main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

I'm sure you did. :p If it makes you feel any better, you could replay the final sequence of the Tyranny and kill King Washington over and over.

I did dislike the fact that, despite what was originally said regarding Connor taking out targets on both sides of the conflict, the game felt more like a "Huzzah Colonials, Boo British" affair. There were angels but mostly demons on BOTH sides of the conflict. Case in point, what Washington did to Connor's village. You'd think Connor would've shown a bit more outrage than just part ways with the esteemed George Washington, not even considering taking him out right then and there at Valley Forge.

In the end, I found the whole thing rather dull, nowhere near as compelling as Ezio's vendetta throughout AC2 and Brotherhood. Luckily, the naval combat broke the tedium considerably. It is easily the highlight of AC3 and I wish we had gotten more naval missions than the rather limited set we got.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, having found Revelations crap and AC3's mixed reception not really selling it, jumping to Black Flag might be the best option?

3. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Revelations starts off slow, but it concludes Ezio's story, and that's worth sticking around for. I wanted to give up on it as well, but after the first hour or so, the gameplay is just as good as Brotherhood; ignore the cart chase crap at the beginning, as it's only that dull once. And don't worry about taking dens if you don't want to. Just take the ones you need to take for a quest region (since the main game is not all that long), then let them get taken over again. Doesn't affect the end game.

Also, the weird thing is, AC III has great reviews from legitimate outlets. Almost all 80% and up, which is calculated from mostly 4 out of 5 star reviews. I'm playing it now and picking up on the fact that it's just glutted fans who complain. It also starts off slow, but for legit story reasons, and there's a cool twist.

Anyway, waiting for AC IV is probably going to pose the same problem you're experiencing with AC III. People will always complain about a yearly series because they assume it was made in under a year (which isn't true; Ubisoft just had tons of studio resources and the work overlaps), and every little inadequacy they find, they'll blame on that. Also, they'll not realize that it's themselves who have grown tired of the material and that it's not the material's fault, because they've been playing these games joylessly. But despite all that, the reviews from professionals will probably be decent at minimum. If you've got an objective bone in your body, it shouldn't be so miserable as everybody tries to tell you.

4. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    AC3 is actually my favourite of the series (so far). I love the ambiguity, I love the changes they made to the gameplay, I love Haytham and Ratonhnhake:ton. It can be fairly linear at times but I've never been of the opinion that linearity is necessarily bad as long as you're having fun along the way, which I certainly did.

The Homestead content is just brilliant, and the Naval Combat unique.

While Desmond's ending was rushed, he actually gets a few missions outside a single room with an Animus inside it, and they were awesome.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  5. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    FRIGGIN' FRACKIN' GODDANG DOGGIT AC3 just went on sale for 66% off on Steam precisely one day after I bought it I AM GOING TO PUKE THINGS.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  6. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I've said it before, Haytham was a magnificent charming bastich. His kid though was....eh. And the Desmond missions were very nice.

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I preordered the edition of AC3 with the statue of Connor and all the extra goodies. I hiked through three feet of snow at midnight to go to the midnight launch (my first and so far only midnight launch). I played it all night. I thought Haytham was really cool and the twist with his introduction were brilliant. This was great! We had this game that was trying to shake the formula of the others! Why was he running to the New World? How would his relationship with Connor unfold? What cool stuff did they have in store for us?

Not enough, sadly. I had a blast playing AC3, but it just didn't live up to the promises. It was buggy, poorly designed in many places, and Connor was pretty unlikeable (though I quickly warmed up to him and felt, overall, the story was fantastic and serious and relatively grounded). Desmond's missions showed promise, but the game tried to do too much. Trading was awkward, naval combat could have been used more, and traversing the wilderness felt pretty awkward at times. The combat was fun, though, and they did enough to shake things up and make it fun.

I really want to be excited for AC4, but I'm skeptical. The other games were must buys for me; this one, well...I'll have to wait a bit.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Whats bugs did you guys had?

I only encountered the one where there is a deer standing and you can walk right through it and the other one is The Encyclopedia of the Common Man, can never get the achievement cause it's bugged.

9. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I encountered a few bugs, but I don't really remember them that well.

I do remember that it took me a while to figure out how to properly utilize the redone combat system. I felt that the combat system was fairly weak, but maybe that was just my ineptitude

10. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm usually pretty lucky in that I rarely experience bugs. In fact, I only remember having two in an AC game. One was AC2 where I was stood upon a rooftop in Venice and the game continuously spawned guards on the rooftop until it was full and then kept spawning them... which meant there were guards showering into the streets and river below.

Pretty damn hilarious. Stood there for a good couple of minutes.

The other I get consistently in Brotherhood after completing 16's Truth/Miracle segment. Desmond just completely freaks out while laid down in the Animus, shaking around the screen and I can't do anything other than spam the "X" button and wait for the moment it'll put me back into Ezio's memories.

None in AC3 - got the Encyclopedia of the Common Man trophy. The only thing I vehemently disliked in the game was the underground tunnels. Having to jog holding the lantern and, being a completionist, open all of the entrances which I never used, was awful.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

I don't know why I can't get that, everything in the journal is checked off and still nothing

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I think I remember running into a few bugs in AC3, but the one that stands out the most was Achilles' clone(s) standing around while playing Fanorona with him in the homestad. Speaking of which, what a frakked up game that is, and Achilles' always wins. The man cheats I tell you. Cheats! As for The Encyclopeadia of the Common Man, I gave up on that achievement one pretty quick. It's simply too time consuming and it made me feel like a damn stalker waiting around for any of the people loitering in my backyard to do whatever it is they were meant to do in order to progress through that.

Penguinator likes this.
  13. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Horses. Horses are the most broken thing in AC3.

"Hi ho, Silver! FORWARDS! No, forwards, damn it....****. **** this."

The whole economy aspect just doesn't work - at all - because it's so tangential to the game. Similarly, the idea that somehow you're a third party in the conflict, taking out British and American templars, was a load of crap. I killed far more redcoats than I did rebels. That was weird.

Naval combat is the most fun thing in AC3, and I had moments where my ship flipped onto its back and the game just kept going like somehow that was normal. I would have to restart the mission or wait until the British ships smashed me to pieces.

Also, the mission where you chase Charles while **** is kicking off around you - it is impossible to get 100% synch because wow you just can't. You can't. Things will explode, or the guys you're supposed to avoid will move so their arbitrary hit box/window/whatever catches you no matter how hard you try, or Charles JUST KEEPS RUNNING, or you get lost because wow level design needed more money. Seriously, I had to restart that section in the dry-docked boat fifteen times. There is no clear path.

And I know, I know, it's meant to be open-world, but the open world is barren, and the moments where you need guidance, such as crucial story missions and timed events, do not give enough guidance.

I am totally nitpicking and venting here, I will admit, but a lot of these problems could have been avoided very easily. Every time in AC1, 2, or Brotherhood where I failed an objective or got caught during my stealth, I felt like it was my fault because the rules of the game were always the same. In AC3, it felt like no matter what I did, something would go wrong and would be completely out of my control. And that's the thing with games that use stealth or free-running: they're best when they give you a feeling of power, or a feeling that you can get out of any situation. The new Splinter Cell is fantastic, because every time you get caught or spotted, you feel like you've got exit strategies. Far Cry 3, as well - if stealth fails, your guns will silence witnesses just fine. Assassin's Creed puts in so many rules or counters to your stealth and movement that it feels like it doesn't play fair. The mechanics just don't add up, to me.

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Penguinator, it sounds - honestly - like what you are saying is that AC3 didn't work to avoid user error as much as previous iterations did? I had no problem with that mission you're referring to, and the open world wasn't an issue for me either.

15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

I just found it to be a slog - it all felt awkward, and there wasn't much tying everything together. I suppose it didn't work for me, is what I'm getting at, but man, I have been wanting to vent about AC3 for a while :p

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The last mission chasing Lee was incredibly annoying, I think I failed about 20 times too.

Penguinator likes this.
  17. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    BF: 1943 (trying to get the play one-hundred matches achievement)

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Er...wrong thread?

I think what Penguinator is trying to say is that AC3 can be very punishing to players with many of the ridiculous constraints put on most missions. It wants you to be a perfect player in a very imperfect sandbox. I'm not the kind of player that is a stickler to perfection when getting from point A-B, especially not for the sake of an achievement/trophy or mere bragging rights, but the constraints/100% synch requirements in Brotherhood or Revelations were at least a bit more reasonable.

Penguinator likes this.
  19. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Yep. Was trying for what are you playing right now thread.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

I think throwing smoke bombs is what the makes the 100% easier to get, and will fail less

21. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Don't get hit in the Tank - that one in Brotherhood killed me. Revelations has the Master Assassin mission where the printer you're protecting isn't allowed to take damage... only the enemies come in waves of three/four and run straight at him.

What I'm trying to say is that I feel AC3 is on the same difficulty level as the ones that came before. I have 100% sync, and while some took a few tries, none seemed overly difficult, and yeah, you don't have to do them.

The only one I hated in AC3 was in a naval mission called The Giant and the Storm where you had to destroy all 3 ships by targeting the weak spots with the side cannons. It was so difficult to get ships to display those weak spots without outright killing them.

Penguinator and Mia Mesharad like this.
  22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Was that the last naval mission you had to do cause i gave up trying to get 100% sync on that

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I encountered a really hilarious cutscene glitch in III where you're at Achilles's bed as he's dying. Except there is no bed, and he's just floating in the middle of the air where a bed should be. Also, his head is turned at 180. It was like something out of The Exorcist.

24. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Took me about a dozen tries to figure out the first part of that sequence, I had a rough time just getting to the boat with all those people in the way... after that, I don't recall having any more trouble. But it was more than enough to kill the buzz of finally catching Lee, before I even got there.
    This.

Penguinator likes this.
  25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Just throw down smoke bombs to distract the guards, it makes it easier