main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should there be nebulas, black holes, planets with different gravity/atmospheres, etc.?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope there's nebulous plot holes.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  3. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I think there should be gas! Lots and lots of gas! And patrons should be presented with gas masks prior to entering the theater because there will be lots of gas! And in the concession stand they should provide stuffed borritos for consumption so the patrons can create more gas if needed. [face_sick]

4. crescenstar

crescenstar Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2013
    i want to see an amazing space battle in the Kuat Shipyard! i want to see destruction and the kuati shipyard being teared down!

[​IMG]

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  5. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    id like to see corellia , Mon Calamari and korriban

6. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I want to see a "Champagne Super Nova."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Really? Bringing reality into this discussion? No human being on the planet has ever seen a view like this with the naked eye either:

[​IMG]

8. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I kinda got the impression that that's what the rebels did after Hoth.
    I think this would be a bad idea because it conflicts too much with the universe that has already been established. Our heroes have been on planets and moons of all sizes, in asteroid fields, in an asteroid, on a city in the clouds, on ships in interstellar space, in a space station the size of a small moon and on ships parked outside the galaxy. Not once has there been any noticeable variance of gravity (nor has there ever been some ham-handed attempt at an explanation). If all of sudden they change that, it would be a radical departure from the universe as has already been established - which would be bad. I can only imagine how badly this forum would overload from all the people saying "there's gravity in the asteroid in E5, why isn't there any gravity at XYZ in E7..?!?!?"

Viewers can accept any "rules" in a universe so long as they are consistent. Suddenly bringing gravity issues into the Star Wars Galaxy would be a huge inconsistency.

9. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    In V the Falcon extended its artificial gravity field onto the area around it or something. It's no biggie.

10. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Bro I said that like MONTHS ago. I think half the thread called me out on it...

11. The battle of MAW station

The battle of MAW station Jedi Master star 1

Sep 24, 2013
    I have it on good authority that a black hole will be adapted from the EU 'Chronology' series of graphic novels from way back in the 1990's for Episode seven. It will include the Death Star prototype, the Sun Crusher, and the rest of the emperors other superweapons that he had hidden near the black hole. Aditional superweapons not from this EU segment will include the emperor's personal eclipse class star destroyer. The really big one! Expect IG 88 and his starship to play a role in this seting.

12. The battle of MAW station

The battle of MAW station Jedi Master star 1

Sep 24, 2013
    The eclipse class star destroyer interests me the most. Throughout the Star Wars saga, the 'little fish, big fish, and bigger fish' formula is adhered to. First you had the imperial class star destroyer, and then the larger Executer super star destroyer. It stands to reason that the ST will continue this formula with the even larger eclipse class star destroyer.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I wanna see a zero G lightsaber fight in a Star Wars movie before I die.

15. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    I have been thinking some more about planetary settings (and ship designs.) Correct me if I am wrong but one thing that I don't believe we have ever seen in any science fiction film is a planetary culture whose aesthetics are influenced by Celtic art. I feel that a futuristic city (and starships) that incorporate elements of Celtic design (flowing organic lines, unending knots, triads and the like) could work really well, particularly given that one of the early rumours was that they were scouting for locations in Ireland.

A "space Celt" culture would also give the third trilogy another unique look to distinguish itself from the Art Deco and Italianesque designs of the prequels and the squared, utilitarian designs and practicality of the OT.

Also, one motif throughout the series thus far has been that the "good guys" tend to live in harmony with nature and favour organic places (Naboo with its meadows and wateralls, the curves of the Mon Calamari ships, the all-too-brief glimpse of the Alpine world of Alderaan) whilst the "bad guys" live more removed from nature (the sterile Death Star sets, the fact that Vader's dehumanisation is symbolised by becoming "more machine than man" and so on.) Even if we cut out the New Age clap-trap, it is generally recognised that a lot of emphasis of both Celtic Pagan and, later, Celtic Christian beliefs focused on harmony with nature, with rivers being seen as especially spiritual places, druids holding oak groves to be sacred, Saint Patrick using the three leaf clover to teach about the Holy Trinity and so on. Hence, a Celtic city that integrates the futuristic and the natural in an organic way (maybe with rivers flowing through it) in a world on the side of the Jedi/good guys would further develop this motif.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this idea.

darklordoftech and Sarge like this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Here's your Celt. Trinity College Library in Dublin. I visit often. Kamino is not in their system.
    [​IMG]
    So, it doesn't exist.

17. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    LOL.

Well, I just Googled "Celtic spaceship" to see if any budding SF artist out there had been inspired by that aesthetic, and this was all that came up for me:

[​IMG]

:p

Seriously though, I am no artist but I can partially visualise in my mind futuristic cities adorned this these kinds of patterns on their interior and exterior walls and them somehow integrated into the flowing shapes of spaceships. The challenges I imagine would be to not make it too obviously "Irish" but add a spin to it and also to not make it seem too influenced by Lord of the Rings but take it in another direction:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Karen Traviss's Mandalorians were heavily influenced by Celtic culture in the basic design.

And Shysa, a Mandalorian from Marvel Comics as well as some of the Traviss stories, tends to speak in a style commonly associated with Ireland.

Maybe take this theme and run with it for the ST? Without introducing any of the other, more controversial Traviss themes?

19. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Okay, I am not familiar with the EU at all (apart from the old Marvel comics which I read as a kid.) I just looked up Traviss and found this: http://www.askajedi.com/2011/05/11/the-mandalorian-mistake/

Interesting. I can see where that would be controversial with some fans but her subversive take on the SW universe and the role of the Jedi sounds interesting to me. That and the Celtic part sound intriguing to me.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Main issue would be that Disney's not too fond of controversy in general. I could see them putting some shading into the Jedi, and their morality- but not all that much.

21. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i wonder if sir richard is buried down there. oh wait that's in italy.

22. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    I'm all for there being nebulas in the sequel trilogy. Outer space scenes in the earlier movies made everything two dimensional. I thought it was a big mistake that they didn't put any in the prequels- or just barely. I'd love to see different intergalactic back drops. And hopefully J.J. will jazz up the outer space setting. Another thing is that I want the new planets to be truly alien and exotic. We got a little of that in Ep.5. Black holes, nebulae, different stars is more than welcome, and long over do. Why hold back on imagery?

23. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    Starfield was boring. The only reason nebulas weren't in the OT is because ILM found it hard to pull off. I'm all for nebulas, etc. in the new trilogy. Just endless tiny white dots for stars is bland and dull.

24. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    "Granted. But there's just something about that vacuous field of stars that serves so perfectly well as the backdrop for Star Wars. Leave the visible nebulae in Star Trek. And in Star Wars video games, that's okay too."

That vacuous field of stars demonstrates the lack of imagination. I'm all for nebulae. Why should nebulae be tied exclusively to Star Trek? I've seen other movies, science fiction and fantasy, that had nebulae- and not once did I think I was watching a Star Trek movie.

25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yes to all of these. i want aquilae.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.