main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    That's a good point. At the same time, though, I think they could have done a better job paralleling the overall struggle with Luke's personal journey. I thought that the PT did a great job in terms of this by reflecting what was happening to Anakin with the Republic itself. I was also more invested in the Republic storyline and so it really hit me hard, along with Padmé, when it crumbled. The Rebellion conflict just seems too static for me really to invest in and it's a shame because Han and Leia are primarily defined through their ties to the Rebellion which means I tend to find them unengaging.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  2. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Not sure if this is unpopular, but I did NOT like the somber endings of the closing credits to Episodes I & II, Vader's breathing at the end of Episode I, and the triumphant ending of the closing credits to Episode III. It should have been the exact opposite.

3. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I see what you're saying, but the Empire vs Rebellion plot line is the overeaching arc of the original SW in 1977 centered around the various characters. What Lucas did was essentially re-craft the trilogy with ESB/ROTJ and make it a more intimate story more about Luke and his eventual struggle/redemption with Vader. That is why I always say that the Original Trilogy works best as ANH as the standalone macro movie, and ESB/ROTJ as a 2 part micro ending.

The PT doesn't know if it wants to be more macro or micro? Lucas juggles the Galaxy falling apart macro story with Anakin's downfall micro story, and that is where you find some fans liking one more then the other. I prefer the more macro story of the PT (which was well-executed), because I don't think the Anakin micro story is executed very well.

I hope that makes sense. :)

4. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I love both the macro and micro story of the PT, and think that neither one was executed very well

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I have to agree with Carbon1985 on this one: the lack of cohesion in the Rebellion storyline is because Lucas changed his mind on the focus of the OT when he invented Father Vader.

6. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    The prequels should never have been made in the first place.

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  7. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    How Do I Dislike a comment?

8. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    That's an unpopular sentiment in these forums, but I wouldn't say it's unpopular in general. I am curious why people think this, however. This, as distinct from just thinking the prequels were poorly made.

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This thread is supposed to be a place for people to state their opinions without getting bashed for them. I know the rule's been a little shaky in practice, but that's over the line.

Darth_Nub and Darth_Articulate like this.
  10. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Easy:
    Step 1- Unplug your computer from all wires and cords.
    Step 2- Pick up your computer and bring it to the highest spot you know of.
    Step 3- Drop the computer.
    Step 4- Repeat this process with every electronic device you own.
    Mod edit: No personal attacks, please

11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Couldn't agree more. Let's not have this thread degenerate into a flame war.

12. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    There's an argument to be made that sometimes backstory should just be left as that - something to reinforce the main storyline and give an impression of 'deep time'. Fleshing it out as actual storylines can cause disappointment, strip away some of the mystery, and such storylines can suffer due to not having a solid backstory of their own. The Silmarillion is a good example of this, much as I like it.

I'm not saying that is necessarily the case with the PT, but I can't really fault someone who genuinely wishes it had simply been left to the imagination.

13. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    All very good points. I just think that on paper, the story of a noble knight who turned evil is not only fertile dramatic grounds for a prelude, but also for a story in it's own right. And I always wonder if the same people who say this would feel differently if they found the films themselves to be well made.

14. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Absolutely, and I think it was GL's decision to merge Darth Vader with Father Skywalker which caused him to regard the backstory as something more - he changed the episode numbering immediately, for a start. His original backstory might have been worth a one-off film, as was once planned, but the new twist injected even more potential drama into the story.

Personally, I don't think the PT should never have been made - it wasn't perfect, but I did enjoy it overall, particularly ROTS - but I can see why many do, and understand why, to a certain extent. Everyone's entitled to his or her opinion.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  15. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    A few more "unpopular opinions":
    - AOTC is the most underrated SW film among fans
    - TPM is the most underrated SW film in general
    - ANH tends to be underrated among fans
    - TESB is overrated among fans
    - Lucas is a good director and decent writer
    - The PT is the SW version of THX 1138 (cool, clean, abtract, unusual) while the OT is the SW version of American Graffiti (warm, easily relatable, fun)
    - AOTC is Lucas' best directorial work on SW
    - The Anakin/Padmé romance (and their fate in general) is moving
    - Leia is the worst main character
    - Jar Jar Binks is more acceptable than the Ewoks (because he only contributes to the story, he doesn't determine the result) although I don't mind them either
    - the acting is more or less equal in all the films
    - Pernilla August's performance is extremely underrated
    - Yoda's lines in TESB are a lot more powerful with the events of the PT in mind
    - I don't care for bounty hunters

16. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    This kills me. I've always felt that AOTC is criminally underrated. It's a really beautiful film and packed to the gills with symbolism, even if one hates the plot and characters.

Yep. And I say that with ANH as my least favorite of the films. I still love it, but it is by far the most simplistic of the films, which is why I don't find it engaging (to the same extent, at least) as the others. But I still think it's underrated and that Lucas' contributions are too often dismissed.

In general, I find I can take or leave "rule of cool" elements in the films -- bounty hunters are a prime example of that. Never understood the obsession with them. In fact, the obsession with Boba Fett always struck me as basically equatable to the obsession with Edward Cullen from Twilight: it's an ideal that's enjoyed primarily for its looks and wish fulfillment. Neither one of them are complex characters.

17. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Most people you call, "bashers," will often say they want the PT remade. One of the many topics I've seen here and elsewhere when Disney bought Lucasfilm was whether or not Disney would remake the PT. I'm steadfast against that for many reasons. One of them being that it'd create yet another divide in the fandom. This made me think of how much healthier SW was before the SEs/PT. The fans were more or less united and there was a much fuller output of SW merch. It's telling that the new Rebels series Promo had to include the line, "the Jedi will rise," thereby slapping common sense in the face because they think a SW show can't be popular without lightsabers.

No PT means no SE since there'd be no need for Lucas to test the waters for new FX in a new trilogy. No SEs means no need to tamper with classic films which means in turn that they'll be left alone. This in turn leaves no hurt feelings from the OOT being suppressed by GL and no flame wars between purists and Lucas fanboys to say nothing of bashers and gushers . . . Because such distinctions wouldn't exist.

In the end, we'd have three classic, untainted films and a wide variety of SW media in which the Jedi and the Force were just one aspect of MANY in the universe.

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  18. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    If this had happened, I would not be a Star Wars fan. At least not for more than a year or two. I came because of the OT. I stayed because of the PT!!

Also, WHERE is this promo for Rebels?

And also, without lightsabers and/or the Force, the SW universe is really not much different from any other of the numerous Sci-fi you see elsewhere. Those two things alone puts Star Wars in its OWN category. (that may be my "unpopular" opinion ;) )

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    As someone who well remembers the era in the 1990s before the SE's & the PT were released (and the First Era in the 1970s/1980s), I get where you're coming from - but that era only really came into being after the beast was re-awakened with the official confirmation in 1993 of the fabled Prequel Trilogy finally getting made.
    After the 1980s mania had died down, from about 1987 until 1991, SW merchandise & output was little more than posters, badges & T-shirts being sold through the LFL fanclub, plus the West End Games roleplaying game. Star Wars was dead.

Although Heir to the Empire (1991) & Dark Empire (1992) pre-date the official 1993 announcement of the PT in Variety, their very existence was based upon testing the waters to see if it was worth launching SW again.

You can't really have it both ways. Without any plans to make the PT, the Star Wars juggernaut wouldn't have been started up again in the same way. Maybe a couple of comic series, some novels - but nothing like what did happen.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Vthuil like this.
  20. Darth_Monkey_Boy

Darth_Monkey_Boy Jedi Knight

Oct 11, 2008
    Have to say, I agree with Darth Nub. When I was a kid (and even now as a 35-year-old man), the first thing I'd do is run to the toy section of a department store to look at the "Star Wars" toys. (Mostly because when my Mother left my Father, I was FORCED to leave ALL of my toys behind... and A LOT of them were "Star Wars" vehicles & action figures including The Millennium Falcon, The Rancor, and my favorite, an AT-AT.) By the early 90's, there really wasn't a section for that merchandise anymore. Wasn't until around '97 that they started popping up again with the release of the SE. Now, the "Star Wars" section is LOADED! Whether you think the prequels are great or not, you can't deny that they revived the franchise. Without them, would we be getting Ep. VII? I don't think so. Be careful what you wish for people!

My unpopular opinion? I think the relationship between Anakin & Padme was PERFECT! I've given my explanation elsewhere in these forums, but I'll touch on it a wee bit here. Anakin and Padme are co-dependents. Their behavior is too close to how co-dependents act for it to be "poor writing" on Lucas' part. The way Anakin vents his frustrations to Padme is EXACTLY how a co-dependent does. The way he blames himself for his Mother's death is the way a co-dependent do. The way he attaches himself to people is the way a co-depe- well you get it by now. Padme is the same, just the other side of the coin. She also creates strong attachments with others. She accepts responsibility for the actions of others. She believes that her feelings will change another's heart/mind. She allows herself to die because her attachment to Anakin is stronger than her attachment to her own children BECAUSE co-dependents form stronger bonds with their mate than to their own children. Their relationship is another mirror of the OT; where Han & Leia had formed a healthy relationship, Anakin and Padme formed an unhealthy one.

21. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Consistently.

22. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm not tired of "of the" titles

23. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Seriously aside from Jango Fett everyone else are pretty bland and boring

Dasan and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Jar Jar is cool and lame at the same time

Darth Eddie and SerRoel like this.
  25. Hello_Fett

Hello_Fett Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2013
    This makes me sad... I love Boba Fett and hate that you would compare him to anything in Twilight. Fangirls obsess over Cullen because he is a main character and is a sparkly vampire. Boba is not a main character so the fact that people like him is based on more than just the look of the character or the amount of screen time...

But to back you up at the same time:
    [​IMG]