main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Approaching Storm - worth reading?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheNewEmpire, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I'm a big fan of Splinter of the mind's eye but I've been hugely disappointed with most prequel era books I've read. Does the book stand on its own, does it add anything to the characters overall? I could see why this book would have been exciting to read as a lead in to AOTC but does it still stand up?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I enjoyed it- but I can see why others found it a bit of a drag.

Garrett Atkins and Gorefiend like this.
  3. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I started reading The Approaching Storm 10 years ago...still have yet to finish. I found it to be pretty boring overall.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I'll second Iron Lord it only works for certain people, I can see why most will not like it, but I also enjoyed it.

5. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I third him, enjoyable, but not a lot of action.

6. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    It has some good things, but i would recommend some of the other novels from that time period. Cloak of Deception was better, especially with political intrigue, and Rogue Planet was good. Didn't Approaching Storm have Obi Wan and Anakin singing or dancing or something like that?? That was kind of fun.

7. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    "I'll try singing, that's a good trick!"

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No, it's dreadful and it's not even a real lead in to AOTC. I advise against reading it.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There were some musings on Anakin feeling that Obi-Wan was hypercritical/didn't like him that much; Anakin feeling insecure. I found that interesting.

But the other 90 percent of the book was a very long trek through the desert.

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Wasn't it a Savanna? :-B

11. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    To the OP: empathetically nope.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    One of those biomes with really long, boring stretches.

It's been awhile since I read it.

13. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Read the scenes with Shu Mai and the Separatists. They're kinda cool. Skip the trek through the savanna, though.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked the banquet entertainment scene particularly- we get to see what carefully controlled telekinesis can do.

15. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Please don't put yourself through that torture. it is one of the worst star wars books i have ever read, the other's being children of the jedi and planet of twilight. I read it years ago in high school for Sci-fi Fantasy literature class.

16. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007

I read those books too. Awful, simply awful. [face_worried]

17. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    what

18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    So, like 80% of the book?

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    90 percent, Jack.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    "Kinda" here meaning "boring yet practical/insightful". Really, the politicians in this book made the senators of the NJO look like smart and reasonable people in comparison.

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Ah the Hutt ins this book at least was a perfectly reasonable fellow ;)

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Thing is, I read this so long ago (like, two years ago man) that I can't remember a thing he did in it. I did remember him, though.

And besides, with an exception or two Hutts aren't politicians, they're influencers/connivers.

23. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    SAVE YOURSELF DON'T READ SAVE YOURSELF DON'T READ SAVE YOURSELF DON'T READ SAVE YOURSELF DON'T READ SAVE YOURSELF DON'T READ
    SAVE YOURSELF DON'T READ SAVE YOURSELF DON'T READ SAVE YOURSELF DON'T READ SAVE YOURSELF DON'T READ SAVE YOURSELF DON'T READ

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

The line seems wobbly, as Hutts are often also local politicians, if not de jure, de facto.

25. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Please rephrase your question into an actual sentence, so that i may understand what it is that you are asking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.