main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Rate the AVP Films

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Oct 15, 2013.

?

Pick Your Favorite

1. Predator

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Predator 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. AVP: Alien vs. Predator

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. AVPR: Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Prometheus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Alien

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  7. Aliens

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  8. Alien 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Aliens: Resurrection

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Let's see peoples views on the AVP series. Rate the films and pick your favorite. Have fun.

Here is my list:
    1) Predators
    2) Aliens
    3) AVP
    4) Alien
    5) Predator
    6) Prometheus
    7) Alien 3
    8) Predator 2
    9) Aliens: Resurrection
    10) AVPR

2. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Oh. Can a mod add Predators to the poll after AVPR and before Prometheus. Thanks

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Predator, Alien, or Aliens, decisions decisions.

07jonesj likes this.
  4. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm not a Predator fan, though I do like the Aliens franchise, so I'm only including the Aliens films.

1) Aliens
    2) Alien
    3) Prometheus
    4) Alien: Resurrection
    5) Alien 3
    6) AVP

Never seen the second AVP.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Aliens
    Alien
    Prometheus
    Predator
    Alien vs Predator
    Alien vs Predator: Requiem
    Alien 3
    Alien Resurrection
    Predator 2

Haven't seen Predators yet

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Only watched the first AvP, and then only because it was sitting in my library's DVD shelf and got my curiosity. Wouldn't call myself a fan, though.

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The only thing that sucked about AVPR was the human stories. All the Yautja hunting scenes and xenomorphs and the predalien were good. I could have watched two hours of Predator hunting.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    How did you put avp above alien.

TrandoJedi and Ender Sai like this.
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Predators at #1? lol

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Aliens
    Alien
    Predator
    Alien 3
    Prometheus
    Alien Ressurrection
    Predator 2
    AvPR
    AvP

The first three I could flip flop at any time.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    What? How can you rate Alien Res over Predator 2?

Predator 2 had:

1) Danny Glover
    2) Danny Glover
    3) "want some candy?"
    4) DANNY GLOVER.

Dear god man... The above doesn't factor in GARY FREAKIN' BUSEY and Bill Goddam Paxton!

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Predator 2 was a bad movie with a great ending.
    Alien Ressurrection was awesome right up until the pirate captain got killed and I like the underwater scene. It does however have the worst movie monster ever. But yes, I put it a tad above P2.

13. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The Alien Saga:
    1. Alien
    2. Alien 3
    3. Aliens
    4. Alien Resurrection
    The Predator Saga
    1. Predator
    2. Predator 2
    3. Predators
    The AVP Saga
    1. Alien vs. Predator: Requiem
    2. Alien vs. Predator

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't remember Glover, Busey or Paxton being in A:R. [face_plain]

15. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Predators gives off so many hints that it's actually AVP3. And the only good AVP film.

1. The Preds in the movie are actively taking tropies. Yet Royce and the others find a dead soldier in the middle of his booby traps. The Preds didn't attempt to get his skull.
    [​IMG]

2. The dead soldier also has a gaping hole in his chest....and it looks exploded outwards.
    [​IMG]
    Granted, we never see the guy's back, so there might be an even bigger exit wound...but....
    [​IMG]
    The actual prop did not have a hole in its chest. It was CG'd on in post production.

3. When they find the dropped cages, containing various nasties, including the Hounds and the Proto-Predator (aka the big mantis thing that was originally Jean Claude Van Damme's Predator costume), they also see a group of crates that are rather small. About the same size as cat carriers. You know what else is the size of a cat?

Either that or they swung by Isla Sorna and grabbed a few compies.
    [​IMG]
    Which would be awesome.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    AVPR was horrendous because of stale characters and only okay plot. AVP was a pretty good film and had a pretty good story (which Prometheus "accidentally" copied).

17. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    AVP's only real problem was the fact that....it takes place in freakin Antarctica. Which does not mesh with the rest of the Alien/Predator mythos.
    1. In Alien, there is an emphasis on heat in the Nostromo. Steam vents, flashing orange and red light, the alien crawls through air ducts, and Brett is killed seeking relief from the heat by letting condensation from the equipment drip onto his head.

2. Aliens follows the heat theme. Where does the queen make her lair? Under the colony's nuclear reactor.

3. Alien 3. More heat! Fury 161 is a barren prison planet with a red sky. Funeral scene for Newt and Hicks is via cremation in the furnace. The inmates routinely travel through ventilation systems and use open flames for light. The climax? They lure the creature into the lead foundry and pour molten metal on it. Then Ripley tosses herself and little queenie into the molten lead to finish the movie.

4. Alien Resurrection. More heat, mostly in the atmosphere just like the Nostromo.

5. Predator: Anna says "Only in the hottest years this happens. And this year grows hot"

6. Predator 2: News reporter talks of the Los Angeles heat wave. Speculation that the Haitians and Cubans' turf war is escalating because of the heat.

AVP: Under Antarctica. Just because.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Just because they didn't want the xenomorphs escaping. ;)

19. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Also. AVPR didn't have a "plot"

What it had was a collection of scenes lifted from the other movies. Among the most egregious:

1. Tough Latina soldier character. (Vasquez in Aliens)
    2. Female character carries around a little girl through the whole movie (Ripley and Newt in Aliens)
    3. Guy yells "Get to the chopper!" to help his comrades escape ("GIT TO DA CHOPPAH!" in Predator)
    4. Doctor gets killed in a hospital room by an alien sneaking up from behind a curtain (Clemens' death in Alien 3)
    5. Panicking commander watches helplessly on a monitor as his soldiers are picked off by aliens (Gorman in Aliens during the first attack)
    6. Guy dies when his face melted when sprayed with acid from a blasted alien (Drake's death in Aliens)
    7. Yutani Corps' CEO is there. (Charles Bishop Weyland in AVP; Michael Weyland in Alien 3)
    8. Anonymous dead guy skinned and left hanging upside down in the middle of a forest. (Hopper's body in Predator)

20. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Ah. But how did they know that the aliens would even breed in Antarctica? The first pyramid segment shows them in Central America.

And the queen went for a heat source when she was laying eggs in Aliens...as did the drone alien on the Nostromo when he decided to coccoon and morph Dallas and Brett.

21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012

22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

I disagree. I sincerely enjoy Pred 2 considerably more than its prequel, if only because we got to see a few more tantalizing details about their society and sense of honor. Though admittedly it did set the stage for the live action crossover with the xenomorphs and the suckage that followed.

That said, OP, the AVP films only comprise said crossovers. When mentioning the Alien and Predator franchises, you just don't bundle them up together under the moniker "AVP".

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Predator had terrible performances, bad action, and I'll never get over a Yautja caught on a ledge and inside of 10 seconds decides to detonate its nuclear device because the film maker decided that such a powerful creature can't do a pull up.
    Predator was a cool, slick, suspensful, badass flick. Predator 2 is what happens when the wrong writers and directors get hold of a good idea.

24. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    The predators had their training facility in Anartica to keep the aliens from escaping. The first pyramid you see is the predators actually being worshipped by the people. Thus the willing sacrifices. One more thing, about P2, Its hard to do a pull up when you get shot twice with a shotgun. It was a FU moment to Danny Glover.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    1. Alien

2. Aliens

3. Miley Cyrus Twerking

[​IMG]

4. Alien Resurrection

5. Natalie Portman vs Mila Kunis

[​IMG]

Oh, and key lime ice cream with Sambuca poured over it.

BigAl6ft6, TX-20 and VadersLaMent like this.