main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Call of Duty Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Okay. Since the last CoD series thread died way back in 2006 I decided just to create a new thread.

Games in the CoD series:
    Call of Duty (2003)
    Call of Duty 2 (2005)
    Call of Duty 3 (2006)
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)
    Call of Duty: World at War (2008)
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009)
    Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010)
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011)
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012)
    Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013) (Upcoming)

Trailers for the Newest game CoD: Ghosts:

Personally Ghosts is the first CoD I have ever been excited to play.

Also while doing research I found this:

Its funny to me because I use to live on Ramstein AFB (also they pronounced it wrong :mad:).

So what is your favorite CoD game?

Are you excited for Ghosts?

What your opinion on the series?

I don't like the MP mechanics but love the stories behind the campaigns.

Have a nice day and May the Force be with you.

2. A Username

A Username Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2013
    I can't understand why they don't make these games into movies. The story-lines are pretty cool.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I also play Call of Duty for the campaigns, though Black Ops II has finally given me a good feel for multiplayer, since it has bots and I don't have internet on consoles, so I had only really played 1v1 against my brother until recently.

I don't understand why they don't make some of the games into movies either, because complain all you want about the lack of evolution in the franchise, they always have solid stories, and Black Ops II and now Ghosts finally seem to be fixing the evolution problems.

4. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I really do love the campaigns. I feel sad that most fans of the series really don't care about them.

5. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I have unfortunately only played Finest Hour, Big Red One, the Modern Warfare Trilogy, and Black Ops II, but my favorite out of those is probably Black Ops II. I like the story of Black Ops II, this is coming from someone who hasn't even played Black Ops, and the gameplay is great, though I can't stand Admiral Briggs and his foul mouth. Zombies is just too hard for me, though I want to give the older incarnations a try and to play some more coop.

The Modern Warfare Trilogy is collectively my second favorite. Modern Warfare 2 was my introduction to Call of Duty, so I have a certain fondness for it. I also prefer Modern Warfare 2's Special Ops in comparison to Modern Warfare 3's, though I want to play the DLC Special Ops. Survival Mode irritates me, because I like Firefight from Halo and its conventional enemies, so I want it to be like the Wave Defense Special Ops from Modern Warfare 2 with the armories and Juggernauts. Homeland Security is my most favorite Special Ops mission for a reason.

6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The first CoD game I bought was Modern Warfare 3. I had tried Black Ops but didn't like it. I did like MW3 though and got BO2. What I liked most about BO2 was that the choices you make had consequences that weren't immediately obvious. Ghosts should be good. One thing I liked about MW3 was that there was a score based streak which was great for those of us who, er, die a lot. Ghosts is going to have that again, which should be good. It might not have the best rewards but it means I get to call them in instead of struggling to get the first one.

7. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Does anyone else miss being able to deploy light machine guns in windows and other surfaces from the WWII games? That is one of the reasons I want to play Battlefield 3, I have played Battlefield 2 and definitely want to play Battlefield 4, and I would have if it wasn't a complete waste of money to play it without internet among other things, such as not having a computer capable of handling it and Origin.

I love the idea of the Strike Package system, I just haven't got to properly play Modern Warfare 3 to truly appreciate it, due to my pesky lack of internet on consoles problem.

8. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I usually avoid CODs Multiplayer since I find PvP distasteful however the Campaigns are actually really enjoyable. My favorite COD has to go to the First Modern Warfare, thanks to the fantastic "All Ghilied Up" level and the Nuke ending the American campaign. I used to enjoy Zombies back when it was simple in World at War, and Black Ops zombies was never quite as fun as the original.
    I too sorely miss this feature as I used to deploy my FG 42 all the time in World at War.

9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I wonder if there is going to be a Ghosts sequel. I sorry to say that Ghosts 2 just doesn't sound good.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Big fan of the series,

Fav game would be Black Ops 2 followed by the Modern Warfare Series, can't wait for Ghosts, should be good.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

There will be.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Remember when there were rumors that Modern Warfare 4 would be the next COD game?

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    So, there is no way to get the Hardened/Veteran achievements (Black Ops II Master, Old Fashioned, and Futurist) in Black Ops II without a New Story on Veteran? I ask this because I beat it on Regular months ago and finally got Giant Accomplishment and Showdown yesterday, so the last thing I have left in the campaign is to beat it on Hardened and Veteran. However, when I replayed each mission on Hardened today, excluding Strike Force, I didn't get Black Ops II Master.

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The storylines are often highly realistic and nuanced.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Anyone know the plot line for Ghosts?

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    As I understand it, the United States was attacked via a hacked Orbital Defense Initiative (ODIN) space station ten years before Ghosts, so the United States is no longer a superpower. The Ghosts, the remnants of the United States Special Forces, are fighting against the Federation, an alliance of South American countries that is the new superpower, simply for the survival of the United States.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Ah thanks, sounds interesting.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    By interesting, do you mean heart-stoppingly stupid?

19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Now now, Ender. There MIGHT actually be a profound story therein.

Emphasis on "might", which can instantly be read as....not. :p

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I've oft argued that Latin America, with it's general eye to cooperation and pan-Latin supremacy is a strategic threat to the USA. Lucky I'm not alone.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to spend an hour saluting your flag as single tears randomly make their way down my cheeks (at irregular intervals of course).

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  21. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

So it's like GI Joe: Retaliation but not as fun?

22. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I agree with Legolas Skywalker in that the story does seem interesting. I also get the feeling that Ender Sai might be right in that it'll be stupid. It'll be interesting because it's not just the US saving the world from terrorists with stolen nukes (yet again), but there's also nothing to stop them doing anything stupid with it. For me, as long as I enjoy it, I don't really care if it's stupid or not. In fact, I think a bit of silly can be a good thing. Take Saints Row for example, that's sillier than an explosion in a silly string factory run by clowns and it's awesome.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Difference is that saints row does not take itself seriously...

24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    So we've graduated from Russians to Russians/brown people to brown people for CoD villains.

25. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

Russia will never go out of style as a villain, it seems. If it's not Soviets, then it's post-Soviet oligarchs with private armies. If it's not them, it's radical ultranationalist Russians seizing control (who do they think is in charge currently?), and if it's not them, then it's probably just Russian terrorists.