CoD-style narrative.

War films are too violent for young kids, also an important demographic that you can say goodbye to, whereas with, say, super-hero movies or most sci-fi/fantasy movies, kids will actively want to go see them (theoretically... poor John Carter:().

I think the lack of war films in recent years is a symptom of a much bigger problem, which is that studios are concentrating on big budget tent-poles that have to have the widest demographic possible to bring in the cash, and much smaller budget films like rom-coms; mid-budget actioners just aren't getting green-lit today. That might be an over-simplistic take on the matter, but I really think until you have a mega-hit war film that appeals to teenage girls and young kids as well as the male 18-35 demographic the studios simply won't put up the money for semi-realistic war films.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You would be Pearson. I'd be Colbert.

Guy would be Wright.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  23. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I'd rather no romance in a film than bad, forced romance.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This thread reminds me that I have Deus Ex but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS