main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    How? She's a computer person they shorthand everything. It doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility for her to try to shorten Agent Coulson.

teamhansolo likes this.
  2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Yeah but we already knew she was a computer geek and hacker. I just find it annoying and awkward.

3. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    So a computer geek and hacker isn't allowed to act like a computer geek and hacker? That doesn't make sense.

teamhansolo and Juliet316 like this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Face and hair, though, Skye is all Dushku-lite.

5. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

They can act as stereotypical as they want, doesn't mean I have to like it.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I still prefer Son of Coul.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

So I take it you don't like a lot of people who act like themselves?

Still don't see it.

8. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

Exactly, I dislike everyone and everything for remotely acting like themselves.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hate everything and everyone equally.:)

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Okay, good to know.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Fun episode.

12. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I thought it was the best episode of the season so far. Very tightly written.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I have to agree- this was the best episode so far (last week's wasn't bad, but I wasn't as impressed with that one as most people seemed to be). Outside of a couple cringe lines it was a much more effective story with some nice spy stuff going on and an intriguing mystery.

The lack of reaction to the red masks was a bit odd- though there was some reaction, it was a bit too subtle. I mean, I guess it was realistic to a point- I know if a group of red mask guys dressed the same walked around a NYC festival area, people would just assume they were another street art troupe or viral video thing being filmed- up until you're stuck on a subway car with them and kinda have to acknowledge them slightly, ha.

Looks like the next episode will be tying advancing the 3rd Party blender subplot as well as Skye's infiltration. Whether or not that ties into the events of the episode is hard to say though.

The (presumably) Chitauri formulas and the secret controller might be a separate subplot tying back to the device Ward recovered in Paris- it isn't necessarily connected to the 3rd Party.

However, what is a bit weird is, if this effort is about retro-engineering Chitauri tech- why is it taking so long? And what is the big deal? It's been anywhere from 6 months to a year since the events of Item 47- SHIELD already has Chitauri-derived laser guns (not to mention Asgardian-derived weaponry that have had functional prototypes for 1-1.5 years).

Now, granted, Item 47 doesn't give an exact timescale to it's end credits tech evolution cycle, but I don't think it's implied to be that long.

Of course, with Agent MIB returning later this season, maybe the events of AOS will be expanding upon the tech evo credit sequence set within that timeframe.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

Does no one else think it's a red herring?

Either Coulson knows she's a spy and is playing along, or the 'traitor' is May or Ward. A bit too obvious to be Skye and for Coulson to act surprised after his conversation with Fury.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    If it's a red herring its of the former, not the latter
    given she was texting her Rising Tide buddies that she was 'in' in "0-8-4." So either Coulson's been playing along all along and was using her to get to the Rising Tide (which admittedly would reveal a darker side of Coulson than we've seen and add some deeper depth to his character that we haven't quite seen, even in the movies.), or there's another Jossesque twist coming that we're presumably not expecting.

Not saying the traitor couldn't be another agent, but I sincerely don't think it's May, if only because A) the writers seem invested in holding onto her backstory and the mystery of why she decided to leave being a field agent in the first place and B) it seems like there's been an effort from episode one to establish that there's, if not friendship, then definitely a deep bond between Coulson and May, and lets face it, Coulson would not have gotten as far up as he did in SHIELD if he didn't have sound gut instincts, so I don't think, friend or not, he'd have let May anywhere near 'the Bus' if he thought she traitor.

As for Ward... Joss usually pulls these kind of character twists on characters we've grown to care about (see: Dollhouse, Buffy, Angel), and quite frankly, nothing thus far has made me actually care or worry about what might happen to Ward if he was revealed a traitor. So at this point, unless next Tuesday proves me really really seriously wrong (and the actor who plays Ward has greater acting skills than we've seen thus far to play a villian), I doubt it's Ward either.

Sorry for being so rambly.

16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I'm not saying any of them actually ARE a traitor, but framed? Definitely possible. Skye's reaction shots could easily be about thinking Ward had betrayed them. Afterall, there is some mystery in his back story. Same with May.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    We saw Coulson putting cuffs on Skye in the next time promo.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So would she basically be the US version of Billie Piper (actress attached to well known franchise with little known pop music past)? :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also,
    May: Bus to short bus.
    Ward: Go for short bus.
    Coulson: Next time I'll decide what we call ourselves, ok.

[face_laugh]

21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Got to watch episode four last night. Very enjoyable. Not as good as the third, but it gave me optimism for a number of reasons. First, it felt like the focus was the episode. I didn't feel like I was watching a commercial for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I liked this episode because it was enjoyable, not because I want to enjoy a Marvel TV show.

Even better, the episode worked. Nothing seemed forced. The character interactions seemed relatively natural. The humor lines worked and didn't feel forced.

22. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Just rewatched the first episode. I noticed the one guy has some very Spider like qualities when he climbing up to that lab. ;)

23. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I'm waiting for a few more episodes to come out then I'm doing a marathon watch. Sometimes I like to do that with shows, some binge watching.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So... Grantland did an article on this today (somewhat middling-to-negative), but the more interesting thing was in the Facebook comments. There was an assertion made that Marvel/ABC owns all of their character rights for TELEVISION (as the movie rights are apparently on a different contract).

If true... that's a pretty big potential game changer, no? Wolverine, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, etc. could all be used in the show? That doesn't SEEM right (especially with this last episode explicitly debunking ESP/telepathy, etc.) but that'd be a huge advantage...

25. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    It's been brought up before- I know disney has the animated tv rights.... not sure on live action (and I don't think it's been stated to the public how their deal is structured).