main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did Darth Maul track the Queen to Tattooine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Komodo9Joe, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Komodo9Joe

Komodo9Joe Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 1, 2013
    Oh, I soooo wish that thread wasn't closed; I tried all I could to make sure it was opened but my sensible pleas fell on deaf ears...:mad:
    The lesson of my efforts was that even if one is right, it does not always matter with the powers that be.

As creator of that thread (and this one for that matter), the critique of Sio Bibble was not meant to be hateful but amusing and eye-opening as a different take on the character. To answer your question, I believe Panaka was initially incredulous to what was going on; as head of security, he should very much know that a communications jamming is a serious threat and a sign of open hostility. The Queen on the other hand seemed to be wise to the situation, but she was torn on what to do.

2. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I think that's a fair take on the situation.

3. Komodo9Joe

Aug 1, 2013
    Glad you find it a fair take. I only wish that the moderator could also have seen the thread as fair, so you could have brought up your question in that thread rather than this one. :)

4. Komodo9Joe

Aug 1, 2013
    That line is both inapplicable and irrelevant to Sio Bibble sending the message. It's obvious that Sio Bibble could have sent that message (although he might have been coerced into it) because, as another post pointed out, many messages were able to be sent out from Gunray . The TF took down their blockade once they had secured the planet, therefore, it was likely TF confinement of the population and not communication jamming that stopped the people of Naboo from sending messages. Also, the communications that had been jammed were probably the inter-planentary communications not the intra-planetary communciations of Naboo. So don't quote that line in bold as if it's a line that brings finality or any clarity into the matter; lines which are stated on a specific situation don't stand secum when the situation itself changes: Panaka states that line while there is still a blockade and Sio Bibble sends the message after a likely change from the blockade to the occupation of the planet.
    Um...you can't simply "throw in things" on a claim that's completely unsupported. Well technically you can[face_laugh] , but the statements would lack all credibility and plausibility as your second statement does now.

Alexrd likes this.
  5. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Sio Bibble was waterboarded.

Pax Bandica likes this.
  6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I didn't throw anything in, those things were what we saw on film. The: "were-probably..." is your assumption, so I'm quite content with mine. ;) I appreciate the tl:dr approach to talking in circles as much as the next Star Wars fan, but be careful that you aren't found directing other posters with how they should quote, or with what they can / can't claim. Other Mods might not be so polite about it.:) At 00:2307 of the film Qui Gon states that the must make contact with the Republic and Panaka declares that they have no way to do that. The lack of communication is what gives it away to Kenobi that the msg is fake, he knows they went looking for transports for that very reason. That is how Maul found them from Coruscant, the msg was sent from there, thats how he was able to trace it.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
  8. Komodo9Joe

Aug 1, 2013
    Before I state anything, are there any other sources you have?

9. Komodo9Joe

Aug 1, 2013
    If there are no other conflicting sources, then that settles my question and this thread.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    They called old Spock on the alternate reality video chat system and he told them.

11. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    Yeah I remember a scene where Maul sent a a little ball machine to track them when he arrived on Tatooine and he intercepted a message to know what planet they were on.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Maul sent a probe out to find the Jedi, which it had in Mos Espa. Qui-gon destroyed one on his way out of the spaceport with Anakin.

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Padme probably told Palpatine (who's on Coruscant, not Naboo) that she's landing on Tatooine. Palpatine, being Darth Sidious, told Darth Maul.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No communications were sent. Padme was already playing handmaiden and Sabe knows better.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I always assumed that by accepting to receive the holomessage, it would somehow allow the sender to trace the location of the receiver. After all, it's implied in the dialogue.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's the most likely explanation. Sending a response would trigger a precise location sweep. That's why Maul doesn't land in front of the ship and instead uses probes to find his quarry.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Per DP, that is precisely how it went down.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    My thoughts exactly.

Indeed, I was only able to see the picture you posted above now (somehow it wasn't loading) and it actually goes into more detail.

19. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    But that does beg the question, if this method was known, why didn't the jedi realize that they were being traced? Obi-Wan only said, do not respond. If he knew that the simple act of getting the message would enable someone to track them, why didn't he mention that?
    They now know that someone will be coming for them.
    Or was this tech only something the sith had?

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's implied that the Sith made it possible to locate it:

"My lord, it's impossible to locate the ship. It's out of our range."

"Not for a Sith."

This is followed by the message being received on the Naboo ship and Maul mentioning the established trace to Tatooine.

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    -Looked at an old script, found a cut line...
    http://home.online.no/~bhundlan/scripts/Star-Wars-Episode-I.txt

OBI-WAN
    It's a trick. Send no reply...
    Send no transmission of any kind.

OBI-WAN is in the cockpit.

OBI-WAN
    ...the Queen is upset... but absolutely no reply was sent.

INT. ANAKIN'S HOVEL - MAIN ROOM - DAY

QUI-GON listens to his comlink.

QUI-GON
    It sounds like bait to establish a connection trace.

OBI-WAN
    What if it is true and the people are dying?

QUI-GON
    Either way, we're running out of time.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Though the line that SithStarSlayer provided was cut, it still holds in the film because Qui-gon concurs that it is bait to establish a connection trace. They're aware that someone is trying to find out where they are, which is why Qui-gon says that time is running out. It won't be long before they're found. What they don't know is who is searching for them. The advantage was that lack of reply bought them some time, because as we see, Maul lands on the other side of Mos Espa and has to rely on probes. That's why it takes him most of the day to find Qui-gon and then as soon as he does, he races to get him. Had he been a few moments later, he would have missed them entirely. Also remember, Maul's not 100% certain either. He says, "If the trace was correct".

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I always figured:

a) The Federation had blasters pointed at Naboo citizens to force his hand
    b) The message was a fake
    c) Sio Bibble was a traitor

The first time I saw the movie, I immediately thought c). After that, I alternated between a) and b), but now I'm pretty sure it's a).

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maul found them because George Lucas called him and read him the script.

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    For those that might've skipped reading this thread, the answer is B.
    :p

Revanfan1 likes this.