main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Why don't we see more military based films?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    CIV 2 was the best of the series. But for a game that just about captured the perfect blend of strategy and tactics, I'd easily recommend the Steel Panther series. I'm pretty sure there are emulation mods out there since the game more than an decade old. But Steel Panthers excelled over all others for 3 reasons:

1)Historical accuracy-You could start at just after WWI and progress all the way to the start of the Korean War. Later mods included Vietnam and Desert Storm. If you wanted a dose..er..slap in the face on the condition of UK, US, and ANZAC at the start of WW2, turn on the "historical accuracy" setting and watch the Nazis steam roll over everything. You were forced to develop tactics, as they were the only thing that stood between you and repeating the mantra of "But the Allied forces are supposed to win!" over and over....Later in the war, the situation is reversed, but it really puts into perspective had Hitler not been insane, how the Wehrmacht could have dominated over Europe, and how things like Dunkirk and Kasserine Pass actually came to pass.

2) Modification potential-If you got tired of being steamrolled by Nazi AI on the reality setting, the game also allowed all sorts of modifications. I always had Sgt Rock as my go to small unit leader..(how could you not) but if you wanted to create "Rat Patrol" style units that used jeeps with .50cals, you could. Or gun trucks that zipped around the battlefield mounted with a quad .50 cal mount that was particularly effective against infantry and light tanks...and so on.

3)The sheer amount of equipment/hardware available in the game. The developers of Steel Panthers must have been awarded a PhD in WWII studies after releasing this, because beyond the traditional US/UK/NAZI/RUSSIAN stuff that other sims had, Steel Panthers had just about everything used by all the participants in armed conflict. Curious to find out what India modified for use from the UK? it was in there. Interested in the differences between Italian, Romanian, Slovak, and Norwegian forces? All were detailed. Did you want to confirm your hunch that the New Zealanders preferred light tanks to the Aussies heavier tanks as part of ANZAC? Yep, it was there. And all progressed as the years went on...

Good stuff that game was.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Which one?

The original might just be my favourite game ever.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The newest one. Human Revolution I think?

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    YEah you wanna get on that... right away.

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

pvt pearson deffo

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Saw a preview for Lone Survivor, which appears to be about four soldiers (maybe Navy SEALS; I wasn't clear) sent in to try to take out an Al-Qaeda leader. Rated R for War Violence Throughout or some such thing. So there's a new one coming out. It's got Mark Wahlberg, like every movie that comes out nowdays. But I spotted Ben Foster, who I love way, way too much, as one of the main four guys, which is awesome. And I think that was Eric Bana as somebody, though not one of the main four.

But there's a military based movie. Though this thread seems to have kind of changed to video games.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Saw a preview for Lone Survivor, which appears to be about four soldiers (maybe Navy SEALS; I wasn't clear) sent in to try to take out an Al-Qaeda leader. Rated R for War Violence Throughout or some such thing. So there's a new one coming out. It's got Mark Wahlberg, like every movie that comes out nowdays. But I spotted Ben Foster, who I love way, way too much, as one of the main four guys, which is awesome. And I think that was Eric Bana as somebody, though not one of the main four.

But there's a military based movie. Though this thread seems to have kind of changed to video games.

8. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
  9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm serious about my Napoleonic Wars KOTOR RPG idea.

MrZAP likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Have you read a single Sharpe novel, Wiwec?

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I have not. From looking it up it seems to be a series taking place in the aforementioned wars, which means i will put it on my list.

12. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Have you tried Napoleon: Total War yet? I haven't played it (my computer can't handle such games very well so I'm still on M2 and Empire) but I've seen some LPs and it looks like quitre the immersive campaign game.

I would really like a good strategy game taking place during WWI, though I don't know of any.

Oh, and to the OP: Watch Patton. That is all.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I saw a trailer for that. When's it coming out?

14. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

December. Here you go.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Argh I was in class/was lazy.

Penguinator likes this.
  16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I gather that the point of this thread is that LZT wants a Modern Warfare movie, right?

This ****** Call of Duty generation, I swear...

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I've read a couple. They're very good.

18. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    No. I just want to see a quadcopter drone in a movie. That the whole reason I created this thread.

[​IMG]

19. A Username

A Username Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

See kids? Sarcasm isn't entirely wasted on the young (at least, I think so).

No, no Black Ops movie for you either. Only after Halo, or Bioshock, or Mass Effect.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. Mostly.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    People who watch and/or like FPSRussia are the lowest kind of people.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  22. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I all seriousness I think the bone of the Call of Duty stories being turned into movies could be interesting.

Such as if you were to very, very, loosely adapt BO2 it could make for an interesting movie. Having America's drone fleet turned against her. Not knowing the enemy and having a Spec Ops team (of course with quadcopters :p) having to trace, hunted down, and kill the unknown enemy.

And with the upcoming game Ghosts, America is decimated and the sons of a Spec Ops operative try to take back their country (at least that is what I got out of the trailers). That could be an interesting concept if done right also.

Lastly, I would like to say that in my whole life I probably only have played 7 hours of CoD.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    No.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  24. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I actually type in "Military Quadcopter Drone" and that is the first image. I have never heard of FPS Russia till you just mentioned it.

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Yeah, just as I thought. /thread.

26. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Why. Because its a video game and therefore a lower of art, you don't like original ideas for movies, its a CoD plot, or you don't like whatever I say.

Hey, don't get me wrong CoD is the last franchise I would like to Hollywood to adapt from gaming. What I am saying is those are interesting concepts never done in a movie.