main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm sorry, have you ever met a Red Sox fan?

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I have, actually.

3. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Alou's reaction was awfull but I think if Bartman didn't go for the ball Alou wouldn't have caught it anyway. If anything, something else worse would have happened.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Alou admitted he wouldn't have caught it like 6-7 years later!

DarthTunick likes this.
  5. burrisjedimaster1

Jul 31, 2002
    I know, It was on the ESPN 30 for 30 deal. It would have bounced off his glove and been ruled a fair ball making him the scapegoat

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Though I'm actively pulling/rooting for Detroit to win the ALCS, I won't be all that upset if the Red Sox manage to take the pennant. Sorry about that, dp4m. :p

[​IMG]*

Holy crap, the Dodger offense showed signs of life tonight!: A Gonzalez double, a Puig triple & a Hanley infield hit that all lead to RBI's (among 6 other hits)... final score: (the insufferable) Cardinals- 0, Bums- 3. Aside from Hanley being in the lineup (I can't imagine the pain he's got to be dealing with part of his ribs being fractured... one bad slide, swing or hit ball and he'll be done for in this postseason), the great lift for the Bums was Ryu's excellent pitching (7 innings, 3 hits, 1 walk, 4 K's, 0 ER), rebounding niiiiiiiiiiicely from his terrible LDS start against Atlanta & out dueling Wainwright in the process. Still down 2-1 in the series of course, but at the very least a sweep was avoided, and the best avoidance of them all: the (insufferable) Cardinals can't clinch the pennant on my birthday (the 15th)! I've been through that once already ('08 against Philly), and that was more than enough for one lifetime.

*http://deadspin.com/yadier-molina-is-transfixed-by-the-dancing-bear-1445407721]The[/url] context of that dancing bear

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I've been rooting for the Dodgers but now I want to see DarthTunick and his neckbeard sag if they lose!!! <3

DarthTunick likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe the Dodgers will do so poorly that Tunick's neckbeard will disintegrate?

9. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Gotta remember Cards defense didn't show up yesterday. I know their offense didnt show up last night, (or for any night so far this postseason for that matter [face_plain]), but they practically gave the Dodgers those runs on a silver platter. If you remember 1 or 2 of those runs only scored because the outfield botched routine plays that they always make.

Should be an interesting and fun game tonight that in my opinion will decide the series. I'd feel a little more comfortable if Miller was starting tonight instead of Lynn, but it is what it is. If you look at it if the Cards loose tonight it doesn't look that good, with Grienke and Kershaw up for Games 5 and 6. Not pressing the panic button just yet, but if the Lynn of Mid-August through early September shows up tonight to pitch and things get out of hand fast, that panic button will be in hand shortly.

CuppaJoe and DarthTunick like this.
  10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    heels1785 likes this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Funny, I saw that earlier and was going to tag you with the link. Deadspin can smell bull faster than just about anyone.

And Happy Birthday!

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Hopefully the Dodgers can win for your birthday Tunes!

Juliet316 and DarthTunick like this.
  13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Since my birthday, they've played on this day 4 times: '88, '08, '09 and today. They're 1-2 thus far. :p

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah, but the '88 one should count at least triple

DarthTunick likes this.
  15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I know I've mentioned some of this before on this day here (and elsewhere), so I apologize for any repetition...

I can never fully explain just how insanely awesome, wonderful, exciting & fitting (given the environment I was born & raised into) it is to have that moment occurring on my (2nd) birthday... not just a classic moment for the franchise (that helped to inspire them to win the '88 Series), but arguably one of the greatest/finest postseason moments in all of baseball history. I really, really enjoy NBA basketball, and all the excitement, etc, the Lakers have brought to my life, but baseball has always been my number one sport, the Dodgers occupying a slightly more special place in my heart (sorry for the corny cliches :p ). Naturally the game was on the television in our old apartment as the party went on, but by the time the 9th inning came around, most everyone had gathered around the TV to see how it would end (as I've been told, obviously). Nobody can quite remember where I was at the exact time Gibson hit that home run -either playing around somewhere, or being held by somebody- but nonetheless I was in the vicinity of that television set. Not only did 2 of my mother's friends (a married couple at the time) skip the party to go the game, but I would later find out that the parents of one of my dear friends (who I first met in middle school) were also at the game. Wow!

And, considering the current NLCS, it's rather fitting that Jack Buck's call is as much a part of the lore of that night as Scully's... I obviously prefer Vin's call, but Buck's call is just as good, and I've enjoyed it rather greatly over the 100,000+ times I've watched re-plays of the home run over the past 20+ years. Of course, though, as much joy as all of that has brought, it would be ever so nice for at least one batch of new moments, memories to be made, stuff I can witness as its happening. Can Dem Bums win another pennant? :p

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well look on the bright side! They played on your Bday.

17. burrisjedimaster1

Jul 31, 2002
    I met a guy straight out of Boston today. He is a consultant for a software company that we use for support on one of our servers. He told me that Buckner, Dent, and Boone still get the majority of the conversation when talking about potential victories even with the recent winning decade Boston has had.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I swear, I should get my brother on here. He's the real sports nut of the family, though he's not as crazy as the craziest Sox fans are. We won? **** yeah, let's angrily riot. [face_plain]

burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  19. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I just realized that Ricky Nolasco is not, in fact, Javier Vazquez. I feel like this should have been more obvious.

In related news, does anyone else realize that Javier Vazquez hasn't pitched since 2011, but if he had pitched the last two years, he'd be on the verge of 3,000 strikeouts, 200 wins and a thoroughly perplexing Hall of Fame case?

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yankees fans: "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

heels1785 likes this.
  21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Deadspin has compiled moments from the Scott Van Pelt show of Scott making Tim Kurkjian laugh hysterically by closing each interview with Baltimore-speak. It's hilarious.

DarthTunick likes this.
  22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Since game 5 is set to start in just under 2 hours, there's not enough time to really properly wallow in the Dodgers losing (an LCS game) yet again on my birthday, frustratingly finding themselves in a 3-1 deficit against the never annoying, folksy Midwestern standard of excellence, and co-keepers (with Atlanta) of the sacred code of proper baseball in-game ettiquitte that are the St. Louis Cardinals. Instead, via Deadspin/CBS Sports, I'm going focus & enjoy all that is humorous about this photo:

[​IMG].

jcgoble3 and Juliet316 like this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    As if the guy diving head-first over the wall weren't hilarious enough by itself. XD

DarthTunick likes this.
  24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Back to St. Louis we go! Grienke was awesome. I really want to see Kershaw/Grienke vs. Scherzer/Verlander for everything.

DarthTunick likes this.
  25. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Panic button out and ready for use if needed :p