main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Favorite conversation of the saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darth_mccartney, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Conversation between the Sandpeople when they spot Luke's speeder in ANH...

Seriously, there are many. Really hard to choose.

OT :
    - Luke, Han and Ben in the Falcon, from the moment they come out of lightspeed till they are sucked by the Death Star, in ANH. Like the tension of that scene.
    - Vader and Luke conversation on Endor before flying to the Death Star in ROTJ. Very moving scene.

PT :
    - Palpatine and the Queen before addressing the Senate in TPM ("There is no civility, only politics..."). Great dialog and Palpatine's manipulations at its best.
    - Obi-Wan and Anakin conversation after the later has been denied the rank of master in ROTS ("That's why you must help us..."). Awesome scene with good tension.

2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Like others have said, there are so many, so just some off the top of my head...

TPM:
    - Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's conversation as they are introduced at the start of the movie. Good dialogue, and Yoda will later (in episode 5) echo Qui-Gon's instructions to focus on the moment.
    - Sidious' first hologram meeting with the TF. Great introduction to The Emperor, when he still had to be behind the scenes scheming.
    - The dinner conversation at Anakin's house. Particularly Qui-Gon and Anakin discussing if Qui-Gon is a Jedi.
    - Anakin and Shmi's farewell, and the scene transition to Maul foreshadowing that Anakin will one day replace him.
    - Anakin giving the Japor snippet to Padme.
    - Palpatine and Amidala discussing the Senate and their plight. Some insight into Palpatine's character, and the corruption in the Republic that he is taking advantage of.
    - Not a popular one it seems, but I like Qui-Gon and Anakin discussion midi-chlorians. That whole scene in general shows what a great mentor Qui-Gon could have been for Anakin, and IMO adds to our understanding of the force when combined with other Qui-Gon lines, and Obi's teachings in ANH.
    - "Always two there are, no more, no less. A Master and an apprentice." "But which was destroyed, the Master, or the apprentice?"

AOTC:
    - The "Dreams pass in time" scene.
    - "So you might say... we are encouraged to love". This scene has Anakin as more likeable than much of the movie IMO.
    - Not really a conversation, but Anakin's scene with Shmi in which she dies is quite moving.

ROTS:
    This is probably my fave besides ESB so I can't really list them all. But anyway...
    - "Master. General Grievous's ship is directly ahead." I find it touching he still calls Obi-Wan master. And later... "Well have you noticed the shields are still up?!?" I'm sorry Master!"
    - The whole scene with one of the best lines "Chancellor Palpatine, Sith Lords are our speciality."
    - "I say patience." Obi-Wan will echo this when defending Luke in ESB; "He will learn patience."
    - Anakin and Padme re-united in her first scene in the film. Anakin's hesitation and the audience not knowing how Anakin is going to take the news that she is pregnant was a nice touch.
    - Anakin and Padme discussing Anakin's first dream. With the music it really gets to me.
    - The extended version of the scene where Palpatine tells Anakin he will represent Palpatine on the Council. They really shouldn't have cut this out. "My time will come when I am older, and I suppose... wiser."
    - Of course, the opera scene, for many reasons. Palpatine's convincingly innocent "They asked you to do something that made you feel dishonest, didn't they?" lol. And the way the music starts as he begins the "Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise."
    - Mace being trumped by Palpatine (after giving instructions to relay the info to Palpatine) when Palpatine simply comments "We can only hope that Master Kemnobi is up to the challenge." The scene is good generally. "I know there are things about the force they are not telling me." ...and... "Are you going to kill me?" "I would certainly like to!"
    -The turn scene. The set-up from Anakin's point of view as he walks in on Mace at Palpatine's throat. The music, and thunder, and the argument (for lack of a better word) really build up to the climax, as Anakin's confusion and desperation quickly turn to panic. I love pretty much the whole scene from Anakin entering the office to the end of Sidious' instructions after knighting him. Anakin turning off his saber in surprise at Sidious' sudden burst of lightning is meaningful. I think there is something occult going on during the knighting as Anakin sells his soul. It didn't work for some, but I also note some signficance in the moment Anakin looks down in regret as Sidious claims "If they are not all destroyed it will be civil war without end", which then turns to steadfast determination as he accepts what he has to do. I think at this point Anakin feels he has passed the point of no return, and Sidious is of course capitilising on this.
    - "Have faith my love." That just sounds nicely dark. [face_devil] The scene is quite sad, I think as Padme's life-force wanes (as some people have said it does as Anakin is consumed) she becomes more naive, and wants to believe Anakin enough, that she does here. Anakin is of course justifying it to both himself and Padme (it said that in the commentary as well).
    - Vader in hologram meeting with The Emperor. "All droid units must shut down immediately." "Very good, My Lord." This moment is interrupted by Padme arriving on Mustafar, very symbolic of Anakin's connection to his old life.
    - Padme's attempts to reach Anakin being interrupted by Obi-Wan's appearance on Mustafar. I still think Obi-Wan should share some responsibility for the bad timing of his exit from the ship. He could have told Anakin he sneaked aboard, after all. It's a tragic scene, I think the contrast in Vader to Anakin here is quite underrated. You can really feel that he has slid, for example, laughing at Padme's naivety when she suggests Obi-Wan's help, where he was very serious about this suggestion earlier. Hard to explain, but "We don't need his help" where Anakin is too proud to ask for it becomes a reaction like it is more of a joke. And in an inversion of ROTJ, Anakin's quest for power because of love has turned into just a quest for power. In the OT, of course, Vader wanting Luke for power becomes about his love for Luke.

ANH:
    This film is a nice pick-me-up after the depression of ROTS.
    - "What makes you think there are settlements over there?" "Beeping" "Don't get technical with me." This and Threepio's later comment "He tricked me into going this way." lol
    - Luke seeing part of Leia's message and R2 outsmarting him. "What message? The one you've just been playing!"
    - "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
    - The two stormtroopers discussing something when Obi-Wan is deactivating the tractor beam.
    - Obi-Wan confronting Vader. Both works on it's own and holds more significance after Ep3. "The circle is now complete."
    -"Still, she's got a lot of spirit. I dunno, do you think a princess and a guy like me could..." "No." Classic exchange.

ESB:
    - "Then I'll see you in hell!" Love the attitude that is lacking in some of the other eps.
    - "Right now I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself." "I know what you mean."
    - "That's it! The Rebels are there." Vader knowing this is just cool.
    - A lot of the dialogue between Han, Leia and 3PO. "The possibilities of surviving a..." "Shut up!"
    - Han and Leia's kiss.
    - "Perhaps you think you are being treated unfairly?"... "This deal is getting is worse all the time!"
    - "The force is with you, young Skywalker. But you are not a Jedi yet!"
    - And of course... "Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father." The whole scene.
    - Not a conversation, but the ending.

ROTJ:
    - Yoda and Luke's last conversation, and Obi-Wan discussing Anakin with Luke, tie the movies together quite nicely.
    - "I'm endangering the mission, I shouldn't have come." (I probably don't need to add this is Luke and Vader sensing each other).
    - Luke turning himself over to Vader. Great dialogue in the scene generally. I like the tension when Vader activates Luke's saber.
    - Every exchange between Luke and The Emperor.
    - Vader's taunting as it is revealed to him Luke has a twin sister, and Luke being driven over the edge.
    - Anakin redeemed, unmasked, and the movie's inversion of the immolation in ROTS, with Anakin being cremated after re-uniting with Luke.

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Night at the opera house. McDiarmid's Palpatine is dead on here, expressing a perfect measure of eerie knowledge/intent while simultaneously coming across in a warm enough manner to make me understand why Anakin totally believes in the friendship.

4. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Just wanted to add one in ep3 I forgot.

Anakin and Obi-Wan's farewell before Obi-Wan leaves for Uta-pau. It's the last time they speak as friends. It's a little corny, but hits the right notes for me. Also, Anakin's concerned look mirrors Han's expression when Luke and Han say farewell (in few words, but it is obvious what it means to them) on Hoth. A perhaps unintended irony is that while the Obi/Ani farewell is the last time they speak before Anakin is a Sith, Luke and Han's goodbye is the last time they meet before Luke is a Jedi. (Well, he technically isn't a Jedi until he throws away the saber in defiance of the Emperor, but they don't meet until the next movie in the trilogy anyway).

5. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Mine would have to be when 3PO tells R2 off in ANH for not showing Luke the message of Leia.

When R2 beeps "Do you like me" and 3PO snaps back "No I don't like you either" for some reason always makes me smile....you can't tell me droids don't have feelings when you hear R2s wimper at the end of that exchange.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Really? That was such a boring conversation. Anyway.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That's why its great.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    PT:

Anakin and Obi-Wan in the speeder chasing Zam

Anakin and Padme in the Lars garage after the Tusken slaughter

Anakin and Padme when she told him she was pregnant

Anakin and Obi-Wan just before Obi-Wan leaves for Utapau

OT:

Any conversation that involves Han's lips moving and words coming out

Luke and Vader at the end of ROTJ

9. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    More a phrase than a conversation, but Padmé´s words regarding the senate reaction to Palpatine proclaming himself emperor. Both the words and Portman´s broken voice.

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    My personal favorite is the conversation between Mace Windu and Sidious in ROTS, just before Palps kills Kit, Agen, and Saesse. They both know that this is what the galaxy has been building toward for the last thousand years, and it is the moment where the entire saga shifts.

11. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    So many -- and it really depends what you mean by "conversation", doesn't it?

For two of the lengthier, better-shot, and more moving ones, I'd probably pick...

The meadow scene (AOTC)
    Yoda-Luke (ROTJ)

But I'd be a bad boy not to include Ben and Luke's classic chat in ANH.

And, of course, there's the fantastic "opera" scene in ROTS.

The naturalistic scene between Leia and Han in the Falcon in TESB, where they're looking for some place to run and hide to, ultimately, of course, settling on Bespin, is a little bit underrated, too. The filmmakers clearly took a very understated route to filming this one -- the blue glow on Han's face is a nice touch (and a clear rhyme with the engine lights from Luke's X-Wing briefly illuminating Yoda in the dank dark of Dagobah later on as Luke condemns him to isolation once more; also an allusion to Han's fate in this same installment, perhaps?; may even have been a bit of a subliminal inspiration on the image-scanning scene where Ford's character is giving verbal instructions to his computer in "Blade Runner") -- and it affords the characters a degree of humanity between their prior screwball squabbling and the gloomy distrust they're about to experience at Cloud City. The actors play this one very casually and it makes them seem more like real people, less like abstractions (echoes of the aforementioned meadow scene in AOTC). "Lando Calrissian" is a great introduction for any character, too, since, rather like Dooku, another cape-donning prodigy, we hear about him before we see him, and then we discover this his allegiances are equally slippery. And then there's Peter Suschitzky's fabulous lighting; which lends an appropriately sensual, intimate air. The camera angles are great, too: the camera is brilliantly off at a very oblique angle in forward and reverse shots, which might be the only time a conversation between two actors is depicted this way in the whole saga, then it twists as the Falcon detaches, showing the actors with orthographically correct alignment, albeit with some subtle swaying, bringing us back to the "proper" form of SW. I've slightly put TESB down before, but even a small scene like this proves that that was folly: it's a formidable motion picture.

Hell's bells, I better include the Luke and Ben forest floor conversation in ROTJ, too. How about that? A "ghost" conversation played entirely straight -- but aren't these *all* ghost conversations, really (think about it...)? The sounds of primeval nature really accentuate the mystical vibe of this one; and it's happening just shy of bulky technology (Luke's X-Wing, being worked on by little Artoo). Mark Hamill's face also works well to convey a growing maturity in Luke; he's annoyed at Obi-Wan, for instance, but nonetheless hears Obi-Wan out and clearly takes his whole vocation seriously. I must also say that "Yoda will always be with you" is a neat line and a cool surrogate for Obi-Wan's classic "The Force will be with you, always", from the original film. The Force has become more personified by ROTJ in some ways. The staging of this scene also resonates with the Anakin-Palpatine discussion in ROTS (the aforementioned "opera" scene), yet is visually unique enough to still be its own thing: an impressive display of variety in a saga strict enough to follow a limited (self-imposed) grammar but dexterous enough to allow seemingly limitless deviations and conflagrations. The following conversation scenes between Luke and Leia and Luke and Vader on Endor are also excellent at conveying a solid, serious, almost bleak sensibility. Mark Hamill proves comfortably up to the task of investing Luke with real conviction in these scenes; I think, in large part, it's testament to his acting that they come off as well as they do. There's a Passion-Play-like intensity to his last line of these scenes: "Then my father is truly dead". Here is where the topsy-turvy dramatic import of all preceding hours of this saga reaches a stunning cathexis; watched I-VI, it's very satisfying the way it all plays out.

And hey, now, what about all these other great ones, like the first bit of chat between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in that TF board room (love that tracking shot), the dinner scene (which beautifully finishes on a close-up of Qui-Gon's sad, ponderous face), ... and.... and... you know what, sod it. There are simply too many. I'd be here all evening listing the awesome conversation scenes of the saga. It's a good question, if only because it just made me realize how many important and wonderful discussion scenes there are in this saga, between its generous bouts of more lively spectacle and super action setpieces. For the endless charges of "bad acting", "bad writing", "bad blocking", "bad directing", and whatever else, the saga has a way of coming up trumps, at least half a dozen times or more, in every picture. Subjective as it may all be, I think that says a lot.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  12. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    ACK! .... I said I'd be here all evening if I listed all the conversation scenes .... ACK! I shouldn't double-post, but ....

The Mustafar confrontation scene between Anakin and Padme deserves a mention.

HevyDevy, you've got some interesting thoughts on this:

Obi-Wan definitely goofed up (in my view). Lucas sowed this seed back in TPM:

Obi-Wan (HMM!): You were banished because you were clumsy?

^^ Totally not understanding Jar Jar's predicament or the structuring of Gungan society at that point

Obi-Wan might have been able to reach Anakin, but Anakin "banished" him (Anakin wasn't willing to hear him out; but then, neither was Obi-Wan willing to hear Anakin out) because he got his timing all wrong; and timing, in life, might as well be everything. Further banishment occurs, of course, or has already occurred, at the end of this confrontation, since Obi-Wan must go into hiding and even cast off his old name; the Jedi no longer tolerated, let alone welcome, members of the new political order.

And the desperation coming off Padme in this scene is very poignantly rendered. As is the child-like sense of naive confidence that Anakin exudes. "And you and I can rule the galaxy, make things the way we want them to be..." I've always thought it a nice touch that Lucas has Padme stroking Anakin's hair like that, as if trying to wash out the grime, make it straight. And while she backs away, she DOES almost reach him, in my view, until Obi-Wan makes his presence known at the most critical point in their tenuous tete-a-tete.

And the atmosphere of Mustafar adds a tremendous sense of grim foreboding to the entire confrontation. But that's really gravy: the direction sells it. A remarkable chapter.

13. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    More great observations, Cryo. I don't know where to begin.

Wow, interesting. I definitely agree on the "understated" filming of the scene, and it matches the tone of comments like "With the rest of the garbage". Not much I can add, but I like your mention of the human feel of the moment before we are led to what happens to the protagonists on Bespin.

Yeah, Mark Hammil is great in ROTJ. While ESB is my fave incarnation of the character I find that this is largely due to where it takes him in ep6. "A certain point of view?" is a small example of an effective delivery. I also like that Luke is questioning Obi-Wan's opinion that he must kill Vader, somewhere that Luke will perhaps surpass Obi-Wan in defiance of the Emperor at the end of the film. Although, the subject seems to disolve without resolution, they begin to talk about the other Skywalker. It seems that neither of them sways the other.

Excellent point.

That initial confrontation with Vader is one of the highlights of the saga for me. Even behind the mask you can see Luke words reach him, while at the same time, there is little visible change in his actions yet. A "fast" turn in Anakin and Vader occurs at the end of each trilogy, afterall.

Underrated introduction to the Jedi IMO. Qui-Gon of course echoes Yoda here, or vice versa.

Great scene, I didn't care much for the cheesiness of it in '99 but Shmi is easily one of my favourite characters now. I would even go as far as saying Qui-Gon and Shmi's scenes are some of the better written in the saga.

That's why we are here. :)

Heh, there are also comments like "Master we are short on time" when Jar Jar's life is on the line.

Love this transitional point from Anakin closer to Vader.

Great point, and I've also noticed he doesn't yet seem cold to her touch. I think it was at least partially reaching him at this point, however on hearing of her death he becomes numb I think.

Great scene, on par with the OT IMO.

14. PTRULES

PTRULES Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2013
    Awesome analysis! Are you a writer, because you write some interesting assertions here! Thank god there are still fans who appreciate the PT, as the OT is SOOO overrated!

15. Yondo Kuromu

Yondo Kuromu Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 18, 2013
    [the Millennium Falcon, under siege, won't start]
    Princess Leia: [sarcastic] Would it help if I got out and pushed?
    Han Solo: [also sarcastic] It might!

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Starwars_1977-2005

Starwars_1977-2005 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    PT :

-Palpatine and Anakin at the Opera. Great acting, directing, rythm, etc. One of the best scènes with Satan trying to seduce his victim in movie history. And there have been many. Ian delivers.
    Good job.

OT :

Any scene with Han Solo. Harrison is incredible, especially in ANH and ESB. In ROTJ he's less convincing.

-I'm especially fond of his scènes with Leia, Chewie and C3PO from the moment they leave Hoth to their landing on Cloud City.
    It's some of the best adventure movie dialogs ever, up there with Indiana Jones. Impossible to pick just a few lines : every single word spoken by the three fugitives is great and hits the mark. Classic. Both light hearted and touching, funny and tense.
    You never get bored of these scènes. Typically the kind of dialogs the PT lacks.

-Great great scene with Vader and Luke on Endor. Few words. Vader doubts. Well directed.

-The following scènes with the Emperor are perfect. Sidious speaks and behaves like a true witch. 'Your pitiful little band ..." Aaahhh. I can imagine him giving Snowhite the poisoned red apple. THE sf/fantasy vilain.

Alienware likes this.
  17. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Obi-Wan's visit at Padme's apartment. Great score underneath the entire sequence. Solid lines, great delivery. McGregor is top notch in this scene, and Portman is really doing a lot of acting with her eyes. You can really see that she finally knows that Anakin has turned, but she is completely helpless to do anything. Kenobi's last line, "Anakin is the father, isn't he. I'm so sorry." May be the most poignant line in the whole Saga.

Yancy

Seagoat likes this.
  18. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    A lot of selection, but my favorite of the entire saga is probably one of the following (all from RotS):
    • the scene after Anakin's dream (Anakin & Padme)
    • the Opera scene (Anakin & Palpatine)
    • the scene in the Jedi Temple after "...we do not grant you the rank of Master." (Anakin & Obi-Wan)
    Hard to choose really.

Samnz likes this.
  19. MasterCece

MasterCece Jedi Master

May 30, 2006
    Dinner conversation at the Lars homestead in ANH.

20. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Yoda vs. R2-D2

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  21. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Vader deciding to toss Uncle Palps down the Tower (non-"NOO" version)

22. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    This, too

23. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    There are so many conversations in Star Wars that I love, so I'm just going to throw something out there that hasn't been mentioned and tends to go under the radar due to popular dislike of a certain character...

And that is two scenes between Jar Jar and Padme in TPM.

The first is when she's cleaning Artoo and he startles her. I love how sweet he is in that scene and the fact that this is her first exposure to a race of beings on her planet that she undoubtedly had a negative and dismissive view of beforehand as being primitive and warlike. In this moment he shatters her preconceptions and paves the way for a new era of peace and understanding between their cultures.

And the second is on Coruscant when he shows a great deal of sensitivity and even wisdom about why the Naboo have those preconceptions while planting an idea in her mind for how she can take her planet back.

Those two moments alone make up for all the bumbling that Jar Jar does throughout the entire movie as far as I'm concerned and endear him to me eternally.

Rakeem D and Alienware like this.
  24. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    There are a lot of great conversations, many of which have already been mentioned.

One of my favs is from ESB:
    Leia: I'd just assume kiss a wookie!
    Han: I can arrange that! You could use a good kiss!

Carbon1985 likes this.
  25. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    ANH:
    Obi-wan telling Luke about the Jedi and his dad.
    Vader and Tarkin talking about the risk they are taking with the tracking device.
    The scene were Threepio and Artoo are fighting on Tatooine are Threepio kicks artoo.

ESB:
    "I am not a commite!" and The fact that Han can Arrange for Leia to kiss a wookie.
    The whole this deal is getting worse all the time scene.
    From The Force is with You Young Skywalker to You'll find I'm full of surprises."
    Chewie yelling at Lando about the hyperdrive, lando responds "I thought they fixed and it's not my fault."
    For some reason I also get a kick out of Threepio telling artoo not to talk to strange computers.

ROTJ:
    Luke tells Leia the truth.
    Vader and Luke on under the Landing pad
    Vader and Luke under the stairs on the DSII.

TPM
    The first conversation between obi-wan and qui-gon

Aotc-
    Anakin being a smart aleck to Obi-wan during the Zam Wessel Chase.

ROTS:
    Obi-wan reminding Anakin that the clones have there job and the have to rescue the Chancellor.
    Obi-wan, Anakin, Dooku, and Palps right up till the My powers have doubled line.
    Obi-wan trying to convince Anakin to spy on Palpatine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.