main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Jett Lucas looks like Marshal Mathers.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  3. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    It's not the same interviewer, it's a different video

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Got it. :D

5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    George Lucas has Mystery Treatment.

Oh no, get well George. :p;)

SkywalkerSquadron likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Thanks! It looked like I was having a schizophrenic conversation with myself.

eht13 likes this.
  7. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I just went over all the videos & major articles from last November & December and it gets pretty confusing between GL describing the outlines as having "all sorts of gaps" and Bob Iger calling them "extensive" and "detailed". Hopefully they'll be included on the Blu Rays or something.

8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I've theorized before that Michael Arndt fleshed out George's treatments, and that is what was presented to Disney. That would gel with Deadline's report on Michael Arndt's 40-50 page treatment for the entire ST.

Immortiss likes this.
  9. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    Thanks for this thread guys. I just now got interested in Star Wars again and I was wondering about the whole "story treatment" thing. So I guess this is going to be actual "Lucas story" Star Wars? Love George's stories, doubt if I'd be interested in a SW film if he didn't write the story for it.

Great thread, though I'm a little depressed that even after a two-year absence, I still have to wade through repetitive Red Letter Media-related crap one here.

Also I thought this was hilarious:

I remember this started in maybe the 1990s, and now it's kind of like an epidemic. It's weird, even people who know absolutely nothing about Star Wars and don't even care about it will use it as a kind of shortcut to sophistication.

my kind of scum, Veloz, Dasan and 4 others like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I think Lucas had a general idea in mind that remained consistent. He wasn't necessarily making it up as he went along.

11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Making it up as you go along used to be called Storytelling. Then they started scratching it onto rocks and leaves and things. It became known as "writing".

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I just wish Lucas would stop saying "that was the original idea all along."

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  13. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Maybe it was . . .

Andy Wylde, Darkslayer and FRAGWAGON like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    "It's all part of the plan..."

15. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    With all the treatment rewrites he seems to have done back before the 1st SW, the idea was probably there at some point.

16. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Yeah. I've seen people say things like "I think Lucas is just pulling this story out of thin air". Of course he is! That's what creating fiction is all about!

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I wish I could pull stories out of thin air, but I guess I don't have the right wrist movements to do so.

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    It takes dexterity. But it takes a super ninja to turn it into $4 + billion.

Andy Wylde and Count Yubnub like this.
  19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The only thing that happens when I do it is painful cramps.

20. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

I've always felt Iger was overplaying the depth of the George Lucas treatments for the sake of fans and investors. Having just spent 4 billion he was never going to say they'd bought George's unpolished, gap-filled outlines.

21. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I'm not sure what any treatment could be. It could include:

-Stuff (notes) from a pre-ESB (1977-1978) conception of the saga (though the only thing I can think of that was mentioned in regard to this was Luke's Sister, which got tied off when the Sister, the Other, and Leia were all merged together in ROTJ)

-Stuff (notes) from the time (1979-?) when Lucas wanted the Sequels to talk about philosophy, passing on what you have learned, and the post-Imperial galaxy

-Random stacks of notes for things that never got used in the other movies, which could be combined into something usable by Lucas or someone else

-New ideas or notes that are more recent, created specifically for the new projects

-Some combination of the above

There are so many different versions of plans Lucas had, it could really be anything. But no matter what the numbers of movies, I think he probably had some consistent ideas - the prequels certainly did. And even though the ideas for the PT were far more well-developed than were any ST ideas during the making of the OT, I think Lucas probably did have some ideas for what could happen, what he'd like to see. They were just probably very vague.

Trebor Sabreon and markdeez33 like this.
  22. Darth_Magus

Darth_Magus Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    I see a few people are under the impression that George pretty much created the entire mythos himself, which is not strictly true. After his car accident he then became interested in the works of Joseph Campbell and his work on the mono myth, comparative religions, and of course, the Hero's journey, all which fed quite deeply at times into the OT. Now considering he has already said in the past how the third trilogy would explore the more philosophical implications between the Jedi and Sith training and perceptions, I can't help but wonder how the underlying mythology of our World will play into this. I also find it more then interesting that the sequel trilogy is about passing on what you have learned and lo and behold Star Wars has been passed on to someone else.

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Well it's relative I suppose... one persons 'unpolished' is another persons 'refined'... but given Lucas' personality I would imagine his treatments where fairly detailed - gaps and all. :)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's pretty common knowledge that GL has had outlines for the sequels since the 80's since Dale Pollock saw them and said they were detailed enough to have characters and new worlds and action scenes described. I believe he also said that there were 12 episodes and that Episodes 7, 8, 9 dealt with Luke in his 30s/40s so Arndt's work on them could have been condensing these six stories into the ST and updating them for the new timeline with Luke in his 60s.

Immortiss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.