main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being!"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Separatist101, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I think we should just agree that, as is the case with so much of E4, Lucas was making things up as he went along. Sure he had an "original vision" but sometimes what you originally envision just doesn't translate well to shooting a low budget sci-fi movie under immense studio pressure. Lucas' "original vision" was the Obi-Wan was more of a crazy old coot, but I doubt any of us will criticize the way Alec Guiness played him.

When Harrison Ford spoke the lines "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being" everyone on set was thinking Jabba was human. However that scene was cut and, despite what some in here claim, deleted scenes are not canon so Lucas was free to start from scratch when filming E6.

Then, almost 20 years later when making the SE, Lucas decided to put the scene back in. The line "you're a wonderful human being" still worked because of the arrogant, cocksure manner in which Ford delivered it.

Furthermore I absolutely LOVE the way Solo shows absolutely no facial expression whatsoever when he steps on Jabba's tail. I would call it brilliant acting but I know that what really happened is that when Harrison Ford filmed the scene, he was walking around behind another actor and there was no tail to step on and the whole thing was a digital manipulation.

I have to say the scene 100% works for me, and especially with the "newer" CGI version of Jabba.

Seagoat and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Han shooting first was canon- yet Lucas was still "free to start from scratch" when redoing that scene for the Special Edition.

Something being canon doesn't mean Lucas can't change it.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Jabba was once a human but due to horrific genetic experiments that he used to try to turn himself into a more effective Sith, he become a slug.

Yes, he's actually Darth Plagieus.

4. malaksilver

malaksilver Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2013
    sarcasem is awesome

5. Master Sabira

Master Sabira Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2013
    I feel it was Han trying to show he was in control of what was happening to him. It gave him a fearless look

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Spelling good and typing good too is awesome too.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Han needs some Lasik.

8. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Not exactly diplomatic. Han was saying that he would pay Jabba because he wants to pay Jabba, not because he has to pay him. And, given Han's sarcastic nature, the line works no matter which Jabba, human or alien, is included.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Or Han was suffering from early onset dementia and thought Jabba was a human.

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Grammar is also pretty awesome.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That was intentional. I was making subtle references to Zoolander. You know, the School for Kids Who Can't Read Good and do Other Things Good Too.

12. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I think the line works better with Jabba as a Hutt. With him as a human, it's kind of bland and unneeded.

Revanfan1 and Sarge like this.