main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Grand Theft Auto

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediKnight20043, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

42: When switching from one character to another, if you fast travel to where you left the other character, odds are you'll still find him there and you can ask him to hang out with you.

That happened when switching from Franklin to Trevor last night. I left Franklin at the Sandy Shores airfield and had Trevor immediately drive from his trailer to the airfield. I picked Franklin up, flew to the other side of the map to pick up a UFO part, then flew back to Sandy Shores to play some darts. As the chopper landed outside the bar we stepped out and then a shootout started between some cops and the occupants of a car they were chasing. I stood there watching the scene when suddenly Franklin decided to help the cops by pulling out his minigun and finished off the perps shooting at the cops. For some reason the cops ignored Franklin so we simply went into the bar and played some darts.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes I found this out when I heard about the drug farm on Mt Chiliad. Went to hit it with Michael, nothing happened, found you could only do it with Trevor. Went there and there was Michael still wandering around quite annoyed to be left without a car. Haha.

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Oh and this.
    [​IMG]

I'M GANGSTA

4. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Now, out of all the meh songs peppering the soundtrack, why wasn't THIS included?

Chasing down someone who grieved you online with this playing on your car's speakers would've been...sublime.

And why for that matter couldn't we have a custom soundtrack station?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Online would be more fun if every single scratch didn't kill me. Still, good fun though. Mostly I'm just robbing liqueur stores at the moment. I still can't drive and I'm not good at getting away when my car gets impounded.

[​IMG]

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Is there not one like there was in GTA IV?

7. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Just jumped online and got a message about changing my character's appearance. Had no idea what that was about. Anyone else get that or know what it's about?

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Nope. Lucky for you, Mr. PC Guy, you'll probably be able to have one. :p

9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I got that message a couple of weeks ago, sort of like a semi character reboot after one of their title updates. You're given the chance to alter his/her appearance with that ridiculous thing they call a character creator.

I gotta post a selfie beside my Challenger analog. :p

In regards to hitting liquor/grocery stores, too much risk for too little reward IMO, other than the for the sake of the achievement/trophy I guess. The cops are on you right away and more often than not the clerk will pull a gun on you, so you have little choice to kill him and that's immediately a three-star wanted level. Not a sticky situation if you have a good car and know how to avoid the fuzz or properly hide from them, but still. And finally there's always the chance some idiot player will make a beeline for you if he notices your icon in a store, so you have to deal with that kill-or-be-killed scenario as well.

I wonder if some of the players have any idea how ******* expensive it is to die in freemode, if only so they'd be encouraged to live and let live if they see a white blip near them in their radar. But, silly me and all that. That's why I try to stay as long as possible within jobs or in the relative safety of "Passive mode". Regardless, it is ultimately more rewarding to do jobs, one after the other. If you have a very good team with you, Survival Mode can be very rewarding cash-wise if you manage to survive past the sixth wave.

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    This is exactly why I haven't spent much time in Online mode. Tried it once, did the starter race and a quick job with two other guys and it worked out fine except one of them had a horrible microphone that was spewing static the entire time. Then the game sent us to the open world and all hell broke lose as we quickly came under fire from what felt like all directions. I somehow managed to make it to a clothing store without being killed but heard lots of gunfire outside. I waited until the coast was clear and made my way to a car when this other car pulls up boxing me in. A guy gets out, approaches the passenger side door and I think "Oh he wants to ride with me cool, I'll let him in". Nope. Shotgun in the face. I sit through the explanation for passive mode and immediately flag it. Not a moment too soon because about 5 seconds later a car driven by the same guy who shot me the first time comes out of nowhere and runs me down, flinging my body into the air. I didn't die thanks to passive mode but it killed any motivation I had to keep playing and I haven't tried online since. The unstructured, uncontrolled PvP environment just isn't the type of game I want to play. It might be playable in a friends only game but most people I know are waiting for a the PC version.

11. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't know how it works but players who just go around killing others in free mode get labelled as 'bad sports' or something. Hopefully those of us who don't just kill others for fun will stay as 'good sports' or whatever and those who do will get grouped together, leaving the rest of us to hold up liqueur stores in peace. I know there's not much return for that, but every little helps and I want that achievement and the tattoos.

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I thought the good sport/bad sport thing had to do with quitting/not quitting jobs or matches, not with the freemode pvp carnage. But I'm honestly not sure about that.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Better graphics, more precise controls (mouse aim > controller aim, even considering autoaim), more players in MP and a customised radio station. Count our blessings!

I've watched a bunch of GTA:eek: videos - it looks like the best moments of GTA IV free mode (i.e. when players aren't capping everyone at every turn, but mucking about and having fun i.e. taking Sanchez bikes to the skate parts and half-piping, doing stunts around the airport, annoying the police) with a tonne of added features to enhance it. But it only takes 1 or 2 douchey players to ruin everything, so yeah - I hear you.

Watched a guy in YouTube doing the Route 68 race. He picked my favourite EFLC bike, the Bati 801RR for his first bike then Dinka for his second. Frustrating to watch someone who knows that the trick to a good start is to wheelie but not to push forward on the stick when going straight to lower wind resistance and build up speed. He threw away at least one win doing this.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Me shortly after surviving my first Survival round.

[​IMG]

Yeah, the Bati is a beast but unfortunately I've not been able to take advantage of it. If I understood your post correctly you mean I should do a wheelie just as I start then hug the bike to get a speed boost?

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but ensure you have cleared 100km/h or the rear wheels will struggle for grip. I don't ride myself IRL so no idea why the wheelie adds more speed in GTA but it does. Anyway you pull back through first 3 gears (marked by engine pitch shift), let go of the stick until 5th gear then press forward. Don't press forward in corners though...

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Is the GTA online any good. I already beat the game, but haven't bothered to play online yet

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Yes, very yes. It's a lot better if you have friends to play with, but you can still have fun on your own or with randoms. Plus, it's worth checking out sooner rather than later as everyone who plays this month will get $500,000 in game as a 'sorry for the problems' type gift from Rockstar. My only quibble is the character creator. I managed to get a character I'm happy with, but it's not easy.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  18. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I'll get right on it then. I have a few friends that play, but they are either on X box, or don't have internet.. I guess i'll find some randoms to play with.

19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Word to the wise, GTA$timulus notwithstadning, if you're going to climb the ladder to illicit fame and riches and spend time outside of jobs/mission in free mode, just watch your back. Getting killed by griefers or even by cops if a robbery goes wrong or for merely causing vehicular chaos is costly. Everytime you're wasted funds are deducted from your bank account to cover medical care and bail-bond. If you total any car you manage to legitimately own you're charged for repairs or replacement by the in-game insurance company. Other than that...the game is chaotic, addictive fun! :D

20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    good to know. Thanks for the info.

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't remember my car being expensive to replace, I think it was $125 or something, but it's not an expensive car and it's not modded. Not had problems with griefers though, so I guess I've been lucky.

22. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I had around $30,000 in the bank, nothing in cash, paused the game and walked away for ten minutes - came back $15,000 lighter. How many times was I killed? :p

Speaking of griefers and trolls, though, man, they're everywhere. I wouldn't join an Xbox Live party for this absurdly easy mission I was playing, so the host made a point of running me over. To spite them, I basejumped and "forgot" to pull my chute, thus using up the remaining team life. Troll me, I'll troll you :p

Another time, I joined a game and was cruising around Fort Zancudo - I made the jump from the freeway into the base, but got shot by a tank, and spawned on the marshy delta near the fort where two guys just kept killing me, despite my lack of armament, engagement, or interest in them. This happened a few times so I proceeded to hunt them down time and time again. They rage quit shortly after.

So yeah, the game is filled with rage-filled id monsters at this time, and the only way to survive is to embrace your own id monster. All I want is to earn some money but I've had trouble connecting to matches for a while. There are still a lot of kinks in the servers, and I really just want to play something more than the same dull missions time and time again. GTAV has a lot of room to be fantastic and fun and awesome online (just look at Rooster Teeth's recent let's plays), but it's just not quite there yet. Hopefully things will be running a lot smoother in a week or so.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wait wait wait... xbox live has mouth breather trolls with anger issues and poor social skills? Nevar! Next you will tell me there is lots of racism and misogyny there too!

24. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

I'll just make it clear right now, if they said anything, I never heard it, as I didn't have my headset on. They were just trolly in behaviour, whatever, it's GTA V, what did I expect?

Also, lol, pc master race :p

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    For once that wasn't restating the factual superiority of PC gaming to all other media. XBox Live in particular has a fairly bad reputation for the most anti-social, backwards, repellent behavior in all of gaming.

From what I understand of GTA V, the landing gear is not automated a la Just Cause 2 (which was based on proximity to land and speed). I know that leaving your gear down will cause wear on the plane's engine. But what I need to know is... if your landing gear is down, can it be used to smack pedestrians around?

Or: Could this be a replacement/companion to the hilarity of hitting people with your rotors in a chopper?