main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Why don't we see more military based films?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't think video games are a "lower form of art." However the plots and plot devices in the CoD games are stupid at best.

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Shutupshutupshutup.

Volderon, CT-867-5309 and Zapdos like this.
  3. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Well, I guess I am just tired of WWII movies. I seen Normandy a bunch of times on film and almost went there in real life once. I would rather them move on to original concepts.

Also, just as a friendly question why don't you like the plot and stuff of BO2. It is very interesting.

4. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Was he really saying video games are a lower form of art? Seems like he was offering that as one of Vivec's potential reasons (before Vivec reassured that this was not the case, of course).

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I believe many, MANY movies have been pointed out to you in this thread that cover many and other concepts you may have seen in your average CacaDoody game. Some of them are quite recent and have even earned Oscar nods. You shouldn't dismiss WW2 movies. Many great movies have been done in or around that conflict and many more will still be made simply because it is simply a pivotal moment in modern human history. You should see them first and then let us know what you're missing or want.

6. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    No. Just thought that might be Vivec's opinion.

SO far other than Ender's Generation Kill suggestion its most been WWII in this thread if I am correct.

EDIT: I don't dismiss. I watch most of them and I am tired of seeing the same conflict over and over again.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What the hell is this thread even about anymore? Is it really just Lazy Thread Maker's excuse to take a massive dump on video games?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Just keep in mind that Modern Warfare is basically a hodge-podge of every cool moment from every cool military movie. Not only are quotes from Aliens everywhere, the 1887 shotgun is reloaded the way the T800 reloaded it in Terminator 2, every game has some reference to Black Hawk Down, to the point where a multiplayer map is a recreation of the Bakaara Market where those events actually played out. MW2 has a level called "Wolverines!" which is a reference to Red Dawn, not to mention the entire gulag scene being ripped right out of The Rock. That's ignoring the flares on top of "Whiskey Hotel," which is also from that movie.

There's a level called "Charlie don't surf," Zakhaev's son looks like a cast member from Behind Enemy Lines, the fact that from MW2 onwards you hear "Oscar Mike" and "Foot Mobiles" every twenty seconds is totally inspired by Generation Kill, and all this is ignoring the shout outs to other franchises, games, or books.

Task Force 141 is basically Rainbow (as in, Tom Clancy's), the multiplayer game can't get enough nods to True Lies, there are Star Wars references, Mario references, Portal references, etc etc etc etc.

Does that help with the suggestions?

Also, seriously, watch The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, assuming you will not take them entirely at face value.

Or just watch Aliens and realize that that's the ur-example of badass military crews.

9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I thought I was defending video games??? o_O

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I have no ****ing clue any more. But on the topic of FPSRussia, he's cool and funny, but eh. I mostly think that because he's not actually Russian. If he were, all my complaints would vanish.

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

I don't even know anymore...

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I watch Zero Punctuation regularly. His opinions eerily mirror mine.

13. A Username

A Username Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2013
    A mod really needs to mercy kill this thread.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Movies based on video games have generally not been very good, I'd hate to see one based on some pretty generic shooter. They couldn't get Doom right and that is arguably the ultimate shooter, so the rest should just be avoided IMO.

15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I can't think of one movie based on video games that can be critically considered "good."

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Street Fighter

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [​IMG]

Done. Next request?

A Username, Volderon and Lord Vivec like this.