main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    You are giving me a kriff'n headache TrakNar. I think you might have way too much time on your hands. :p

TrakNar and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Currently listening to this piece, which is considered to be the loudest orchestral composition of all time. It's called "Hekla" and it's by Jón Leifs.

Jedi_Lover: Indeed she does. ;)

3. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    They're redoing the road about a block east of my house, and they just dumped two or three tons of gravel into a hole. Shook my whole house for a good ten seconds as it all settled.

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    That is an awesome piece of music.That has to be at least ffff or blastissimo. The loudest I ever got to play in concert band was fff (fortississimo). It was for Lord of the Rings. They had lost the mallet percussion part, so I got put on crash cymbal. It was epic, especially when we preformed it in a huge auditorium.

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Got my fourth Gym Badge. Got my Abra (now a Kadabra) up to snuff. He's still lower than the rest of the team, but he can hold his own, finally. Learned some better moves, too. And St. Elmo is a Charizard. He is so awesome in his Mega Charizard X form, black and blue with blue flames. It makes his name even more epic. Also, Flamin' Yawn is a Delphox and he loves me. :3

Still got more grinding to do. Need to get my level 30s up to the 40s like St. Elmo, Flamin' Yawn, and Quacklin'.

6. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    My favorite part of the piece by far is the siren, it just brings it all together in a glorious "oh crap, we're in trouble now" moment...

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    LOL. yeah.

So, I guess I won't be getting a 3ds anytime soon (unless someone decides they really love me at Christmas time). Basically, this morning I fell while carrying my laptop (and a bunch of other stuff) and cracked inside of the screen (for you non-techies means that most of my screen is random, funny colours and blank). I managed to get everything off of it (praise the maker! and I can still see the lower 1/4th of the screen if I need anything else off of it), but its unusable. I went into staples and they told me that with tax and labor, fixing it was going to cost $400. I was NOT going to pay that for a 3 year old computer that cost me $700, and being an university student, I couldn't wait the 2 weeks it would take to get the new screen in, so I just bought a new laptop. Now I have to bloody figure out windows 8 and reinstall everything. I love new stuff but in the middle of the semester is not the time to be playing around trying to figure everything out.

Also, does anyone know what I should do with the broken laptop? I'd hate to see it go to waste, it's a fairly nice computer, but even if I just give it away, no one is going to spend the $400 it will take to fix it when you can buy a half-decent new one for that price. It can be hooked up to a tv or monitor to be used, I guess. I'm just wondering, if I find a broken laptop with a okay screen, how hard would it be to take the old screen off and put the new one on?

8. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    You can get monitors of the same size as your laptop's screen for pretty cheap, you just route the laptop through it as a display.

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    By the way, Goodwood, I love that quote in your signature.

I am in a job-hunting phase for reasons that are still not clear to me. No, seriously. And my trip that is booked and paid for is getting closer.

On the other hand, The Goldbergs is a really funny show.

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Blargle. Sicker today. However, I'm going to a neighborhood Halloween party this evening, so I'll spread my pestilence there.

11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    DarthIshtar: What's your career field? Are you looking at a looming downsizing or something? At least you'll have that trip to enjoy...

Regarding the signature: ironically, the woman who played Bozo wasn't exactly stupid herself. ;)

TrakNar: Well, just dress up as a germ.

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Goodwood. I decided to find a new job a couple of months ago because of some policy changes. I got a great new job. Then 3 weeks in, they told me that no one likes me but they were going to reserve judgment because I was new and getting used to the job. They also said that they'd be talking to me the next week about how to improve. Never happened. They also said that there were concerns, but when I pressed for information, they clammed up. So they told me two weeks later (a.k.a. Tuesday) that there were concerns two weeks ago and because I haven't been there very long, they're not going to bother with giving me an idea of what could be improved. Then they said that we had to part ways immediately because I wasn't responding to their feedback. I pointed out to them that they never gave me ANY feedback other than that they'd be giving me feedback in the future. So now I'm looking for a job after leaving a perfectly good job where I was getting paid more money but no one respected me for a job where I was enjoying myself but apparently sucked.

13. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Sounds like they were giving you the runaround, Ish. Bunch of spineless worms. Here's hoping you get something better, and soon.

14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Sorry about the job, Ish. :( That was pretty awful of them.

So, I saw the Dalai Lama (from a short distance) completely by accident today. It was kinda cool.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I was dressed as a werewolf. I had bought an articulated mask, and I made sure to get into character when the time came. Walking with a stooped, loping gait, growling and snarling... Acting inhuman comes quite naturally to me.

I placed second against a kid in the costume contest, which I suspected as I was one of two adults who participated. I didn't even place in the door decorating contest. The judge chose only those porches with the generalized fall motif, so my severed head, blood-smeared front door, spiders, and butcher-wrapped organs were right out. Then, some kid stole my prize from the costume contest.

16. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    TrakNar: Hunt him down and make an example of him!

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It would help if I knew which kid did it. I have no solid leads to go on.

I got a new goody bag anyway.

18. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I trolled my family tonight. Went something like this:

Me: *makes dinner, dyes spaghetti noodles green*
    Stepdad: Why is it green?
    Me: You said we needed more greens in our diets!
    Stepdad: . . . That isn't what I meant.

My doctor thinks I'm having tension headaches. Yeah, after 18 months solid almost? Anyway, I'm going to start physical therapy tomorrow to see if that helps. If it doesn't, I guess we'll look into a neurologist.

Right now I'm having an awesome mix of ice cream from Coldstone: pumpkin ice cream, chocolate cake batter ice cream, brownies, almonds, and yellow cake. And then I'm going to take one of the pills I paid $17 for earlier today, which my insurance doesn't cover, and then I'm going to watch last night's CSI and go to bed.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. That's awesome. A friend of mine watched him speak live at some conference.

One of my friend's mothers once saw the Queen of England completely by accident. This was back in the early 90s and the queen was doing one of her trips across Canada.

Man, I love Coldstone creameries, but we don't have one in town.

So, today, it was so foggy here all day, you could only see like a metre in front of you. I felt like I was in the Mist by Stephen King

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I hope you feel better. $17 for pills sound like a good deal, unless you are talking about $17 per pill. My son's meds are almost $2 per pill and that is just the copay I fork out. They would cost hundreds of dollars per month if I didn't have insurance. :(

21. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    That's the bottle of 30. I usually only have to pay $3, but the medication my insurance covers makes me sick. This one doesn't, but it isn't covered. So I had to choose, would I rather have the $14 or no stomach aches?

22. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I was once at a conference where Queen Noor of Jordan (American citizen who married King Hussein) when she addressed the assembled attendees of the 20th Arab American and Chaldean Convention (if I recall the name correctly). The chapter of Phi Beta Kappa I was a probationary member of had actually been selected to perform ushering duties for the event at the Detroit Renaissance Center, but once everyone had been directed to the place and seated, we were offered the chance to share the meal and listen to her give her address. Don't remember a word of it, unfortunately, though I do remember that she was a very well-spoken person and was big into the social justice movement.

Dantana Skywalker: Sorry to hear about your headaches, but that was an epic win with the spaghetti trolling.

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That is why my son's and my medication is so expensive. We can't use the generic brand because they make the situation worse. So crappy medicine is really cheap and the stuff that works is expensive. Normally I have a $5 copay if any, but these non-generic drugs I have to pay upwards of $50 copay. But they work so what am I going to do?

24. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    For the most part, generic works just fine for me. But with these headaches, literally only the more powerful stuff works. Standard naproxen, ibuprofen, tylenol, etc? Don't work at all. And percocet gives me terrible stomach pains if I don't take it just the right way. So I'm on fioricet for the headaches. Lortab makes me barf. And anything stronger would be, like, morphine (which burns and I hate it).

25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Naproxen doesn't help me at all. Demerol is the only pain reliever that helps, but for some reason my doctor won't prescribe it for me. :p Seriously, for some reason morphine does not work on me or my youngest son...it's weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.