main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Death Star Owner's Technical Manual: Imperial DS-1 Orbital Battle Station

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Reading that Eye of Palpatine section just reminds me how dumb the overall idea of that is. I though it was dumb when COTJ came out, and while I appreciate the backstory here alluding to a longer Jedi purge as well as fear over the continuing power of the Senate (something which I think definitely gets forgotten lately - after all, from ANH the Senate is supposed to remain a powerful body up until it's dissolved) trying to fit it into the post-prequel history of the early Empire just makes it even dumber, IMO.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    For what it is worth, I have always been surprised Lucas never fixed that in the Special Edition. Seems like a pretty easy & obvious thing to repair.

--Adm. Nick

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

so there is the second one! always thought it should be the second one in fact ;)

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You know there was no proof there was a second one, the characters were just assuming based upon the psychology of Palpatine... :p

5. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    always two there are :p

blackmyron likes this.
  6. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Why the change back to the 120 km figure?

7. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
  8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Because constant changes renders these guides the validity of fan fiction?

9. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Yeah, why alternate information? Maybe to ensure consistency with the films, which the majority of sources don't?

10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  11. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Numbers are dangerous.. we all love them but we live with the risk of loosing them. At least now we know a Superstardestroyer is exactly 3 million clones long! (do not do the calculations, I tried.. it does not add up :p).

As for the Death Star... if it is a Silentium or Abominor it can grow and shrink you know... wouldn't it be sweet if Palpatine tried to grow his own super-Abominor to prepare for the coming of the Yuuzhan Vong... it would even make more sense for IG88 to attempt taking over the second Death Star if it was a droidbody to begin with... given the Wheel having supercomputers and droids guiding it, the Death Stars sure needed something equally powerful and independant.

12. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The Death Stars were built with von Neumann machines (ITW OT). It's theoretically possible they could change their dimensions like the World Devastators. And any and all machine/ship designs for that matter, since the Empire has that technology. :p

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  13. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Death Stars included Word Devastator-facilities... eating the blown up planets and churning out stuff... *mind blown*

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Though you still have to wonder why Jerjerrod asks for more men and not more machines in that case. [face_batting] And why Tarkin went scrounging the galaxy for slave labor.

15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Because if more research uncovers different information they shouldn't retain old information out of a sense of nostalgia?

Nope, there's one reference to "self-replicating construction droids" in the DS2 section, so that's all that's being created. However, there are also numerous references to human crews supervising, energy replenishment stations for the droids, and building materials being constantly supplied by spaceships.

Gorefiend likes this.
  16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I always imagined that the droids would handle most of the labor and slaves were needed for more technical work - it is work noting that two of the Empire's most commonly enslaved species, Wookiees and Mon Calamari, were known for their skill with machines.

Course, hard to imagine that slaves wouldn't sabotage things or at least be lazy, and the amount of engineers you would need to double check everything would make the slaves redundant.

Maybe that is why the DS2 got built so much faster.

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

I am pretty sure the Empire is rather good at motivation.

18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Death Star novel had a nice thing there with the exhaust port design and sabotage... its existance nearly could have been averted O:)

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Any information is irrelevant. The movies were made 30-35 years ago. You know the Death Star wasn't actually built in real life, and therefore all information is fictional?

Not out of nostalgia, which I couldn't possibly possess, out of a sense of consistency. Why should I care about any of this info it's just going to change every few years? The constant quibbling of LFL employees over such numbers comes off as incredibly trivial, and as a result these guides come off not as an "official source", but as published fanon, like something from some nerd's amateur website. The entire effort is counterproductive, imo.

Just pick a number and go with it. I don't care what the number is, it doesn't have to be perfectly accurate, it's fiction. As long as it's not so unreasonable as to be beyond suspension of disbelief, it's all good. If they say the Death Star is 120km or 160km or whatever, that's what it is, regardless of any other information.

I'd like to buy these guides, I'm a fan and have a few of them, but the constant changes have completely killed my desire to buy any more.

I guess this is a quirk of obsessed fleet junkies, which is probably why I'm not one.

The more they quibble over these numbers, the less they matter, which defeats the purpose of coming up with numbers, or any of the inner workings, at all.

20. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Anything in here about General Tagge?

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Gosh, really? You don't say. :rolleyes:

I was referring to new information discovered about the movies, the actual films themselves - like the recent article by Pablo.

I guess so. Thanks for stopping by.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's pretty much Incredible Cross-Sections in general- heavily based on content from an amateur website- since they hired the creator of the website to write it. ;)

MercenaryAce and Gorefiend like this.
  23. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Sadly, I think the building machines weren't part of their complement. Or maybe they were and that explains why the stations are so understaffed, too many von Neumanns. Er, von Neumen. ;)

Oh snap, I completely forgot this: the new online card game has yet another Death Star prototype included. Vader blows it up once he finds it's been infested with rebels.
    I kid you not.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Well... you know... there's actually a source that...

CeiranHarmony and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

:p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.