main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

I just used that as an example.

Those examples just prove my point though. Better to not have a consistant continuity that exists between all products and product lines. Thats way you can have stories being told without having to worry about how they effect everything else.

2. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    That's what they're going for with LFL, but the books will probably be telling smaller stories from now on.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wonder if there will be new books in regards to the potential new canon that the ST creates?

4. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    that's happening right now, we just haven't heard about them yet.
    Jennifer Heddle the Senior Editor at Lucasbooks, has said she's in constant communication with the film makers, and Dave Filoni
    She's responsible for Books, and comics.

Samayel_ likes this.
  5. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    I have a feeling tomorrow starwars.com will upload the first ESB teaser, confirming a countdown to a big reveal on Wed 30th (one year anniversary of the Disney deal) for EP 7.

Last Wed they posted the teaser to ANH. Empire tomorrow. ROTJ next week and EP 7 reveal the following week.

At least i hope so. It would be so exciting if i'm right.

6. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

If thast the way they go, there will be. There will be 20-30 years worth of untouched time in which to place material.

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I always thought that the ST would take place hundreds of years after ROTJ in order to not annoy and anger the EU purists. I still think they should go this route.

8. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Kinda hard to have Luke, Han and Leia, or their kids in the movie if thats the case.

The EU purists will get over it.

9. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    well you can have luke, he would be just all force glowy and ghostly.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No I'm saying don't have any of the three main characters (I REFUSE to utter "big 3") and to have completely new ones with obvious mentions to characters of the OT and PT.

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    At least we'd find out whether Luke looked this good when 900 years old he was after all.

(In all seriousness, this would have been a really bad idea, and I'm amazed that anyone would consider it preferable to alienating a small minority of the audience).

12. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the fetishistic fringe (including us). Just look at the mainstream coverage: the majority of the audience is not anticipating a distant future Star Wars. Still, I don't think that it's a bad idea, just not for EU reasons.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Or quit, at least in terms of following the 'new' universe.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Or explode. Or cease to exist. Or go back to the planet from whence they came.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah but you can say that it's just everything post ROTJ is the "new" universe and keep together everything still beforehand. It's only half-new!

16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm reading Brian Wood's Star Wars at the moment and I feel this is the way to go. Firstly, they need to be able to write stories that assume no prior EU knowledge--such baggage only acts as a barrier to entry for new readers. And secondly, they need to be free to overwrite established EU continuity as the need arises. Sure, pull-in old EU elements that fit into the spirit of the new stories, but don't be beholden to the old continuity

In current canon parlance, the old EU becomes S-canon.

Going forward, I imagine Disney/LFL following a model whereby episodes I-IX, spinoff films, TCW and Rebels all exist in one continuity, with new tie-in material supplementing that continuity. The old EU and S-canon can then act as a storehouse of elements that may or may not appear as needed.

Darth_Pevra, LawJedi and Krueger like this.
  17. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    From an interview, Lucasfilm asked Dark Horse to hire Brian Wood for the new comics series, the new books, and comics will be in the same continuity, as the TV, and films. Disney will want all the tie ins to be in one continuity. As Bob Iger said, the Holocron was full of elements and characters to draw on for future content.

18. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    This. But I think a day is going to come where a movie or TV show is made that doesn't fit into the main movie continuity. Detours would be the most obvious example of this. It feels inevitable.

19. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Those would pprobably have a side continuity, or be an infinities, like the Yoda chronicles frpm Lego. Disney, and LFL are working on a Phineas and Ferb /Star Wars story set during "A New Hope" In the past we had the Robot Chicken Star Wars specials. My avatar is from a marvel mini series that had a cameo from a teenage Luke Skywalker, and Mara Jade. We also have Star Wars angry birds, and all of that had to be approved by Lucasfilm Licensing. Disney is just as tight, if not tighter on licensing, if not tigher than LFL.
    Remember Bob Iger said Disney has complete creative control. The new main canon will be maintained by the story group. Disnry, and kathleen Kennedy want a fully integrated, and communicating LFL.
    TV guys will know what's going on with books, and comics, people from books, and comics will know what's going on with the film guys,.
    No editor, writer, or director, will be able to change something without the approval of the story group.

LawJedi likes this.
  20. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I know I rarely post these days and I have no idea whether this has been brought up but... why are Leland Chee and Pablo Hidalgo (sp?) still paid employees of Disney/LFL at the present moment? I think if the EU was to be canned, so would their jobs. *Disappear back into the shadows*

21. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    If they were to start a new EU, and they were planning to have elements from the old one who better to have.
    Also their jubs have kind of changed since the Disney sale, with the story group.
    They're coordinating books, comics, tv, and films to fit the new continuity. The new continuity will still need a Holocron database, and Leland is the best person to maintain it, and Pablo is responsible for everyone keeping the future stories straight.
    Follow their twitter feeds, it willl show you what they're still doing there.

Darth_Pevra and Artoo-Dion like this.
  22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Are you enjoying it? I found it so, so bland.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I've only read three issues so far. I'm largely enjoying the fact that the story is unhampered by continuity bloat and it could easily have been written 30 years ago. I'll let you know about the story itself once I'm further in.

24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i was actually reading that and it's not bad, it's just seems to focus on Leia more than any of the other characters.

25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    That story goes nowhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.