main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Darth Plagueis Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 3, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Whatever the case, no Death Star was going to blow up with Sith on board. Vader and Palpatine are no Tarkins.

Vialco likes this.
  2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Who else besides Luceno has characterized it?

Apparently you can. That's just the kind of thing notable Sith would tend to aspire to anyway.

After all, one of them dreamed of killing it.

"Force = everything" is no less an EU invention than unbalancing the Force as ritual, and arguably it may tend to undermine certain sections of film dialogue. What we were told in ANH and TESB was a somewhat different story: that the Force is an energy field created/generated by living things, as opposed to being treated as identical to the things generating it; it surrounds us and penetrates us, while it is not said to be us. And as an energy field which permeates the whole galaxy it is indeed "out there" and "right here" at the same time, wherever in the galaxy "right here" happens to be.

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah I'm not really interested in wasting my time.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    So the Expanded Universe wasn't really that paradoxical about it after all?

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    No, I'm just not interested in attempting a discussion with a brick wall.

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Then don't post in response at all.

7. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Looked like he had valid counterpoints to me.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Which can only prove my point that the Force is depicted paradoxically. Apocalypse also deals with balance and says it was never restored.

Ultimately you're picking and choosing among the contradictory EU accounts what you want to choose to believe, and it's not worth arguing about.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    You said what constitutes unbalancing the Force is depicted paradoxically in the EU, but I don't know of any other EU characterizations of what constitutes unbalancing the Force other than Luceno's.

It is true that different authors often seem to have different ideas about the Force.

In that case there seems to be a contradiction between the source and Lucas, for whatever that's worth - unless of course Lucas changed his mind and it's all a setup for the ST which takes the same retcon approach.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    "Since the fall of Darth Bane more than a millennium ago, there have been hundreds of thousands of Jedi -- hundreds of thousands of Jedi feeding the light with each work of their hands, with each breath, with every beat of their hearts, bringing justice, building civil society, radiating peace, acting out of selfless love for all living things -- and in all these thousand years, there have been only two Sith at any time. Only two. Jedi create light, but the Sith do not create darkness. They merely use the darkness that is always there. That has always been there. Greed and jealousy, aggression and lust and fear -- these are all natural to sentient beings. The legacy of the jungle. Our inheritance from the dark."

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't see anything there about unbalancing the Force, and I'm also wondering how the hell Mace knows about Darth Bane. He read a sourcebook.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I suppose I'll just take Ulicus' advice at this point.

Edit: Although to answer your question about Bane, it's likely because the EU completely ignored the Lucas backstory for Bane:

Yes, Bane did die over a millennium ago because he was part of the fifty plus Jedi Knights that formed the Sith with the guy that became Darth Ruin. And he emerged to fight the Jedi after all the others died out so the Jedi could know about the Rule of Two.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't think so.

When it was believed all of the Sith were destroyed, he emerged from his concealment.

A thousand years had passed since the Sith were believed destroyed, and the time they had waited for had come at last.

Bane's apprentice may have been changed to a female, but other than that the latter portion of the quoted text is more or less consistent with the later EU.

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    So did Bane live for nearly a thousand years?

"The Sith had come into being almost two thousand years ago."

"Others were recruited, and soon the ranks of the Sith swelled to more than fifty in number."

"They destroyed their leader first, then each other. What few survived the initial bloodbath were quickly dispatched by watchful Jedi. In a matter of only weeks, all of them died. All but one."

"The Sith who reinvented the order called himself Darth Bane."

Nope, it ignored the fact that Bane was one of Darth Ruin's original group -- which destroyed itself within weeks of Ruin leaving the Jedi Order, leaving Bane its sole survivor, "almost two thousand years" before Episode I.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    He did not emerge to fight the Jedi in an overt sense. That would wait until later, as the passage indicates: the time they had waited for had come at last.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    So you're saying that the Rule of Two had already existed for 1000 years when the Sith seemingly went extinct? That's such a cool idea!
    The Rule of Two makes perfect sense that way!

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The Jedi knew that the Sith were still around in Bane's lifetime. "A thousand years had passed since the Sith were believed destroyed."

Even after Bane was the last Sith, the Jedi knew about him, because they didn't believe the Sith were extinct "almost two thousand years ago," but only "a thousand years" ago.

So when it says he "emerged," how am I supposed to interpret it, knowing that the Jedi knew the Sith were still around for centuries after Bane's lifetime, unless Bane's lifetime lasted all those centuries? And even if it did last those centuries, the Jedi still knew about him, because they didn't believe the Sith destroyed until "a thousand years" ago, rather than "almost two thousand years ago."

The Phantom Menace novelization is straightforward with its story; the EU messed it up.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    That's why my statement referred specifically to "the latter portion" of the quoted text. You've identified a problem with the earlier part, and unsurprisingly this issue has come up before. Given that the text in question, taken as a whole, seems to imply that Bane lived for 1000 years, it doesn't seem too unfortunate that later works attempted to clean this up a bit.

Actually, a significant time gap can be inserted between "as with the Jedi" and "In the end". The "leader" referred to after that break doesn't actually have to be Ruin, though for all I know the author may have intended it to be Ruin.

"When it was believed all of the Sith were destroyed, he emerged from his concealment." He hid out from the other Sith until they were all dead. It's not about the Jedi.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    There's no reason for the text to make the distinction of "weeks" if it's time jumping. The EU dun goofed. Wasn't the first time, nor the last. The novelization is straightforward with the story, and explains the "plot hole" of how the Jedi knew about the Rule of Two. The EU in its zeal for retcons tried to tie Bane in with the Valley of the Jedi, and their retcon completely distorted the original story -- not to mention completely ignored the reason why the Rule of Two exists.

This is why Lucas steps on the EU. And that's your answer for how Mace Windu knows about Darth Bane.

Sable_Hart and darklordoftech like this.
  20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    We simply appear to differ on what that statement means.

The period of weeks, in that interpretation, is after the time jump.

There's a lot of goofing to go around.

Unfortunately there was no such plot hole until it was created by the EU. The plot hole does not exist in TPM taken by itself, since there is nothing in the film to prevent the Sith from having had the "rule" prior to their supposed disappearance.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    They should make movies about all this Sith history.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    ...that completely disregard all this codswallop.

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The Rule of Two existing for thousands of years before the "extinction" of the Sith makes perfect sense and could make for interesting stories. Perhaps when Windu arrested Palpatine, he was doing what the Jedi had always done when they identified a Sith Lord.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Did anyone else enjoy the fact that this book laid the smackdown on midichlorian blood transfusions?

[​IMG]

25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007